Notifications
Clear all

Deep Box Scar On Nose

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 10/11/2013 6:11 pm

Hey everyone, new member. Have been a silent follower for a couple months now. Anyway, I guess I'll share my quick story about my nose scar that's depressing the hell out of me... I've never had a a real problem with acne until now. I mainly get it on my forehead with the occasional pimple on the nose or cheek. Anyway...Originally I had a small icepick scar, probably the size of a pin on my nose from picking a pimple. Tiny! You couldn't even see it unless it you were all up in my face! At first I didn't even know how I got this little hole on my nose, then later I remember the pimple I picked. It didn't even bother me at all, I wasn't self conscious about it at all. Anyway, one night after examining my face I decided "to hell with this hole" so I took a pin needle and poked it, thinking that it would heal up if I punctured it (not knowing I was actually needling the scar!). I didn't put any thing on the wound and it scanned over. It looked like it was getting better until the day the scan fell off. I now had this ugly HUGE crater right on my nostril! I was completely devastated... It is super visible in every type of light because of the shadow it casts. I've had this crater for about 7 months now, and it seems like it's getting worse. I've become incredibly depressed over this scar and now I never leave my house. I've been all over forums researching. I don't think tca, microdermabrasion, or lasers will be effective because of how deep it is. I'm considering punch elevation/excision but the nose is really unpredictable. I'm starting to lose hope. Anyone have similar scars that they have treated effectively, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

post-355711-0-56981400-1381533030_thumb.

post-355711-0-11031400-1381533056_thumb.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/13/2013 10:21 pm

Hey everyone, new member. Have been a silent follower for a couple months now. Anyway, I guess I'll share my quick story about my nose scar that's depressing the hell out of me... I've never had a a real problem with acne until now. I mainly get it on my forehead with the occasional pimple on the nose or cheek. Anyway...Originally I had a small icepick scar, probably the size of a pin on my nose from picking a pimple. Tiny! You couldn't even see it unless it you were all up in my face! At first I didn't even know how I got this little hole on my nose, then later I remember the pimple I picked. It didn't even bother me at all, I wasn't self conscious about it at all. Anyway, one night after examining my face I decided "to hell with this hole" so I took a pin needle and poked it, thinking that it would heal up if I punctured it (not knowing I was actually needling the scar!). I didn't put any thing on the wound and it scanned over. It looked like it was getting better until the day the scan fell off. I now had this ugly HUGE crater right on my nostril! I was completely devastated... It is super visible in every type of light because of the shadow it casts. I've had this crater for about 7 months now, and it seems like it's getting worse. I've become incredibly depressed over this scar and now I never leave my house. I've been all over forums researching. I don't think tca, microdermabrasion, or lasers will be effective because of how deep it is. I'm considering punch elevation/excision but the nose is really unpredictable. I'm starting to lose hope. Anyone have similar scars that they have treated effectively, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yea, impatience leads to mistakes. Well, atleast you've learned something valuable.

Most likely the scar was left because the diameter of the needle was too big.

Go to owndoc.com and read a lot of stuff there.

I recommend single needling.

Note: i havent done it yet but im planning to.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/14/2013 4:19 am

I'd look more into needling on the nose first before trying anything, as people say the skin doesn't heal the same way on the nose. And since you got the scar by needling the area in the first the place, it may not be the best idea to mess with it again. The scar isn't very noticeable overall and you're really lucky if that's all you have. It's nothing to worry about.

If it really bothers you, you could try Retin-A for the scar for several months, or learn how to use scar make-up like Dermaflage to cover it up.

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 10/14/2013 10:23 pm

Yea, impatience leads to mistakes. Well, atleast you've learned something valuable.

Most likely the scar was left because the diameter of the needle was too big.

Go to owndoc.com and read a lot of stuff there.

I recommend single needling.

Note: i havent done it yet but im planning to.

Thanks for the response ahhngee, I'm really skeptical about needling since it's how I got it in the first place lol... I've actually seen a few success stories for TCA, but the number of stories with no/worse results greatly outweighs them.

I'd look more into needling on the nose first before trying anything, as people say the skin doesn't heal the same way on the nose. And since you got the scar by needling the area in the first the place, it may not be the best idea to mess with it again. The scar isn't very noticeable overall and you're really lucky if that's all you have. It's nothing to worry about.

