Notifications
Clear all

Cancelling Plans Because Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@amazingjames)

Posted : 10/15/2013 10:23 pm

does anyone else find themselves blowing off plans because your acne happens to be worse that day/week?

i try to avoid caring what other people think.. but sometimes it gets to me!

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 10/15/2013 11:33 pm

I do this every now and again if I'm feeling really bad about myself, but I try and rearrange it for a few days time rather than cancel it completely. Sometimes I just really don't want to face people with a face full of spots :(

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 10/15/2013 11:50 pm

Absolutely, I have done this a number of times I am sad to say. I hate that I do it, but I always feel so much safer at home, by myself watching T.V. or reading so I can avoid feeling insecure in front of people. I'm pretty sure that cancelling plans is pretty common for any acne sufferer. :( But I like the way you said you try to avoid caring what people think, that's a good mentality to have. I am just always telling myself "this too shall pass" and it will for all of us! But until then we have to just hang in there. I started writing a journal and that really helps me! Don't feel alone if you skip out on plans, just know there are a lot of others doing the same thing, it's safe at least for me, even though I know it's not the best choice.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/16/2013 2:38 am

Yes I've definitely done this - cancelled plans or have avoided making plans because of my skin.

I'm the same - I try not to let my skin bother me or to care about what other people think but sometimes I can't help it and it gets to me.

But I really try to not make a habit of it. And I try to still go to events or be social and catch up with friends regardless of my skin - because this is helping me with my confidence and I always have a good time once I'm out and with friends. I'm lucky they're good friends and it's actually often a great distraction from my skin compared to if I stayed at home - If I stayed at home I would end up focusing on and thinking about my skin all the time...

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 10/16/2013 9:58 am

I've done it, but not often...I just push through and feel better for it (of course I am plastered with make-up, but I do force myself out!)

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 10/16/2013 8:10 pm

Yeah- did it today. story of my life

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 10/16/2013 10:26 pm

Happens to me. I've gotten over what people think about me because at my age (I'm 17), we tend to be really superficial, but only the people that are worth your time will accept you for who you are, and it's true. I rarely cancel plans anymore, but I can't deny that there are days where I look at myself in the mirror and get depressed because of my acne or how I look, etc.

Don't blow off plans with your friends though because of your acne. Reason? They're your friends for a reason. They love who you are, how you act, and I really don't think they won't accept you because you have acne (if this is the case, then they're superficial, fake and not worth your time). And who cares about what other people think? Here's two things:

1) Even if someone thinks you have "bad" acne or whatnot, they're not going to walk up to you and be like "Yo, your face looks like s**t". Maybe they'll take a glance at you, but a glance can also mean that they're attracted to you, or that they're analyzing you, etc. In other words, there's endless possibilities.

2) People are more conscious about their own looks/concerns than yours, so keep that in mind.

Stay strong and cheers!

MemberMember
(@gunnah)

Posted : 10/17/2013 6:03 am

Yep. I've lost count of the number of times I've cancelled plans with my boyfriend at the last minute, but eventually I decided to open up to him about how I felt and he ended up being really supportive, and in fact I think me cancelling the plans was more irritating than me turning up with a spotty face. I think I feel more self-conscious since I made the decision to stop wearing makeup, though.

I think it's very normal to feel this way. My mum had bad acne in early adulthood and she said that there were days where she didn't want to go out. But ultimately it didn't stop her from making friends, getting jobs, getting married and having children. Life still went on and the acne went away on its own eventually. I'm sure it will for you, too. :-)

Okay, why did that turn into a kissy face? It was meant to be a smile. But whatever, have a kiss on the cheek anyway if you like.

MemberMember
(@voila)

Posted : 10/19/2013 3:53 pm

Yes, I have many times, but if it's something extremely important that cannot be put aside...I put my hair in a pony tail (hair down would just remind me that I have a big bump and most likely I'll try to somehow cover it with it--which would make me appear weird) and the hell with it.

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 10/20/2013 10:17 am

Done it plenty of times in the past! I don't have very bad acne now but I sometimes still find myself blowing off plans probably just because turning things down is ingrained into my brain. Usually now it's because I feel I'm sometimes too busy but in the past, acne played a big role. Unfortunately, my acne was the worst in high school and college, where I would turn people down all the time! It seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but in hindsight it probably wasn't! But, I honestly would trade that experience for anything. It taught me a lot of things that I try to use to help others with the same issue.

