Notifications
Clear all

The Regimen + Diet

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 10/27/2013 5:08 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here had some success combing the two?

I been mostly concentrating on the diet aspect in the last 7 or so years but I noticed that I always had to use benzoyl peroxide wash (10%) regardless of the composition of my diet. Out of all the products benzoyl product somewhat controlled my acne better compared to other products.

I eat a Paleo style diet for almost 2 years but unfortunately after almost 20 years I am still breaking out. I am now 32 years old and realize I will always have acne and will never outgrow it. I don't really know what else to do at this point. I have used Accutane 13 years ago and obviously it didn't work. And I am still suffering some of the side effects from it.

I am wondering if adding the treatment gel (2.5%) like described in the regimen will make any difference? I am assuming it won't hurt me since my skin is already used to benzoyl peroxide. Does putting the gel help control the oil too? I tend to get very oily by mid-day and evening..

Any feedback would be appreciated smile.png

FYI my current topical regimen is: Clean and clear cleanser (10% benzoyl peroxide), clean and clear moisturizer (0.5% salicylic acid) and clean and clear spot treatment (10% benzoyl peroxide).

~dd

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 11/08/2013 1:17 am

Hey,

So after a week of adding the regimen to my already healthy diet of two years (paleo + rice, potatoes) my skin is actually improving by about 50% already!

However, I am experiencing a weird combination of dryness and oily skin. The oily part I had before, so that didn't change.

But I am wondering what can I do to combat the dryness? According to my "research" on here, the severe dryness will eventually reduce after a couple of months?

I did start strong since my skin is very familiar with benzoyl peroxide products because I have used 10% benzoyl peroxide wash before for almost 8 years.

So that might of caused it too. One part of my face (the forehead) feels like sand paper. lol

So my main concern again is when will it go away or reduce? What can I do about it now? I am hoping I am not damaging my skin by this over dryness.

Maybe putting jojoba oil after putting my moisturizer?

Any feedback would be apreciated! :)

Currently my topicals are: Dr bronners liquid soap cleanser, benzoyl peroxide 2.5 gel, Complex 15 lotion moisturizer

MemberMember
(@ashish-sharma)

Posted : 11/08/2013 5:58 am

Hey,

So after a week of adding the regimen to my already healthy diet of two years (paleo + rice, potatoes) my skin is actually improving by about 50% already!

However, I am experiencing a weird combination of dryness and oily skin. The oily part I had before, so that didn't change.

But I am wondering what can I do to combat the dryness? According to my "research" on here, the severe dryness will eventually reduce after a couple of months?

I did start strong since my skin is very familiar with benzoyl peroxide products because I have used 10% benzoyl peroxide wash before for almost 8 years.

So that might of caused it too. One part of my face (the forehead) feels like sand paper. lol

So my main concern again is when will it go away or reduce? What can I do about it now? I am hoping I am not damaging my skin by this over dryness.

Any feedback would be apreciated! smile.png

Currently my topicals are: Dr bronners liquid soap cleanser, benzoyl peroxide 2.5 gel, Complex 15 lotion moisturizer

The diet you are doing is absolutely great to get clear skin although I feel sorry for you that have been fighting with acne for so long. It occurs to me as if your oil glands are very sensitive. So, the oiliness won't go. By taking Benzoyl Peroxide products you are drying up your skin excessively for which the oil glands will stimulate more oil to compensate for the dryness.

Just follow the Paleo diet and use Natural Cleanser.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 11/08/2013 5:59 pm

Hey,

Any feedback would be apreciated! smile.png

The diet you are doing is absolutely great to get clear skin although I feel sorry for you that have been fighting with acne for so long. It occurs to me as if your oil glands are very sensitive. So, the oiliness won't go. By taking Benzoyl Peroxide products you are drying up your skin excessively for which the oil glands will stimulate more oil to compensate for the dryness.

Just follow the Paleo diet and use Natural Cleanser.