If it really bothers you, you could try Retin-A for the scar for several months, or learn how to use scar make-up like Dermaflage to cover it up.

Thanks for the response austra, I'm going to stay away from the needles for now, lol. Yeah, have been reading about retin, but I'm not sure how effective it would be for this gnarly scar. I appreciate your kind words but it totally stands out :/ and it's bothering me way too much. I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon in a few weeks so we'll see what he says.

MemberMember
(@slategun)

Posted : 10/15/2013 12:19 am

I have a scar almost just like yours but worse. When I saw yours, I thought how I would like to trade you. Anyways I am thinking about subcision from the bottom up. Or in other from inside the nostril, coming underneath the scar tissue, not breaking the outer skin on the nose. Just breaking up the underlying scar tissue so the depressed/attached skin can elevate and hopefully get some blood to enter then collagen to form.

Here is my situation. 14 weeks old.

[Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/15/2013 5:31 pm

On 10/15/2013 at 1:19 PM, SlateGun said:

I have a scar almost just like yours but worse. When I saw yours, I thought how I would like to trade you. Anyways I am thinking about subcision from the bottom up. Or in other from inside the nostril, coming underneath the scar tissue, not breaking the outer skin on the nose. Just breaking up the underlying scar tissue so the depressed/attached skin can elevate and hopefully get some blood to enter then collagen to form.

[Edited image out]

If you do try that, pls notify us of the results.

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 10/15/2013 6:11 pm

Slategun,

Thanks for the respone. Wow man, we have identical scars in the same spot! I was also considering subcision as well but I dont know how effective it is for deep boxcar scars. Typically subcision is used for rolling scars, but you would think it would work effectively for boxcar scars, but I dunno. Have you talked to a derm/surgeon regarding your scar? Basically, the surgical route is the best option for results from what I've read, but also the most risky. I have a consultation in a few weeks, so I'll weigh the options and see what the doc recommends (not expecting the answers that I want, lol). I'll keep you posted.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/15/2013 10:30 pm

Slategun,

Thanks for the respone. Wow man, we have identical scars in the same spot! I was also considering subcision as well but I dont know how effective it is for deep boxcar scars. Typically subcision is used for rolling scars, but you would think it would work effectively for boxcar scars, but I dunno. Have you talked to a derm/surgeon regarding your scar? Basically, the surgical route is the best option for results from what I've read, but also the most risky. I have a consultation in a few weeks, so I'll weigh the options and see what the doc recommends (not expecting the answers that I want, lol). I'll keep you posted.

Hey hamandcheese,

I was wondering what kind of needle did you use to cause that scarring?

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 10/17/2013 8:41 pm

Hey hamandcheese,

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/18/2013 4:43 pm

Hey hamandcheese,

It was a small sewing pin type needle.

MemberMember
(@db12)

Posted : 10/19/2013 8:10 pm

I hate nose scars -_- , I have one just like yours but flatter and wider. I tried to dermastamp but I think it just got alot worse ugh fml ;__;

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 10/19/2013 8:28 pm

I hate nose scars -_- , I have one just like yours but flatter and wider. I tried to dermastamp but I think it just got alot worse ugh fml ;__;

Have you ever tried any peels?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 10/19/2013 10:51 pm

What size were the needles? Did you go agressive? Did you wait enought time before stamping again? What do you mean it got worse? how?

MemberMember
(@db12)

Posted : 10/19/2013 11:35 pm

they were a 0.5. I'd say I was going at a decent pace not too rough. And I've only tried once about a week and a half ago , it looked slightly more rough on the edges also the indent was a bit more noticeable. I don't know if its just me though. I'm trying to wait a few more days. To see if anything improves.

What size were the needles? Did you go agressive? Did you wait enought time before stamping again? What do you mean it got worse? how?

Have you ever tried any peels?

Idk I have very little knowledge with peels. Do they work well with shallow nose scars ?

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 12/06/2013 1:23 am

Hello again.

