Notifications
Clear all

Prednisone Following A Cortisone Shot?

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 10/16/2013 11:44 am

Posted yesterday about getting a cortisone shot while on accutane. Got my shot this morning on a red cyst next to my nose and was also given 10 prednisone pills. The doc said to take 2 a day for 3 days and then use the other remaining whenever you get another cyst flare up.

My question is that should I follow the advice of taking 2 a day for 3 days, or should I take 3 today, 2 tomorrow, and one the following day? I have read that gradually decreasing dose gives good results. I just do not know what dosage the pills are..i have to check when i get done work.

What will make the cyst decrease faster and permanently?

Anyone have any experience with prednisone? Never took it before but have had a handful of injections that for the most part did their job.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/16/2013 12:39 pm

Prednisone reduces inflammation as the shot does. Perhaps your doctor thought to kick the cyst both topically and internally. I know that corticosteroids should be weaned off after prolonged usage because they can cause internal hormonal issues but i don't know if they have a better result by weaning. The only usage of weaning i know is to prevent adrenal insufficiency after prolonged usage. But i am not an expert on these things.

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 10/16/2013 1:19 pm

Prednisone reduces inflammation as the shot does. Perhaps your doctor thought to kick the cyst both topically and internally. I know that corticosteroids should be weaned off after prolonged usage because they can cause internal hormonal issues but i don't know if they have a better result by weaning. The only usage of weaning i know is to prevent adrenal insufficiency after prolonged usage. But i am not an expert on these things.

yeah, i plan to only use these pills until the bump reduces..definitely not long term, thats what the accutane is for

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/16/2013 1:23 pm

Yes, i believe the weaning is required to prevent any health problems after a long time (which isn't your case) not to actually improve the results of short term usage.

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 10/16/2013 3:33 pm

thanks, i just hope that when i stop the prednisone, i don't get an immediate flare up like other people have...but the people who have got the flare-ups have been on a strong and long term (more then 3 weekss) dosage. Idkkk though.