Hey, well I been following the Paleo diet (plus healthy carbs) for a while now (2 years). And I still wasn't clear. So that is why I added the regimen. And it looks like it did help. It just dried my skin up alot. So following the paleo diet and natural cleanser for me (even at 32) is not enough.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 11/08/2013 7:24 pm

You are eating fat after fat after fat. Animal Protein your body has trouble absorbing and plus, all that meat is rotting in your body before it even goes out. Lets ditch the meat now and if you want to fix your acne once and for all, I'd say switch to a high raw high carb vegan diet..It's worth a try at least.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/healing-acne-with-a-high-carb

Carbs are essentially energy your body uses. Good carbs = fruits, straches, legumes and grains. (Whole-food)

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 11/09/2013 8:25 pm

You are eating fat after fat after fat. Animal Protein your body has trouble absorbing and plus, all that meat is rotting in your body before it even goes out. Lets ditch the meat now and if you want to fix your acne once and for all, I'd say switch to a high raw high carb vegan diet..It's worth a try at least.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/healing-acne-with-a-high-carb

Carbs are essentially energy your body uses. Good carbs = fruits, straches, legumes and grains. (Whole-food)

I did high carb vegan diet many years ago. It made my skin worse.

And I do eat plenty of healthy carbs like fruits, rice, potato, sweet potato, quinoa and squashes

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 11/10/2013 2:41 am

Are you still using the Benzoyl Peroxide cleanser and Salicylic Acid moisturizer on The Regimen? If so, that's way too many active ingredients and will irritate your skin even more. You just need to use the BP treatment with a non-medicated cleanser and moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 11/10/2013 10:30 pm

Are you still using the Benzoyl Peroxide cleanser and Salicylic Acid moisturizer on The Regimen? If so, that's way too many active ingredients and will irritate your skin even more. You just need to use the BP treatment with a non-medicated cleanser and moisturizer.

yeah I agree with you. I have not been using salicylic acid or the nenzoyl peroxide. I been using dr bronners for cleanser and complex 15 for moisturizer. But I ordered dan's cleanser and moisturizer to go along with my benzoyl peroxide gel. So maybe this time I won't be irritating as much.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 11/22/2013 7:49 pm

So its been about 3 weeks. My acne is definetly better. I still have breakouts here and there.

My dryness and flakiness is pretty severe. I have added jojoba oil to the acne.org moisturizer.

I am wondering when the severe dryness and flakiness stops? I hope i am not permanently damaging my skin.

My skin feels like sand paper! lol

MemberMember
(@shaunx)

Posted : 11/23/2013 9:52 pm

This is like my problem, except I'm not doing the diet. My skin is very flaky- mainly after I get out of the shower. Hopefully someone has a solution.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 11/24/2013 12:29 am

This is like my problem, except I'm not doing the diet. My skin is very flaky- mainly after I get out of the shower. Hopefully someone has a solution.

Yeah I don't really know what to do. Because my skin is getting better acne wise. But I don't want to damage my skin. It hasn't even been a month yet.

I took another break from bp this morning. And will use bp at night today only on the areas where I still have acne and where it commonly occurs.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/02/2014 2:52 am

Hi dancedd. I've been researching diet strategies for acne control in the last 6 months or so. I have experimented and had some really good successes and bad failures. The successes were generally with severe restrictions, basically a zero fat zero sugar diet, and I lost 10 pounds and looked unhealthy (but my skin was clear!)

I'm currently researching the Kitavan diet and am thinking about giving it a shot. In a nutshell, 2 big meals a day comprising cooked leafy greens, coconut oil, tubers, and fish. And then snacking periods throughout the day with fruits like watermelon, mango, pineapple, and guava. I am just about ready to give it a shot, and I was only researching it originally because the Kitavan population were part of a research study that documented acne as a strictly first-world problem. The research group found no cases of acne in non-westernized, indigenous 3rd-world populations.

I came across your thread as I was researching various diets to compare to the Kitavan model. I sincerely believe from personal experience that diet is the cause of acne in the vast majority of cases. I consider factors like stress and hygiene to be aggravators not causes.

I have read a little on the Paleo diet and from what I have read it allows a lot of bad fats into the diet. I consider avocados, eggs, most nuts, and most cooking oils like olive oil to be sources of unhealthy fats. What are your thoughts on this?

