Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane

MemberMember
(@anacristina)

Posted : 10/10/2013 9:58 am

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify a few things as my dermatologist (who I only saw twice) has prescribed with Isotretinoin 10mg every day for 20 days and then pass to every other day...

Summary: I had mild acne when I was 15 (just on my chin) and was prescribed tetracycline for a month.. worked wonders.. never had breakouts again.

Recently I have had a few breakouts (some cysts and mostly breakouts on my chin) I have oily to combination skin. But to my opinion, nothing major...This dermatologist prescribed me first with minocycline.. I tried it for 2 days but felt nauseous and so stopped.. during the summer my skin got better but with the occasional breakouts.. This second time I went to see my doctor she prescribed me with Isotretinoin, Accutane.. I started researching and saw many side effects that werent very appealing... just wondering whether Accutane is right for someone with mild acne and if so is it normal to take this medication for only a month?

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/10/2013 5:43 pm

Good you came here. No, Accutane doesn't sound right for you. It should only be used by those with severe acne.

Why did you stop taking Tetracycline? Supplementing with Zinc works great for my oily skin..

mes6890 liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/11/2013 12:28 am

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify a few things as my dermatologist (who I only saw twice) has prescribed with Isotretinoin 10mg every day for 20 days and then pass to every other day...

Summary: I had mild acne when I was 15 (just on my chin) and was prescribed tetracycline for a month.. worked wonders.. never had breakouts again.

Recently I have had a few breakouts (some cysts and mostly breakouts on my chin) I have oily to combination skin. But to my opinion, nothing major...This dermatologist prescribed me first with minocycline.. I tried it for 2 days but felt nauseous and so stopped.. during the summer my skin got better but with the occasional breakouts.. This second time I went to see my doctor she prescribed me with Isotretinoin, Accutane.. I started researching and saw many side effects that werent very appealing... just wondering whether Accutane is right for someone with mild acne and if so is it normal to take this medication for only a month?

You said your skin got better in the summer, were you getting more sunlight? You might be deficient in vitamin D. You can get tested for that....supplementing with vitamin D and/or getting more sunlight has helped a lot of people including myself.

If you have mild acne you shouldn't resort to extreme medication. It might be an infection (since antibotics cleared your breakouts in the past), fungal, or hormonal.

MemberMember
(@mes6890)

Posted : 10/12/2013 1:30 pm

Ballen is 100% correct....Accutane should only be reserved for those with the most severe acne.

MemberMember
(@intensecow)

Posted : 10/12/2013 8:30 pm

I disagree about the severity of acne for which Accutane can be prescribed. Accutane can also be used for moderate but persistent acne. I'm in the latter case and I've tried just about everything to get rid of acne. I'm hoping that Accutane , which is the last resort , will be a miracle !

but to clarify, I don't think any doctor should prescribe Accutane to somebody with mild acne unless all other types of treatments/medicines have been tried first.

MemberMember
(@davek)

Posted : 10/17/2013 7:38 pm

Some advice. Google "accutane sexual dysfunction". If your one of the unlucky ones, its permanent.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/19/2013 6:01 pm

Some advice. Google "accutane sexual dysfunction". If your one of the unlucky ones, its permanent.

That seems to be very rare.

MemberMember
(@davek)

Posted : 10/19/2013 6:54 pm

Yea, the thousands of men (and women) making these claims are all in a world wide hoax.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/20/2013 5:09 pm

Yea, the thousands of men (and women) making these claims are all in a world wide hoax.

No, but its still rare.