Sorry its been a while but I wanted to update my experience as promised. As stated earlier in the thread I did have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss my options. He basically told me what I was expecting, which was basically not to mess with it because of the possibility of making it worse, especially with my skin tone. I then asked him about submission and sort of looked confused for a second then pretty much just said it wouldn't work. So now I'm considering derma stamping the scarred area because it looks like its becoming a little more shallow or tca cross with a low level acid, but again... very skeptical.

Hey agghhne, how's the needling going? I hope you're seeing improvements.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 12/06/2013 10:03 pm

Hello again.

Sorry its been a while but I wanted to update my experience as promised. As stated earlier in the thread I did have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss my options. He basically told me what I was expecting, which was basically not to mess with it because of the possibility of making it worse, especially with my skin tone. I then asked him about submission and sort of looked confused for a second then pretty much just said it wouldn't work. So now I'm considering derma stamping the scarred area because it looks like its becoming a little more shallow or tca cross with a low level acid, but again... very skeptical.

Well, i havent done my needling session yet just because i have special occassions coming. But im plannig to after.

So far i did 2 sessions. Tbh, i havent been noticing my nose scar because im not looking for it anymore. I dont go near the mirror. I dont wear my glasses whenever i look in the mirror. And the biggest reason is, im actually busy doing club activities, doing performances, school, and a lot more.

Im not planning on looking or observing my scar so that results are more noticable. I will examine my nose scar in march. I will update by then.

So, your nose scar is getting shallower? Thats good!

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 12/09/2013 12:36 am

So I've made up my mind and decided to try TCA cross. I found a derm who performs the procedure and plan on doing it once my school semester is over (winter break). Will keep everyone updated.

Hello again.

Well, i havent done my needling session yet just because i have special occassions coming. But im plannig to after.
So far i did 2 sessions. Tbh, i havent been noticing my nose scar because im not looking for it anymore. I dont go near the mirror. I dont wear my glasses whenever i look in the mirror. And the biggest reason is, im actually busy doing club activities, doing performances, school, and a lot more.
Im not planning on looking or observing my scar so that results are more noticable. I will examine my nose scar in march. I will update by then.

I'm glad you're staying busy. Sounds like you're doing well. I wish it was possible for me not to look at my scar everyday, unfortunately for me I find it very difficult... heh.

It seems like it. Some days I swear by it, but then some days I feel like it's just all in my head (probably is, lol).

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 12/09/2013 5:10 pm

So I've made up my mind and decided to try TCA cross. I found a derm who performs the procedure and plan on doing it once my school semester is over (winter break). Will keep everyone updated.

Hello again.

I'm glad you're staying busy. Sounds like you're doing well. I wish it was possible for me not to look at my scar everyday, unfortunately for me I find it very difficult... heh.

It seems like it. Some days I swear by it, but then some days I feel like it's just all in my head (probably is, lol).

Yea, it is hard to not notice it when you're not busy.

I'm sure though that as soon as you become busy and doing stuff that makes you happy and makes you feel important, you won't be thinking about it as much.

I guess having bad eye sight helps too hahaha :)

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 12/13/2013 2:30 am

On 12/10/2013 at 6:10 AM, AghhNe said:
On 12/9/2013 at 1:36 PM, Hamandcheese said:

On 12/7/2013 at 11:03 AM, AghhNe said:
On 12/6/2013 at 2:23 PM, Hamandcheese said:

Hello again.

Yea, it is hard to not notice it when you're not busy.

I'm sure though that as soon as you become busy and doing stuff that makes you happy and makes you feel important, you won't be thinking about it as much.

I guess having bad eye sight helps too hahaha [Edited image out]

Even when I am busy it still bothers me, hahaha. You're lucky you have bad eye sight :) All the carrots I ate as a child have come back to haunt me [Edited image out[

MemberMember
(@luvpink)

Posted : 01/18/2014 12:48 pm

Hi Hamandcheese,

I have a similar but wider scar right on the middle of my nose near the tip. It's much more obvious and harder to hide. I spent over $5000 on treatments but no real results.

I would recommend filling it temporary with some kind of special fx makeup putty and see if that works to reduce the appearance.

I know when the light hits the scar, the shadows make it more obvious.

The nose is a tricky area and unfortunately for me, i have very oily skin so i have to blot my skin a lot.