I am curious, can you detail your precise Paleo diet throughout the day and the week? Do you cheat and get a cappuccino on the way to the gym or a slice of cake at the office for the weekly birthday party?

Thanks! I hope we can keep a conversation going on the subject!

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 01/06/2014 4:02 am

Hi dancedd. I've been researching diet strategies for acne control in the last 6 months or so. I have experimented and had some really good successes and bad failures. The successes were generally with severe restrictions, basically a zero fat zero sugar diet, and I lost 10 pounds and looked unhealthy (but my skin was clear!)

I'm currently researching the Kitavan diet and am thinking about giving it a shot. In a nutshell, 2 big meals a day comprising cooked leafy greens, coconut oil, tubers, and fish. And then snacking periods throughout the day with fruits like watermelon, mango, pineapple, and guava. I am just about ready to give it a shot, and I was only researching it originally because the Kitavan population were part of a research study that documented acne as a strictly first-world problem. The research group found no cases of acne in non-westernized, indigenous 3rd-world populations.

I came across your thread as I was researching various diets to compare to the Kitavan model. I sincerely believe from personal experience that diet is the cause of acne in the vast majority of cases. I consider factors like stress and hygiene to be aggravators not causes.

I have read a little on the Paleo diet and from what I have read it allows a lot of bad fats into the diet. I consider avocados, eggs, most nuts, and most cooking oils like olive oil to be sources of unhealthy fats. What are your thoughts on this?

I am curious, can you detail your precise Paleo diet throughout the day and the week? Do you cheat and get a cappuccino on the way to the gym or a slice of cake at the office for the weekly birthday party?

Avocados, eggs and olive oil are very healthy oils. Olive oil is best taken when it is cold pressed and organic obviously and never heated. Only saturated fats are good for actual cooking because the heat doesn't change the chemical composition of the fat and thereby not making it rancid. There were several studies that I red a while ago about the specific issue of saturated fats. Here is a good article: http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy. He references alot of studies to prove his point. When I introduced healthy fats (coconut, avocado, olive oil, eggs, fish) into my diet a couple of years ago my skin texture improved a little bit. And it did not raise my cholesterol. Now for the nuts, many people have allergies toward them so for some they are okay to consume in small quantities but for alot it causes inflammation. So this is very individual. Also some people are allergic to eggs so its not the actual fat in the eggs that causes them issues but the protein inside the egg yolk and eff white.

There are many different versions of the paleo diet. My diet is just based around it because it promotes whole foods. I don't follow all the strict rules. BUT I do avoid all processed foods even the so called healthy gluten free foods. So I avoid gluten, soy and some dairy.

So here is what I eat on a weekly basis: meats, fish, seafood, organ meats, poultry, lamb, sheep cheese, cottage cheese, tea, water, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, white rice, squashes, fruit (limited), butter, goat cheese, and all veggies. I do not cheat on any gluten foods. If I do "cheat", its maybe once in 3 months with a gluten free treat. But even then, it is very small. I definitely don't cheat on cappuccinos :) The only liquids I drink are water, tea and rarely white whine.

Oh and regarding the Kitavan diet, I definitely think you should go for it. It definitely encourages whole foods:) I also eat 2 big meals a day with very minimal snacking. But I don't eat alot of fruit. Maybe 1 to 2 a day.

Now having said all of that. I am sure I consume some gluten and soy products. Because I live in a modern world. And because of work, school and social obligations I do eat out at restaurants. I always order or look for gluten free stuff but there always some cross contamination. I realize I am consuming some of the processed crap. So I would say maybe 5%. But realistically I cannot eat all my meals at home and not leave my house. lol.

