Notifications
Clear all

Dermaroller - Shorter Needless But More Often = Same Effects Of Longer Needless?

MemberMember
(@ostojewa2)

Posted : 10/10/2013 2:08 pm

First of all let me clarify one thing.

I do not talking about cosmetic dermaller, which don't stimulate collagen (I need this for atrofic scars).

But I think I red that 1,5 mm needles in dermaroller can stimulate collagen induction. So, e.g. if I would take dermaroller 2 mm and use it more frequently, would it stimulate collagen production in the same manner than dermaroller with e.g. 4 mm needless?

I think not, but who knows...

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 10/11/2013 9:38 am

go to the owndoc.com site all of your questions will be answered there - I would never use even 1.5mm on myself at home, although some do ...no way would I go near 2.0mm without a professional

but please read up about the process before you begin

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 10/12/2013 5:56 am

No. Length is everything. 0.5mm will stimulate collagen but it will not break up scar tissue no matter how often you roll.

1.5 - 2.0mm is the required lengths for atrophic scar correction. I've had both 1.5 and 2.0mm (1.5m from the Dermaroller and up to 2.0 for the eDermastamp in only my cheek areas) and have seen incredible results.

4.0mm is unheard of and if you ever come across a roller with needles that length... run, and run far!

Diane07 liked
MemberMember
(@ostojewa2)

Posted : 10/16/2013 11:53 am

1. I'm thinking about proffesional care ofc.

2. I know that 0.5 are not enough. I was taking about needless which have lenght. e.g. 2 mm which CAN induce collagen and 3 mm which induce collagen as well but more.

3.Quirky Fox, do you have atrophic scars? Any pictures? Do you do roller 2mm by yourself or in clinique?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 10/16/2013 12:32 pm

1. I'm thinking about proffesional care ofc.

2. I know that 0.5 are not enough. I was taking about needless which have lenght. e.g. 2 mm which CAN induce collagen and 3 mm which induce collagen as well but more.

3.Quirky Fox, do you have atrophic scars? Any pictures? Do you do roller 2mm by yourself or in clinique?

3mm is surgical dermaroller and will likely require general anaesthetic if you want to do your face. I think you can induce more collagen with the longer needles but at a certain point, it stops being safe to do at home or a medical/aethetician's office and you risk needling the lower dermis or subcutaneous fat layer which will get you nowhere. Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@smile81)

Posted : 10/18/2013 11:32 am

Hi

I want buy a derma roller , can any one help me here and tell me which brand to buy ?

MemberMember
(@aquasea)

Posted : 10/18/2013 5:45 pm

Hi Ostojewa2,

I recommend that you NOT consider anything above 1.00mm because serious complications can arise (i.e. longer needles can sever nerves PERMANENTLY and the numbing cream can also negatively affect facial nerves - also rolling too hard, too often and too thoroughly can damage your facial skin). It's best to go slow and sparingly. You also need to heal between rolling, sometimes leaving a few days, sometimes a week between rolls, sometimes a fortnight and sometimes months between rolls. Your skin takes 3 months to regenerate collagen. So you need to be patient, positive and consistent.

Personally, I have not skin rolled for the last 3 months and I have seen dramatic improvement in my skin during this time (albeit, I have derma rolled for about 2 years previously). I probably will not derma roll for another year now as I have achieved satisfactory results. I'm just concentrating on rectifying superficial imperfections now. Of course, you don't need to take my advice. However, I strongly urge you to research the pro & cons of using any needle size. It can be a relatively risk-free procedure if done correctly. However, remember that over zealous doctors have been known to use too harsh rolling techniques and damage their client's faces (i.e. macerated skin, damaged nerves, destroyed underlying facial fat). In this way, it's best to start slow, conservative and safely. Also, as I mentioned before, you can concentrate on problem areas by using a single needle approach to minimise risk to other areas of your face. This worked for my surgical facial scars so it should work for any acne scars!!!

I used a short needle from clearskincare.com.au along with key topicals (copper peptides, pure lemon juice, beta glucan liquid etc - just interchange, don't use them all at once). I also ate a very healthy mostly raw organic, GMO free, organic vegan diet and got sunshine (and drank quality supergreen powder juices by synergy i.e. chlorella, spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass in fresh juice). My skin is looking much better now (even with the fact I received 2nd degree burns from using retin a with glycolic skin peels - never combine peels with retin a!!!!). You can also use a single needle from owndoc.com for more intensive needling for stubborn, deeper scar areas (this will prevent stressing areas of the face that don't need to be rolled). This technique has worked for me.

I also take a multivitamin from Deva Nutrition (women should take their prenatal version) as well as a Vitamin D/ Calcium supplement from Ostelin. And I take DHA/ EPA drops by Deva Nutrition for omega 3.

It took me 1.5 - 2 years to achieve a smoother appearance by using the shorter needle. I also think that retin a is key to polishing the skin's surface. However, retin a is a VERY potent topical (don't use it is you're planning or a pregnant). Also, only use retin a sparingly and then stop using it after 3-6 months. Replace it with something natural & healing like beta glucan liquid from Garden of Wisdom. You can also look into using retinaldehyde as a safer alternative to retin a. Pure Skin Junkie use it in their products. B3 (niacinamide) is also said to help skin in quality products.

In the last 3 months I have not skin rolled. I also have kept a very simple and sparse regime. I am just washing my face 3 x per week (not everyday - over washing/ daily showers are very bad for your skin) with New Directions Mild Cleansing Lotion. I also use Sukin foaming cleanser once a fortnight. I have been applying beta glucan liquid (from New direction - but their product has additives, so I might switch to Garden of Wisdom) only after washing. Recently, I introduced Sukin Replenishing Night Cream and Sukin Facial Mist. This helps my skin remain supple and hydrated (NB dry, dehydrated skin is more prone to scarring). I have stopped using retin a. I might resume it again only if I need it at a later time, but only for a few months, once a week and then stop again. Otherwise, I might use a product with retinaldehyde instead (which gives you the result of retin a with lower risk). I will not use peels anymore (although they did help me initially, however, after my 2nd degree burn mishap, I'm staying well clear of them in future!! Neither do I recommend peels anymore. I find pure lemon juice superior and far safer to peels).

Lastly, I also found organic lavender oil, tea tree oil and sea salt washes to be key to stopping my acne outbreaks, but I don't need to worry about that anymore, my natural wholefood organic unprocessed vegan diet has stopped my acne. Lastly, 6 x weekly rosehip oil 30 minute facial massages were helpful in plumping up my skin (I did this for a month only). However, I only use rosehip oil occasionally as it gives me isolated spots.

Hopefully, this information is helpful to you.

Cheers!
AS [Edited image out]

PS There was a very good link on here about skin needling outlining the risks. I will try to source it for you.

PPS I also use 100% pure vitamin E under my eyes and around it. It stops wrinkles and lines. Highly recommended!

PPPS If you choose a vegan diet, remember you MUST take a supplement with B12. About 2000 micrograms of B12 per week. Even non-vegans are often deficient in this vital vitamin.

u1971 liked
MemberMember
(@foxeevee)

Posted : 09/29/2016 5:26 pm

I use a 1.5mm dermastamp with the suction method found in own doc. The 1.5mm is on my cheeks... Too long for anywhere else. It works really nice.. The stamp is 1000x better in my opinion. Owndoc is a great site!