It's easy to succumb to the self-conscious feelings acne brings along.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/20/2013 2:42 pm

I've been guilty of that as well, but not often anymore. If I've got a couple of bad breakouts at the time I'll go extra heavy on foundation, which is a win-win anyway because the one I use doesn't break me out and I won't have to cancel.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/20/2013 5:10 pm

Yes. Never go outside, ever, because of acne. Going on Accutane tomorrow though..

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 10/22/2013 12:13 pm

Topic moved to emotional and physiological effects of acne.

MemberMember
(@mugisha)

Posted : 10/23/2013 12:50 am

I've been guilty of that as well, but not often anymore. If I've got a couple of bad breakouts at the time I'll go extra heavy on foundation, which is a win-win anyway because the one I use doesn't break me out and I won't have to cancel.

Yes. Never go outside, ever, because of acne. Going on Accutane tomorrow though..

xdevochax that sounds like good advice , stuff the stereotypes next time I have a bad breakout I'm hitting the foundation to cool.png .

Ballen I know its tuff mate and when my skin break outs it scares the crap out of me thinking about how people will react when they see my skin but it is when you feel like that that it is most important to commit to whatever plans you have made , let your Acne know who is boss. Your Acne might be getting the better of your body at the moment but try not to let it get the better of you mentally. Life is fro living. Hope the Accutane helps you out aye smile.png

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/23/2013 1:12 am

>Yes. Never go outside, ever, because of acne. Going on Accutane tomorrow though..

xdevochax that sounds like good advice , stuff the stereotypes next time I have a bad breakout I'm hitting the foundation to cool.png .

Ballen I know its tuff mate and when my skin break outs it scares the crap out of me thinking about how people will react when they see my skin but it is when you feel like that that it is most important to commit to whatever plans you have made , let your Acne know who is boss. Your Acne might be getting the better of your body at the moment but try not to let it get the better of you mentally. Life is fro living. Hope the Accutane helps you out aye smile.png

I have 0 social life, but I finished high school, having severe cystic acne. After that I just stopped going out. Started collage, but dropped out, because it was wrong for me. I haven't been out much in 3 years now..

Anyway, thanks :)

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/23/2013 4:31 am

Always. It's funny because no one comments on my skin (except my father who I've never had a good relationship with).

I think in general people don't take notice of things about other people unless they have the same insecurity. For example, I (and all of us) have acne, so we'll notice others with acne, but others who don't have it probably won't even really notice it on others.

But I digress. Makeup makes me feel better when going out so I choose to wear it. Tarte's foundations never break me out at all so those are the only ones I use. I have all three that they make and I love all of them.

MemberMember
(@emiliesea)

Posted : 10/23/2013 9:29 am

Life story! Sometimes I just have skip school to be able to cope. There have been many time that I have had to come up with an excuse not to go into work, and I rarely ever make plans, or go out because my self-confidence is just slim to none.

MemberMember
(@mugisha)

Posted : 10/23/2013 4:10 pm

>Yes. Never go outside, ever, because of acne. Going on Accutane tomorrow though..

I have 0 social life, but I finished high school, having severe cystic acne. After that I just stopped going out. Started collage, but dropped out, because it was wrong for me. I haven't been out much in 3 years now..

Anyway, thanks smile.png

I completely understand were you are at within yourself but you need to start focusing on what you like about yourself. Just like everyone else on this website you will have talents , things that you are good at , should not these talents be shared with the world? The fact is that you are a human being and you will have a lot of living to do. Do not let that all go to waste because of your Acne. You have hobbies and interests , take them further and join a club , keep treating your acne , focus on what you like about yourself as no doubt other people will like those positive attributes that you have , do what ever you have to do to beat Acne and get yourself back out into the world...and if is no to much to ask ( as I know that I am asking alot of you lol ) start trying to accept that other people may not actually think you skin is that bad at all , or in fact that they do even see your skin. They may only see you , and if some people do have a problem with your skin just remember that you may have Acne , but they are more than likely insecure , shallow and judgemental - I would rather have Acne.

Living itself can be scary , with added extras like Acne and a whole range of other problems that can occur in life it can even be even more scary and yet to get the most out of life we have to embrace the fear and take that chance. No man can ever be brave without being afraid. Take a chance and stop letting your Acne define you because your Acne is not who you are. Cheers for reading and keep your chin up mate :)

MemberMember
(@mugisha)

Posted : 10/23/2013 4:29 pm

Always. It's funny because no one comments on my skin (except my father who I've never had a good relationship with).