I haven't updated this thread in a while. As of right now I am 80 to 90% clear with combination of the above diet and the regimen once a day. I don't experience extreme flakiness anymore. Some parts of my face get dry but not too much. So I can't promise you will be 100% clear based on what I eat because obviously I am not. But I will take my 80 to 90% clearance. I am no longer a purist when it comes to topical management of my skin because I guess my skin needs chemicals.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/07/2014 4:47 am

Avocados, eggs and olive oil are very healthy oils. Olive oil is best taken when it is cold pressed and organic obviously and never heated. Only saturated fats are good for actual cooking because the heat doesn't change the chemical composition of the fat and thereby not making it rancid. There were several studies that I red a while ago about the specific issue of saturated fats. Here is a good article: http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy. He references alot of studies to prove his point. When I introduced healthy fats (coconut, avocado, olive oil, eggs, fish) into my diet a couple of years ago my skin texture improved a little bit. And it did not raise my cholesterol. Now for the nuts, many people have allergies toward them so for some they are okay to consume in small quantities but for alot it causes inflammation. So this is very individual. Also some people are allergic to eggs so its not the actual fat in the eggs that causes them issues but the protein inside the egg yolk and eff white.

There are many different versions of the paleo diet. My diet is just based around it because it promotes whole foods. I don't follow all the strict rules. BUT I do avoid all processed foods even the so called healthy gluten free foods. So I avoid gluten, soy and some dairy.

So here is what I eat on a weekly basis: meats, fish, seafood, organ meats, poultry, lamb, sheep cheese, cottage cheese, tea, water, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, white rice, squashes, fruit (limited), butter, goat cheese, and all veggies. I do not cheat on any gluten foods. If I do "cheat", its maybe once in 3 months with a gluten free treat. But even then, it is very small. I definitely don't cheat on cappuccinos smile.png The only liquids I drink are water, tea and rarely white whine.

Oh and regarding the Kitavan diet, I definitely think you should go for it. It definitely encourages whole foods:) I also eat 2 big meals a day with very minimal snacking. But I don't eat alot of fruit. Maybe 1 to 2 a day.

Now having said all of that. I am sure I consume some gluten and soy products. Because I live in a modern world. And because of work, school and social obligations I do eat out at restaurants. I always order or look for gluten free stuff but there always some cross contamination. I realize I am consuming some of the processed crap. So I would say maybe 5%. But realistically I cannot eat all my meals at home and not leave my house. lol.

I haven't updated this thread in a while. As of right now I am 80 to 90% clear with combination of the above diet and the regimen once a day. I don't experience extreme flakiness anymore. Some parts of my face get dry but not too much. So I can't promise you will be 100% clear based on what I eat because obviously I am not. But I will take my 80 to 90% clearance. I am no longer a purist when it comes to topical management of my skin because I guess my skin needs chemicals.

Thanks for responding dancedd!

I stopped antibiotics last week for good and it was a rough rebound. But I also started the Kitavan diet a few days ago. Eating Kitavan style is repetitive but not too difficult, but it is pretty difficult to avoid all the other foods. I am currently researching other non-westernized diets so that I can eventually incorporate some diversity into the meal plan.

I disagree with your analysis on eggs, avocado, and olive oil. I too thought that these were staples of an excellent diet...in fact I think this is the common perception that these foods represent health. But I have begun to research the importance of Omega-3 oils and their ratio to Omega-6. In particular, I have been discovering the overwhelming abundance of Omega-6's in the Western diet (including the Paleo diet). And not only is there an abundance of O-6, but the ratio of O-6 to O-3 is staggeringly higher than it should be. O-6's are inflammatory fats that get digested in the body into arachidonic acid which is responsible for a whole host of auto-immune inflammatory conditions. The reported values of Omega-6's for eggs, avocado, olive oil, nuts, and dairy on nutritiondata.self.com are extremely high with correspondingly much lower values of Omega-3's.

In any case, I do not believe we should settle for a life of topicals and 80-90% clearance. If some non-westernized societies can live acne free and demonstrate negligible rates of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes, then I want to strive for whatever it is they are doing right. And I know what they are doing right is not just having good genetics because those cultures demonstrate similar rates of Western disease as soon as they Westernize their diets.

In any case I still have much research to do! Finding good sources of non-Westernized diets is difficult! I also need to do more research on fats. While I understand a small fraction about fat intake I still have much to learn. Any wisdom you have regarding fats would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on the Omega-3/6 ratio being heavily skewed?