Anyways products that worked the best for me are:

Concealapore (scoop it out and mix it on the back of ur hand to warm up the wax to make it more pliable). They have the best applicator, buy extras!

Ben Nye nose and scar wax: comes in 3 colors. Sealing with latex is very tricky so i dont't do it. It's fine without it. U might have to check and reapply throughout the day.

I have medium skin so i also used Mehron scar wax but prefer Ben Nye better.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 01/22/2014 4:37 am

So i've decided to wait on the tca until summer. Just going to wait until the school year is over. Lately my scar hasn't been bothering me which feels nice. Sometimes I even feel like my old confident self again but it's always short lived. Maybe I'm moving in the right direction towards accepting this scar. In the meantime I have a few more months to make up my mind.

Hi Hamandcheese,

I have a similar but wider scar right on the middle of my nose near the tip. It's much more obvious and harder to hide. I spent over $5000 on treatments but no real results.

I would recommend filling it temporary with some kind of special fx makeup putty and see if that works to reduce the appearance.

I know when the light hits the scar, the shadows make it more obvious.

The nose is a tricky area and unfortunately for me, i have very oily skin so i have to blot my skin a lot.

Anyways products that worked the best for me are:

Concealapore (scoop it out and mix it on the back of ur hand to warm up the wax to make it more pliable). They have the best applicator, buy extras!

Ben Nye nose and scar wax: comes in 3 colors. Sealing with latex is very tricky so i dont't do it. It's fine without it. U might have to check and reapply throughout the day.

I have medium skin so i also used Mehron scar wax but prefer Ben Nye better.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Arggg don't you just hate them suckers? I'm curious, what have you tried? Have you tried tca cross? I've heard of concealapore and it sounds pretty interesting, I'll check more into it. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@luvpink)

Posted : 01/22/2014 9:32 am

I'm happy to hear that you're not bothered by it. If that's the case, i would leave it alone then.

Yes i tried TCA cross once but you have to do mutliple times to see results. Because my scar is on the top of my nose, TCA created a frosty crust and it was hard to conceal. when the crust falls it will look bigger and worse before it gets better. My nose got super red/hyper pigmented and was hard to cover with makeup. I was even more self concious and had to go back to work. My nose has been red for a long time from all those different procedures that i wish i never did any of it.

If you can take time off and not go out for a week at a time, then i would pursue TCA cross. It appears to be very effective and not as expensive as other treatments. I paid $100 for the session. Lasers can be ten times the price.

I hope it works out for you. Please keep is posted!

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 01/24/2014 9:10 pm

I'm happy to hear that you're not bothered by it. If that's the case, i would leave it alone then.

Yes i tried TCA cross once but you have to do mutliple times to see results. Because my scar is on the top of my nose, TCA created a frosty crust and it was hard to conceal. when the crust falls it will look bigger and worse before it gets better. My nose got super red/hyper pigmented and was hard to cover with makeup. I was even more self concious and had to go back to work. My nose has been red for a long time from all those different procedures that i wish i never did any of it.

If you can take time off and not go out for a week at a time, then i would pursue TCA cross. It appears to be very effective and not as expensive as other treatments. I paid $100 for the session. Lasers can be ten times the price.

I hope it works out for you. Please keep is posted!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I commend your bravery for doing cross on your nose. Yeah, I've read that scars look deeper and more red once the scabs come off, which is kind of terrifying to hear lol. Did you use 100% acid?

MemberMember
(@luvpink)

Posted : 01/27/2014 9:44 am

No i think it was 75%? I got it done by a nurse at some laser clinic.

I have tried needling with tatoo gun 3x's - no change at $250 per session.

3x's CO2 laser, subcision, dermasanding and fat grafting. My scar improved by 30% and is less shallow but still there and most noticable under direct light.

All the best to you!

MemberMember
(@hamandcheese)

Posted : 01/31/2014 12:12 am

No i think it was 75%? I got it done by a nurse at some laser clinic.

I have tried needling with tatoo gun 3x's - no change at $250 per session.

3x's CO2 laser, subcision, dermasanding and fat grafting. My scar improved by 30% and is less shallow but still there and most noticable under direct light.

All the best to you!

Ok cool. It's comforting knowing that there is hope for improving nose scars. Again, I appreciate you sharing your experiences.