Notifications
Clear all

I Quit My Job.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 10/19/2013 11:19 am

I've been taking antibiotics for 4 months now, and now they're starting to wear off. It's been the best/easiest 4 months since my acne started. My doctor told me I'm going to have to stop taking them soon. I quit my job because I know that when my cystic acne returns it will be hell going out in front of people every day. The exact same thing happened last year when I worked for a year and then quit when my minocycline wore off. I have tried every oral/topical medication except accutane (about to turn 26)

Anybody else quit their job because of acne?

MemberMember
(@solaire)

Posted : 10/19/2013 1:03 pm

I've been taking antibiotics for 4 months now, and now they're starting to wear off. It's been the best/easiest 4 months since my acne started. My doctor told me I'm going to have to stop taking them soon. I quit my job because I know that when my cystic acne returns it will be hell going out in front of people every day. The exact same thing happened last year when I worked for a year and then quit when my minocycline wore off. I have tried every oral/topical medication except accutane (about to turn 26)

I haven't quit my job because of acne, but there has been plenty of days I wish I could have called in sick because of it. Fortunately my job doesn't allow me to just call in sick unless it's serious so I had to learn to just deal with it. It's been difficult, especially when I have a bad week. All I think about is my face the entire day and constantly look at the clock to see how long it is before I can go home. But it's defiantly helped me in a lot of ways. I learned that even though I have acne and hate how my face looks other people don't really care. People still treated me the same way and I was still able to accomplish my job for that day. I learned how to have confidence and courage even though I didn't want to. I learned that sometimes I just had to forget about my emotions and just keep on living a normal life. It's not easy to not let your acne control or dictate your life, I still struggle with it. But there has to be a time when we say enough is enough and just live our life the way we want to, acne free or not.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 10/19/2013 5:00 pm

Well I'd say I've lost three jobs because of acne. I recently got lucky though because i only work two days on the week end. For a recent job offer i just started it last week. It's ten $ an hour so i can actually get by even though its a bit hard. It's only two days so i can manage lol

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 10/19/2013 6:13 pm

I left/got kicked out of three colleges because of my acne. If I could go back in time, I'd slap the fuck out of myself and say "The hell's wrong with you?!". I know having visible acne when you have to interact with people is a constant torment, but you need to develop the inner strength to overcome that barrier that's holding you back. Finding a job these days feels like your searching for dat Unicorn and I would think that being jobless, alone with your thoughts would be counter-productive to your progression.

I, not too long ago, was afraid of getting a job. Why?, because I couldn't stand the thought of having to see new judgemental faces every single day. Whilst I let those fears prevent me in succeeding in higher education, I wasn't willing to let it hinder my ability to earn my own income and pursue my passions in life. I've had a few jobs now, some where I had to constantly interact with people, some where I could for the most part, just get on with it by myself. I can honestly say that the job where I was constantly on the front line, was the job that forced me to develop my character the most. I gained confidence and went home everyday with silent contentment, because I knew that I did a good day's work, without acne poisoning my thoughts. I looked customers in the eyes and did what I could, with what I was in control of. A place that acne can never reach. Your skills, techniques and knowledge.

A job gives you purpose and acne is trying to take that away from you. At the very least, if you earn your own income, you can accumulate the funds necessary to treat your acne.

I know it seems like I'm preaching the sermon (lol) but I am just trying to help. Pretend you're you in 3 years time, progressing from the mentality you posses now. What do you think you would say to your "now" self?. No doubt, "Don't let another 3 years slip through your grasp".

As for treatments, I can't make a suggestion without knowing the type of acne you have, but I don't believe that antibiotics are ever a long-term solution. they set you up for failure and allows acne sufferers to become complacent. Which is dangerous for emotionally unstable people (A fair few of those with acne).

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 10/19/2013 9:40 pm

Look into low dose accutane and see how u feel. Everything else is a band aid.

MemberMember
(@solis1)

Posted : 10/20/2013 4:12 pm

Yeah quit my job as a cashier because I couldn't deal with people everyday looking at my face. But over time i pulled it together and started going back to school and I feel great about that choice even though my skin isn't. I learned that people really do get used to you having that ONE little imperfection and you should too, I did! Right now my skin is kinda outta control again but I'm trying my best to keep going forward even if its one day at a time.

