Notifications
Clear all

Okay Guys What Other Than Accutane Has Worked For You?

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 10/18/2013 10:54 am

Hey I basically wanted to start a discussion about things that have worked for people other than Accutane. I know that I won't go on Accutane because mine is hormonal and I need birth control and maybe an antibiotic to help but what has worked for other people. About four years ago YAZ and Spectra got me clear for over a year. I'm back at square one today because I was negligent and going back on both, but what has worked or is working currently for others?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 10/18/2013 12:35 pm

My acne is also hormonal and I've tried just about everything for it including accutane, spiro, yasmin/yaz, multiple other bcps, and tons of topicals. Spiro and yasmin both give me perfect skin, but they also make my hair fall out so I can no longer take them. What has worked for me is getting my blood sugar in check by eating correctly and taking 500mg of metformin. By doing that I've brought my testosterone levels down from around 66 to 16, and my acne is much better.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/18/2013 1:20 pm

- Avoiding dairy

- Avoiding omega-6s (present in lots of different cooking oils and processed food and restaurant food)

- Lots of sun exposure for vitamin D3

- Things that lower testosterone activity

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 10/19/2013 12:01 pm

- Avoiding dairy

- Avoiding omega-6s (present in lots of different cooking oils and processed food and restaurant food)

- Lots of sun exposure for vitamin D3

- Things that lower testosterone activity

So being in the sun (with sunscreen on) is good if you have acne/marks? Mild to moderate acne, that is. Also, any solution for male hormonal acne? That seems to be my case.

Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/19/2013 3:15 pm

When I say sun exposure, I mean real sun exposure. You can't produce vitamin D when you're blocking the rays that stimulate it with sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@tranaydavis)

Posted : 10/20/2013 1:26 pm

Minocycline has been very effective for my moderate hormonal acne. I've been on Minocycline for about 2 years. Switched 6 months ago to Doxycycline which wasn't effective. I'm back on Minocycline, it has been 3 days being back on Minocycline and I can already see a difference. I'm 26 and I've never taken birth control (personal choice) just Plan B morning after pill after a hiccup. Minocycline does give me headaches and an upset stomach but I've struggled with menstrual migraines so I have to start back taking my migraine medication.

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 10/20/2013 4:53 pm

If you notice the sun helps your acne, it`s more than likely because certain wavelengths of blue light destroy p.acne bacteria, and certain wavelengths of red light speed up the healing process in your skin. You can buy red and blue lights for acne treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17111415

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/20/2013 8:01 pm

A couple of years ago, I went on a holiday to Africa. I was in chlorinated water every day and exposed to sun all the time. All my severe acne disappeared, and stayed that way for a while. 4-5 months later, it was back to normal..

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/22/2013 10:40 am

If you notice the sun helps your acne, it`s more than likely because certain wavelengths of blue light destroy p.acne bacteria, and certain wavelengths of red light speed up the healing process in your skin. You can buy red and blue lights for acne treatment.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/118454-bluered-light-faq/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17111415

I actually recommend Vitamin D because it is prohormone that is vital to several essential processes in the body, especially hormones.

Bacteria is a side effect of the inflammation induced by hormonal acne. It is not the cause.