I look forward to hearing from you!

PS Yes I agree there is always contamination. The chef's knife, the cutting board, the factory that washes your spinach. But the contamination is generally negligible and I do not worry about it too much. And also there are life obligations...work related food functions, family gatherings, holidays. I do not plan to live my life without tasting chocolate or dairy every again. I cheat once every one or two weeks. Generally a cheat meal with some friends or family. Life is short and I intend to enjoy it. Oddly enough, I enjoy the cheat day so much more and it becomes something that I have celebrated the last six months as I have tried different fad diets. Whereas before, I did not care about my diet and I cheated every day, multiple times a day and eating ice cream was just part of the routine. Now I really taste the ice cream and savor it.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:26 pm

So here is what I eat on a weekly basis: meats, fish, seafood, organ meats, poultry, lamb, sheep cheese, cottage cheese, tea, water, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, white rice, squashes, fruit (limited), butter, goat cheese, and all veggies. I do not cheat on any gluten foods. If I do "cheat", its maybe once in 3 months with a gluten free treat. But even then, it is very small. I definitely don't cheat on cappuccinos smile.png The only liquids I drink are water, tea and rarely white whine.

Thanks for responding dancedd!

I stopped antibiotics last week for good and it was a rough rebound. But I also started the Kitavan diet a few days ago. Eating Kitavan style is repetitive but not too difficult, but it is pretty difficult to avoid all the other foods. I am currently researching other non-westernized diets so that I can eventually incorporate some diversity into the meal plan.

I disagree with your analysis on eggs, avocado, and olive oil. I too thought that these were staples of an excellent diet...in fact I think this is the common perception that these foods represent health. But I have begun to research the importance of Omega-3 oils and their ratio to Omega-6. In particular, I have been discovering the overwhelming abundance of Omega-6's in the Western diet (including the Paleo diet). And not only is there an abundance of O-6, but the ratio of O-6 to O-3 is staggeringly higher than it should be. O-6's are inflammatory fats that get digested in the body into arachidonic acid which is responsible for a whole host of auto-immune inflammatory conditions. The reported values of Omega-6's for eggs, avocado, olive oil, nuts, and dairy on nutritiondata.self.com are extremely high with correspondingly much lower values of Omega-3's.

In any case, I do not believe we should settle for a life of topicals and 80-90% clearance. If some non-westernized societies can live acne free and demonstrate negligible rates of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes, then I want to strive for whatever it is they are doing right. And I know what they are doing right is not just having good genetics because those cultures demonstrate similar rates of Western disease as soon as they Westernize their diets.

In any case I still have much research to do! Finding good sources of non-Westernized diets is difficult! I also need to do more research on fats. While I understand a small fraction about fat intake I still have much to learn. Any wisdom you have regarding fats would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on the Omega-3/6 ratio being heavily skewed?

I look forward to hearing from you!

PS Yes I agree there is always contamination. The chef's knife, the cutting board, the factory that washes your spinach. But the contamination is generally negligible and I do not worry about it too much. And also there are life obligations...work related food functions, family gatherings, holidays. I do not plan to live my life without tasting chocolate or dairy every again. I cheat once every one or two weeks. Generally a cheat meal with some friends or family. Life is short and I intend to enjoy it. Oddly enough, I enjoy the cheat day so much more and it becomes something that I have celebrated the last six months as I have tried different fad diets. Whereas before, I did not care about my diet and I cheated every day, multiple times a day and eating ice cream was just part of the routine. Now I really taste the ice cream and savor it.

Yes Omega 6/3 is important for inflammation. But I believe whole sources of omega 6 like olive oil, eggs, avocados and nuts are not the cause of inflammation. Besides they don't have too much omega 6 when consumed in moderate amounts. Its the omega 6 from the processed foods that causes inflammation. And these processed foods contain high amounts of Omega 6. I don't have data to support this. Its just what I got over the years of reading about it. But I do consume omega 3 to balance this out.

