Notifications
Clear all

What Kind Of Acne Is This?

MemberMember
(@peppermintfruittea150)

Posted : 10/21/2013 1:00 am

Hello!

I am new here, I would really appreciate some help. I went on a trip to California for 3 weeks last month, i was completely clear. During the trip I slowly started to breakout. I didn't think much of it. But now it's getting out of control! I feel so gross. I haven't had a breakout like this in about 3 years. What kind of acne is this? It does not hurt at all, just feels bumpy. What can I do to clear it up? If you have any suggestions at all I would be so thankful!

post-308882-0-73780900-1382335034_thumb.

post-308882-0-04908700-1382335068_thumb.

post-308882-0-73780900-1382335034_thumb.

post-308882-0-04908700-1382335068_thumb.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/21/2013 4:49 pm

It could be a lot of things.

Cosmetic - possible if you're using products on your face, but since it extends down your neck this seems unlikely (unless you're using products there too)

Hormonal - more likely, especially since it's jawline and at least partially inflammatory

Food sensitivity - unlikely because of the patterns presented, but still possible. Food sensitivity acne is usually scattered and inflammatory

Folliculitis - usually pustular, but not always. The patterns could suggest folliculitis, though, which means that it's an infection, and not just acne. If it itches, it might be fungal folliculitis

2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel applied morning and night after washing with a mild cleanser will probably help any of these cases, though it would help folliculitis the most if it's bacterial. You could also try stopping all other topicals, including cosmetics, and modifying your diet to be more closely aligned with a paleo diet. Dietary changes would especially help if it's caused by food sensitivities, but can also help hormonal cases. Finally, since it seems to be at least partly comedonal, you could try a salicylic acid wash. You can use this as your cleanser in combination with benzoyl peroxide. There might be some irritation from the benzoyl peroxide, and if you find that this is the case, you could reduce application to once daily.

If these methods don't work, I would go to a dermatologist and ask about a topical retinoid. I would not accept antibiotics, which only cover up the problem and can make it worse after ceasing treatment, or accutane, which has far too many detrimental and possibly life-changing side effects.

MemberMember
(@peppermintfruittea150)

Posted : 10/22/2013 2:40 am

Thank you so much for your reply! Wish I knew what broke me out so bad. Could be hormonal but is it likely to happen all of the sudden. I'm using a salicylic acid wash right now it helps some. I can't get bp since i live in Japan right now. It's banned here :( ugh these bumps feel gross. Sometimes they are a bit itchy. Anyhow thank you for all the info! It was very helpful!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/22/2013 10:35 am

Look up both folliculitis and milia for the small bumps on your neck.

MemberMember
(@peppermintfruittea150)

Posted : 10/22/2013 10:52 pm

About half of those bumps are gone now. I am getting a pimple or two. However it itches! Sooo i'm going to visit a derm pretty soon. I have no idea how this happened. The pimples i got left scars :/

I have not been wearing makeup and it helped a bit. i bought an AHA face wash, and tree tea oil gel cream. Seems to be helping .Thank you guys for your help! I hope this is a case of mild acne and not folliculitis.