Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hello,

i read a post that questioned whether one could contract HIV from Needling. I was actually wondering the same thing for dermabrasion treatments or even microdermabrasion. It is an interesting question because how could the doctors afford to throw out a mechanical device after just one use? i'm not completely familiar with these procedures so your input would be greatly appreciated. thank you. eusa_eh.gif

In theory HIV, Hepatitis and other diseases can be transmittted by any treatment which penetrates the skin, but I don't know of any reputable practitioner, whether it be an esthetician, doctor, or even a tattoo artist who does not follow universal precautions. Most microdermabrasion handpieces are disposable, the ones that aren't are always autoclaved before reuse. With dermabrasion, again most parts are disposable and the parts of the handpeice that are not are cleaned with Cavicide ( usually in an ultrasonic cleaner ) then autclaved. Needling, permanent cosmetics, tattoos are done with disposable needles that are never reused. Most machines today have all disposable parts. Your technician will always show you the sealed package with the sterile needles etc. NEVER be frightened to ask to see them.

So the essential message of this post is: avoid the doctor who approaches you with a blood-encrusted wire brush/diamond fraise?

I would definitaly ask how they sterilize their instruments, actually I would ask any Dr. using any instruments on you. You need to make sure that they use an autoclave for infection control, and make sure they open the packages of sterilized instruments in front of you. I'm a dental assistant and we have had many angry people that get upset if they do not see you take out the intruments from a sterilization pouch.

I am also thinking about filler injections, i dont know if the container for the filler is commun to everyone, like, they suck up the filler with the syringe from a 500ml bottle ? or are the syringe already filled with a dose, ready to use? Cuz a lot of patients with facial wasting from AIDS come to get their face filled.

In theory HIV, Hepatitis and other diseases can be transmittted by any treatment which penetrates the skin, but I don't know of any reputable practitioner, whether it be an esthetician, doctor, or even a tattoo artist who does not follow universal precautions. Most microdermabrasion handpieces are disposable, the ones that aren't are always autoclaved before reuse. With dermabrasion, again most parts are disposable and the parts of the handpeice that are not are cleaned with Cavicide  ( usually in  an ultrasonic cleaner ) then autclaved. Needling, permanent cosmetics, tattoos are done with disposable needles that are never reused. Most machines today have all disposable parts. Your technician will always show you the sealed package with the sterile needles etc. NEVER be frightened to ask to see them.

ManicDepression, when you have Restylane done, you essentially buy the syringe full of the filler, for your use only. It is packaged with the needle. Your doctor might store it for later use if you need him to, but that would only be for you personally and no other patient. I am not 100% sure about any other fillers, or laws, but I would definitely ask to see all of the items that would be used if I was not sure they were sterile.

thanx Oldguy, i was just wondering cuz, i m not sure but in the thread about bioalamid by Rustymetal, i think i read they used a common vial for everyone (in mexico)... Anyway, i think i found one of the most experienced derm with bioalcamid in Paris, she has a lot of HIV+ patients though.

By the way, how are your scars after restylane still satisfied? how has it been?