Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Users Experienced Heartburn?

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 10/29/2013 1:47 am

It has been 3 1/2 months since I started spiro and I'm finally clear (the hyper pigmentation is slowly healing) and I'll be seeing a derm next week. Have any spiro users experienced heartburn while taking this drug?

I've had a bit of heartburn these past couple of days so I took some TUMS and I feel fine now. (I've had heartburn maybe once before this since I started taking the drug)

I'm curious if others have experienced this.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 10/29/2013 6:51 pm

I did. I think the minty flavour they put in it might contribute to this. Just a guess.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/30/2013 1:18 am

Spironolactone slows the growth of fibrous tissue.

It won't be noticeable in someone with a perfectly healthy stomach.

If you already have ulcers (perhaps small ones you didn't know about), it can magnify the ulcers because fibrous tissue is how the body heals ulcers.

So in summary, it won't cause ulcers or heartburn, but if you already have them, it can make them more noticeable.

I alway stake spironolactone with food. I've noticed most of the women who have digestion / heartburn problems with spiro take it on an empty stomach or with small snacks. I take it with a full meal.

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 10/30/2013 2:11 am

If you already have ulcers (perhaps small ones you didn't know about), it can magnify the ulcers because fibrous tissue is how the body heals ulcers.

So in summary, it won't cause ulcers or heartburn, but if you already have them, it can make them more noticeable.

I alway stake spironolactone with food. I've noticed most of the women who have digestion / heartburn problems with spiro take it on an empty stomach or with small snacks. I take it with a full meal.

Thanks Green Gables for your input. Always helpful.

I'm not aware of having any ulcers but perhaps I might have small ones.

I take spiro with food (an actual meal) and it could have been that I didn't have enough to eat when I started getting heartburn. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 11/01/2013 11:42 am

Travellinggal1170, I also responded to your post but I guess you didn't notice since you only thanked GreenGables for her reply. Anyways, dozens of websites note peppermint as a heartburn trigger, as I said:

http://www.m.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods?page=3.

But it's just a guess since there is no way to predict exactly how individuals will react to a given medication.

I take spiro with food (an actual meal) and it could have been that I didn't have enough to eat when I started getting heartburn. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 11/01/2013 11:49 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you.

Thanks for your feedback and glad it's not just me.

Thanks for the link about peppermint and heartburn. Not surprising since spiro has a minty taste to it.

cheers!

Travellinggal1170, I also responded to your post but I guess you didn't notice since you only thanked GreenGables for her reply. Anyways, dozens of websites note peppermint as a heartburn trigger, as I said:

http://www.m.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods?page=3.

But it's just a guess since there is no way to predict exactly how individuals will react to a given medication.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 11/01/2013 11:57 am

No problem. Peppermint is added to almost all brands of spiro (probably to offset a chalky medicinal taste). Try taking it a few hours before bed, perhaps.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you.

Thanks for your feedback and glad it's not just me.

Thanks for the link about peppermint and heartburn. Not surprising since spiro has a minty taste to it.

cheers!

Travellinggal1170, I also responded to your post but I guess you didn't notice since you only thanked GreenGables for her reply. Anyways, dozens of websites note peppermint as a heartburn trigger, as I said: http://www.m.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods?page=3.

MemberMember
(@ann-b)

Posted : 11/15/2013 10:30 pm

It has been 3 1/2 months since I started spiro and I'm finally clear (the hyper pigmentation is slowly healing) and I'll be seeing a derm next week. Have any spiro users experienced heartburn while taking this drug?

I've had a bit of heartburn these past couple of days so I took some TUMS and I feel fine now. (I've had heartburn maybe once before this since I started taking the drug)

I'm curious if others have experienced this.

I am prone to gastric ulcers, and I have had one ulcer in the 5 months I've been on spiro, but can't say for sure this is any more frequent than usual. I used a round of Prilosec (Omeprazole) as usual and no more ulcer.

MemberMember
(@cocoskin)

Posted : 11/20/2013 5:13 pm

Hello,

I just discontinued Spironolactone due to the fact that it caused Acid Reflux which I have never had before taking this medication. It is not listed as a side effect but this medication is the ONLY thing that changed in my daily routine. I was only taking 50mg daily in the morning with food and I was going on my 3rd week of taking this medication. I drank plenty of water and did not have the dizziness or dehydration that is associated with this potassium-sparing diuretic. This medication causes other side effects and health issues which are not mentioned should you look it up on the internet or even on the pamphlet the pharmacy gives to you. The FDA should be notified of any side effects that are not listed for medications.

I developed a constant "salty taste" in my mouth that would not go away and then had some chest pressure. This then became worst and I reached a point where swallowing even water was a problem and had a weird sensation in my throat and my voice became hoarse. That was a warning that something was not right and I saw my physician. We both came to the conclusion that it was this medication. I had my blood tested and the potassium and electrolytes were normal. Spironolactone and other diurectics affect the way the GI system processes foods and at what rate also. Prolonged and continued use of this medication can cause Gastoparesis and it also is linked to Macular Degeneration. Just because a side effect is not listed with this medication DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT CAN NOT OCCUR. Listen to your body and if something does not seem right be sure to call/see the physician to report it so that this medication does not cause further health problems

During my first week of taking this medication I expected the increase in urination and some of the other listed and common side effects. I only had the urination issue which was not a problem. I was hoping that this medication would be my answer to the hormal acne I have had but it is not worth causing damage to other organs in my body.

Cocoskin