Notifications
Clear all

Temporary Improvement

MemberMember
(@stayinghopefull)

Posted : 10/27/2013 8:41 am

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but every time I shave, with a razor or a beard trimmer, my skin always looks relatively terrible a few days following. It will be oily, the scars seem to look more jagged and just my overall complexion is much worse. After about two or three days though, my skin looks ridiculously much better. It looks as if my scars have filled in, the red marks are much better, and my overall complexion is bright and dewy.

I don't get it. I've tried switching shaving creams, putting on masks after I shave, switching my technique but nothing seems to work. My skin usually also looks much better in the mornings right after I wake up before I've had a chance to shower. Has anyone experienced anything like this and is there a way to have my skin always look as nice as it does on "good" days?

MemberMember
(@davidlim)

Posted : 10/27/2013 9:27 am

Maybe can try "face ironing"? Use cotton cloth and stuff like cotton ball and dip in hot water 40-50 degree celcius.

But scar must be stretched first? and leave the adhesive tape on face whole night? Will be painful tear the tape on next morning.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 10/27/2013 10:40 am

That's strange, because for me I find my skin is the opposite after shaving. The longer my facial hair gets, the worse my skin looks and I tend to break out more. Once I shave my skin improves until it starts to grow back thick again.

I use a beard trimmer so I don't use a shaving cream. As for the scarring, I assume that's because the facial hair almost masks them and makes them appear depressed, compared to when you have shaved and they appear elevated.

You could always try 'prepping' your skin before shaving - steam it (you could shower first), apply and massage in jojoba oil. It will soften the hairs and loosen them up a little.

MemberMember
(@alex13)

Posted : 10/27/2013 11:16 am

First, never shave with hot water. Use super cold water.

Second, you don`t need to after-shave your face. Just your neck. I only use pure alcohol (medicinal) to after-shave my neck, because most after shaves contain perfumes and other stuff that can cause breakouts. Search for some medicinal alcohol and be a strong man.

It should improve in days. My story here :

MemberMember
(@stayinghopefull)

Posted : 10/27/2013 12:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll try steaming my face and applying some jojoba or argan oil before I shave and see if that helps. Thing thing about my scars though after I shave is that they're not close to where I grow hair on my face. They're on my upper cheeks and they really looked more filled in a few days after I shave or use a beard trimmer. Also, its not just the appearance of the areas I shave, its my whole face. I have excellent skin around my jaw region so this area looks normal no matter when but my upper cheeks and inner cheeks look terrible after I shave or use a beard trimmer even though I'm not shaving or even apply shaving cream to those areas.

First, never shave with hot water. Use super cold water.

Second, you don`t need to after-shave your face. Just your neck. I only use pure alcohol (medicinal) to after-shave my neck, because most after shaves contain perfumes and other stuff that can cause breakouts. Search for some medicinal alcohol and be a strong man.

It should improve in days. My story here :

MemberMember
(@alex13)

Posted : 10/27/2013 1:36 pm

Umm, I don`t think so... it helps me on my neck, I don`t use after-shave on my face... but any other type of after shave def causes more acne... tried that