MemberMember
(@blackstar85)

Posted : 10/26/2013 1:22 pm

Dont talk to me abotu those damn antiobiotics you get the IB life is hell, improves a hell of a lot of months on end then booom comes back and with an army! Unless your female and can go on dianette look into accutane/roaccutane isnt successful for everyone but it gives the best results.....dont get me wrong both at the beginning for 3-6 months will cause you all kinds of hell and itll give you the worst acne you've ever had in your life! but when it clears it clears...slowly but surely but man it does.

Answer to your question yep....quit one job because it it and nearly lost the other with the amount of sick days eusa_wall.gif im currently on Dianette and right in the bloody heart of an IB and going to work is damn hard bt staying at home just makes it worse in the long term....S x

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/01/2013 10:18 pm

I haven't quit my job because of acne, but there has been plenty of days I wish I could have called in sick because of it. Fortunately my job doesn't allow me to just call in sick unless it's serious so I had to learn to just deal with it. It's been difficult, especially when I have a bad week. All I think about is my face the entire day and constantly look at the clock to see how long it is before I can go home. But it's defiantly helped me in a lot of ways. I learned that even though I have acne and hate how my face looks other people don't really care. People still treated me the same way and I was still able to accomplish my job for that day. I learned how to have confidence and courage even though I didn't want to. I learned that sometimes I just had to forget about my emotions and just keep on living a normal life. It's not easy to not let your acne control or dictate your life, I still struggle with it. But there has to be a time when we say enough is enough and just live our life the way we want to, acne free or not.

Wow, this was me exactly. I hated, and still do to some extent, facing my coworkers, managers, clients, etc. on days when my skin was particularly bad. But, like you said, you learn to manage. Most people I would say don't care, though I have noticed wandering eyes from some of my peers when having face-to-face conversations.

The most important quality is learning how to mitigate and subdue your anxiety so that you are able to operate on a basic professional level. I actually did call out once or twice when my skin was horrendous, but for the most part each day is a balancing act between communicating effectively and managing anxiety.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 11/08/2013 8:10 pm

Wow, this was me exactly. I hated, and still do to some extent, facing my coworkers, managers, clients, etc. on days when my skin was particularly bad. But, like you said, you learn to manage. Most people I would say don't care, though I have noticed wandering eyes from some of my peers when having face-to-face conversations.

The most important quality is learning how to mitigate and subdue your anxiety so that you are able to operate on a basic professional level. I actually did call out once or twice when my skin was horrendous, but for the most part each day is a balancing act between communicating effectively and managing anxiety.

Third. I've never quit a job nor got fired nor quit college because of my acne. I quit my last job not because of my acne, but because I was unhappy with THE JOB.

When I'm home alone or it's just me and the hubs relaxing, that's when I go into mental torture mode. Also when I'm getting ready in the morning. But when I'm at work, I barely even have time to think about my acne. Plus there's bills, food, car insurance, and a mortage to pay. We're also saving for a King Charles Spaniel, which is not a cheap puppy.

I can't afford to lose my job for both my needs and my wants.

MemberMember
(@rodallega)

Posted : 11/09/2013 4:36 pm

If I complete uni ill be walking into a job which pays about 150k for a 60-70 hour week. It doesnt matter. All the money in the world will never bring back my old life before this hell. Money can't buy happiness

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 11/10/2013 1:36 am

If I complete uni ill be walking into a job which pays about 150k for a 60-70 hour week. It doesnt matter. All the money in the world will never bring back my old life before this hell. Money can't buy happiness

And curing acne won't cure misery, either.

By that I mean since acne has given all of us the ability to feel weak, vulnerable, helpless, hopeless, and to mentally rip ourselves apart, we now have the ability inside of us to be able to take those emotions and attack ourselves in any way at all. We have become our worst critics.

If it's not acne, there will always be something else because we've broken ourselves down enough already.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 11/10/2013 2:59 am

And curing acne won't cure misery, either.

By that I mean since acne has given all of us the ability to feel weak, vulnerable, helpless, hopeless, and to mentally rip ourselves apart, we now have the ability inside of us to be able to take those emotions and attack ourselves in any way at all. We have become our worst critics.

If it's not acne, there will always be something else because we've broken ourselves down enough already.

+1

I can vouche for this. Can is gone mostly for me these days. But im still a terrible critic on everything about me and what i do. Learn to be accepting and greatful that things are not worse, beyond acne worse.