I do agree with you that we shouldn't settle for life of topicals to get close to 100% clear. Let us know what research you come up with:)

Glad you stopped the antibiotics!

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/09/2014 4:54 pm

Hmm. Well from the research I did a couple months ago, I do have some interesting food for thought on the 6/3...

According to the nutrition data.self.com site Olive oil has 21 grams of 6 per serving and the ratio of 6/3 is almost 13 to 1. Avocados has 3.8 grams of 6 and a ratio of 15 to 1. Peanuts have 14 grams of 6 and a ratio of 55 to 1. Macadamia 1.7 grams and a 6 to 1 ratio. Cashews have 10.5 grams of 6 and a 47 to 1 ratio. Almonds have 17.5 grams of 6 and no Omega-3. A scrambled egg has 4.2 grams of 6 and a ratio of 19 to 1.

Most of the sources I read suggest an ideal ratio of 1 to 1 for 6/3 but the Western diet typically consumes far more Omega-6 in ratios of 20 or 30 to 1. And there are two ways to balance this out. One can eat fish which have tons of Omega-3. Or one can eat plants, fruits, veggies...but most of the literature I have read suggests that plant sources of Omega-3's are very very minimal because they don't supply Omega-3 directly, but rather via a precursor which gets converted into the body to Omega-3...but this conversation process is, at some estimates, only 5% efficient.

Of course, there is a third way to balance out the ratio by lowering Omega-6 intake, but this is very difficult to do.

In any case, I will gladly let you know what further research I come up with and how successful this mode of eating is for me.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 01/09/2014 11:50 pm

Hmm. Well from the research I did a couple months ago, I do have some interesting food for thought on the 6/3...

According to the nutrition data.self.com site Olive oil has 21 grams of 6 per serving and the ratio of 6/3 is almost 13 to 1. Avocados has 3.8 grams of 6 and a ratio of 15 to 1. Peanuts have 14 grams of 6 and a ratio of 55 to 1. Macadamia 1.7 grams and a 6 to 1 ratio. Cashews have 10.5 grams of 6 and a 47 to 1 ratio. Almonds have 17.5 grams of 6 and no Omega-3. A scrambled egg has 4.2 grams of 6 and a ratio of 19 to 1.

Most of the sources I read suggest an ideal ratio of 1 to 1 for 6/3 but the Western diet typically consumes far more Omega-6 in ratios of 20 or 30 to 1. And there are two ways to balance this out. One can eat fish which have tons of Omega-3. Or one can eat plants, fruits, veggies...but most of the literature I have read suggests that plant sources of Omega-3's are very very minimal because they don't supply Omega-3 directly, but rather via a precursor which gets converted into the body to Omega-3...but this conversation process is, at some estimates, only 5% efficient.

Of course, there is a third way to balance out the ratio by lowering Omega-6 intake, but this is very difficult to do.

In any case, I will gladly let you know what further research I come up with and how successful this mode of eating is for me.

I agree with you about trying to balance your omega 3 to 6. I add fermented cod liver oil along with plenty of fish every week.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/10/2014 1:42 pm

I agree with you about trying to balance your omega 3 to 6. I add fermented cod liver oil along with plenty of fish every week.

I tried the supplement approach as well (I have a few bottles of leftover fish oil that I now only use before my one cheat meal) and I was eating a decent amount of fish. It wasn't anywhere near 100% complexion improvement, but I definitely got some relief especially when I took more supplement in advance of eating Omega-6 rich meals. So I think I might be heading in the right direction, but only time will tell. It is too soon to say yet.

MemberMember
(@bryantmkiv)

Posted : 01/10/2014 8:59 pm

dont bother.. i know not everyone is the same.. but I've taken so many supplements , probiotics, omega 3s zinc biotin multivitamins etc.... I only do the regimen now.. and eat all i want, and dont take any supplements for my skin

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/10/2014 11:36 pm

dont bother.. i know not everyone is the same.. but I've taken so many supplements , probiotics, omega 3s zinc biotin multivitamins etc.... I only do the regimen now.. and eat all i want, and dont take any supplements for my skin

Hi BryantMkIV,

I am glad that the regimen works for you. I've been down the same road as you have. Supplements, zinc, Omega-3, probiotics and on and on. I saw minor improvements but it was never 100%. How many times have you heard a girl say "I can have this soda or candy bar, I'll just run an extra 5 minutes at the gym to work it off." It's stupid right? Eating crappy and taking supplements is the same thing. I was trying to rationalize my diet by taking over the counter pills hoping they would offset the unhealthy food I was putting in my body.