I think in general people don't take notice of things about other people unless they have the same insecurity. For example, I (and all of us) have acne, so we'll notice others with acne, but others who don't have it probably won't even really notice it on others.

But I digress. Makeup makes me feel better when going out so I choose to wear it. Tarte's foundations never break me out at all so those are the only ones I use. I have all three that they make and I love all of them.

No worries my old man is fairly hopeless as well. I agree with your digress and like I said to Ballen if they do notice and comment , that is there problem. I'm glad you have found something that works for you and a product that you like. I wish I could get away with wearing make up like foundation , for Acne reasons only of course lol..But I think I'll just have to stick with using a little Sudo cream as I am sure you and all other women who use foundation look lovely , I dont think it would be a good look for me.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/23/2013 6:28 pm

time="1">

>Yes. Never go outside, ever, because of acne. Going on Accutane tomorrow thou

gh..

Anyway, thanks smile.png

I completely understand were you are at within yourself but you need to start focusing on what you like about yourself. Just like everyone else on this website you will have talents , things that you are good at , should not these talents be shared with the world? The fact is that you are a human being and you will have a lot of living to do. Do not let that all go to waste because of your Acne. You have hobbies and interests , take them further and join a club , keep treating your acne , focus on what you like about yourself as no doubt other people will like those positive attributes that you have , do what ever you have to do to beat Acne and get yourself back out into the world...and if is no to much to ask ( as I know that I am asking alot of you lol ) start trying to accept that other people may not actually think you skin is that bad at all , or in fact that they do even see your skin. They may only see you , and if some people do have a problem with your skin just remember that you may have Acne , but they are more than likely insecure , shallow and judgemental - I would rather have Acne.

Living itself can be scary , with added extras like Acne and a whole range of other problems that can occur in life it can even be even more scary and yet to get the most out of life we have to embrace the fear and take that chance. No man can ever be brave without being afraid. Take a chance and stop letting your Acne define you because your Acne is not who you are. Cheers for reading and keep your chin up mate smile.png

Well, thanks, but no one said Ive given up on life. I just said I have no social life. In fact, I'm building a multimillion dollar business from home.

Once my acne is gone, I'm gonna live life to its fullest.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 10/25/2013 5:46 am

yep! i do this literally every single day.. My partner assures me my acne does not bother her but its still hard to believe... I am a keen gym goer and i always avoid going into the pool, sauna or steam room because i don't want others to see my acne close up, whenever i leave the house i were a hat regardless of the weather just to cover abit of my acne up... i have made excuses not to go to friends birthdays because i know there would be pictures taken and i am the only one in my social group with bad acne. huh.png

MemberMember
(@blackstar85)

Posted : 10/26/2013 1:14 pm

aye! but not so much now unless its bad i try to get on with it cause to be fair the person who has the biggest problem with it and what people thnk.... is me. I think its cause over the past 5yrs ive been clear for a gd few yrs then came back with a vengence then clear again....u get me but it seriously got to me psychologically i was constantly in my room avoiding nights out etc I dont do that now cause it can get all kindsa dark n shady n thats how u end up obssessing. Hard to go out when u gots active acne or a horrendous breakout but just do it, you'll feel better for it when you realise no one really bothers about it S x

MemberMember
(@girlathome)

Posted : 01/02/2014 2:12 pm

I actually have to make up days after school because Ive been absent too much due to feeling crappy about myself.

MemberMember
(@kylenea)

Posted : 01/04/2014 9:03 pm

I do this quite often. It's not usually because of acne, but because on flaking, dry skin, or a perceived blemish. Having lived with my partner for almost 2 years now, and watching how he reacts to my behavior, I'm realizing how truly absurd it is. It's difficult to see when you're only accountable for yourself.

I hope it gets better for you!

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 01/05/2014 12:02 am

Please don't do this! I've definitely done this before, and I know it can be hard, but sticking to your commitments and actually living your life despite your acne will make you a stronger/better person. Don't let your acne hold you back from living your life! This is the one regret that I have from when my acne was very bad. You will be happier/less stressed out (which will help improve your skin) if you continue to participate in life. You will miss out on a lot, and possibly lose some relationships if you just let them fall by the wayside.

This will sound cliche, but learn how to define yourself through your experiences and acheivments. In a way, acne has been a blessing (though I would never wish it upon anyone), because I derive my self worth from more solid things.