You are obviously in a good place because the regimen works for you. If the regimen worked 100% for me I would be very happy. However, even if I obtained 100% perfect complexion I would still challenge myself to eat healthier and I would still research various eating strategies that would promote my quality of life.

It is well documented that alcohol, red meats, and excessive sugar can significantly shorten our life span. That being said, not all of us necessarily want to live to 100 years of age. But people sometimes forget that eating poorly can contribute to increased risk of stroke, diabetes, dementia, and intestinal cancers. People that get strokes often wind up partially paralyzed or complete vegetables. Those that suffer diabetes will need to take insulin and if they don't control their eating, they end up having their toes, feet, and legs amputated. Dementia patients won't remember anything and that is a fate worse than death. And people that get intestinal cancers will find themselves in an operating room with their legs spread out, high in the air whilst a colorectal surgeon cuts out part of their intestine and makes them a poop pouch that hangs outside their stomach.

I might get some or all of these aforementioned conditions. But if I can eat conscientiously and lower my risk of getting these conditions, then I most certainly will try.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 01/12/2014 12:38 am

Hi BryantMkIV,

I am glad that the regimen works for you. I've been down the same road as you have. Supplements, zinc, Omega-3, probiotics and on and on. I saw minor improvements but it was never 100%. How many times have you heard a girl say "I can have this soda or candy bar, I'll just run an extra 5 minutes at the gym to work it off." It's stupid right? Eating crappy and taking supplements is the same thing. I was trying to rationalize my diet by taking over the counter pills hoping they would offset the unhealthy food I was putting in my body.

You are obviously in a good place because the regimen works for you. If the regimen worked 100% for me I would be very happy. However, even if I obtained 100% perfect complexion I would still challenge myself to eat healthier and I would still research various eating strategies that would promote my quality of life.

It is well documented that alcohol, red meats, and excessive sugar can significantly shorten our life span. That being said, not all of us necessarily want to live to 100 years of age. But people sometimes forget that eating poorly can contribute to increased risk of stroke, diabetes, dementia, and intestinal cancers. People that get strokes often wind up partially paralyzed or complete vegetables. Those that suffer diabetes will need to take insulin and if they don't control their eating, they end up having their toes, feet, and legs amputated. Dementia patients won't remember anything and that is a fate worse than death. And people that get intestinal cancers will find themselves in an operating room with their legs spread out, high in the air whilst a colorectal surgeon cuts out part of their intestine and makes them a poop pouch that hangs outside their stomach.

I might get some or all of these aforementioned conditions. But if I can eat conscientiously and lower my risk of getting these conditions, then I most certainly will try.

just a clarification, it is the processed red meats that are bad:) grass fed organic red meats are good for you:)

Just as you stated not everyone is the same. And for me just the regimen is not enough. And just the diet is not enough either. So you are very lucky that you can eat all you want with just the regimen.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/12/2014 9:51 pm

Hi BryantMkIV,

just a clarification, it is the processed red meats that are bad:) grass fed organic red meats are good for you:)

I personally agree with this statement. Whenever I do buy steaks, I buy grass-fed. However, the literature I have read in the last several months does not conclusively indicate one way or the other that grass-fed is in fact better for you. It stands to reason that grass-fed animals are healthier to consume. And perhaps there is a study out there that I have not yet found, but the studies I have looked at have either failed to control for the specific type of red meat being consumed or they have only looked at processed vs. unprocessed red meat and not grass-fed vs grain-fed.

MemberMember
(@bryantmkiv)

Posted : 01/13/2014 11:12 am

i agree, if the regimen doesn't work for one... one should watch what they eat