Notifications
Clear all

Zinc For Acne?

MemberMember
(@linpasta)

Posted : 10/08/2013 5:30 am

Dear all,

I am currently suffering from mild acne, very often I have these little bumps on my face. They will usually settle there for a week or so. My derm told me my form of acne is comedonal. I also have very oily face and it gets red sometimes ( usually around my cheek areas ). I found out that taking zinc helps and has high review on here (4.1/5.0) but I want to know what type of zinc should i get? Is zinc picolinate good?

The one I will be getting is a 25mg dosage. However, I am worried that I will get a 'purging' acne outbreak during the initial consumption. Has anyone tried this form of zinc and achieve results from it? I'd love to receive some tips and reviews personally. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 10/08/2013 8:59 am

Dear all,

I am currently suffering from mild acne, very often I have these little bumps on my face. They will usually settle there for a week or so. My derm told me my form of acne is comedonal. I also have very oily face and it gets red sometimes ( usually around my cheek areas ). I found out that taking zinc helps and has high review on here (4.1/5.0) but I want to know what type of zinc should i get? Is zinc picolinate good?

The one I will be getting is a 25mg dosage. However, I am worried that I will get a 'purging' acne outbreak during the initial consumption. Has anyone tried this form of zinc and achieve results from it? I'd love to receive some tips and reviews personally. Thank you.

This is the kind of acne I have and boy is it a pest.

When it comes to a zinc supplement, I believe just your standard version will help. I used to take zinc, and for a while it worked wonderfully! Personally I did not experience any kind of purging. I think it is more a healing agent then anything. Just make sure you take it will food or you will legitimately feel like you are going to yack.

MemberMember
(@linpasta)

Posted : 10/08/2013 10:15 am

Dear all,

When it comes to a zinc supplement, I believe just your standard version will help. I used to take zinc, and for a while it worked wonderfully! Personally I did not experience any kind of purging. I think it is more a healing agent then anything. Just make sure you take it will food or you will legitimately feel like you are going to yack.

Well thank you for leaving a response! Umm may I ask why you stop taking it? I just read somewhere that reviews can not be 100% trusted because companies tend to advertise their own products there. So I am kind of conscious about it. :S And yeah those tiny bumps are so annoying! I also get some flares here and there when my period is approaching. Grr Haha.

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 10/08/2013 10:59 am

On 10/8/2013 at 9:15 PM, linpasta said:
On 10/8/2013 at 7:59 PM, ishly said:
On 10/8/2013 at 4:30 PM, linpasta said:

Dear all,

Well thank you for leaving a response! Umm may I ask why you stop taking it? I just read somewhere that reviews can not be 100% trusted because companies tend to advertise their own products there. So I am kind of conscious about it. :S And yeah those tiny bumps are so annoying! I also get some flares here and there when my period is approaching. Grr Haha.

Yes! With so many products floating around it is hard to be sure you aren't being duped. I was initially taking zinc as part of a supplement "cocktail" I read about on a blog called xojane: [Removed]

It was some time ago so I don't think there was a hard and fast reason why I stopped. Honestly I probably started to get lazy because my skin was stable or I was intrigued by some other method (I'm fickle w. skin care routines). I remember taking all those supplements was kind of a pest (I would run out of some faster than others and blah blah).

Zinc is something I would definitely revisit if I wasn't already taking a hormone pill (I try not to go crazy with pills!). My sister uses zinc consistently and her skin looks awesome.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@linpasta)

Posted : 10/09/2013 7:09 am

Mhm, I'm still procrastinating! : I

Currently I am using epsom salt for acne and the redness, it helped a lot but when there are plenty of alternatives there's always a chance to try right? I have read about Apple Vinegar Cider, applying it as a toner and taking it orally. Have you or anyone tried this method before? I have bodyache as well, the ones at my back are those hard and painful ones. I'm not too sure if it'll help but yeah.. what do you think?

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 10/17/2013 9:39 am

Mhm, I'm still procrastinating! : I

Currently I am using epsom salt for acne and the redness, it helped a lot but when there are plenty of alternatives there's always a chance to try right? I have read about Apple Vinegar Cider, applying it as a toner and taking it orally. Have you or anyone tried this method before? I have bodyache as well, the ones at my back are those hard and painful ones. I'm not too sure if it'll help but yeah.. what do you think?

Interesting! I've never tried epsom salt, but sounds beneficial for you. Oooh yes I have done the Apple Cider Vinegar routine. I used to take a shot of it as well as use it as a toner. ACV is extremely potent ingested or put on topically. It tastes AWFUL, so sometimes it helps to take dilute it with water and honey. it can also be a bit rough on tooth enamel so try to use a straw if you do go that route. I felt I could see more results using it as a toner than drinking it. I think it is great for evening out skin tone. Again, it is a very strong agent that smells like... stinky feet haha So I would make my own little mixture using half ACV and the other half containing regular water and/or rose water which would help the smell and is also very gentle. Luckily the smell doesn't linger for more than a few minutes!

MemberMember
(@camdawg)

Posted : 10/31/2013 6:05 am

Chelated Zinc I believe is better absorbed (chelated means it has amino acids added which help with absorption).

MemberMember
(@kristinaah)

Posted : 10/31/2013 6:48 am

Hey! It migh't work for you :) I've been taking zinc (pills) and topical zinc and cleanser with zinc for about 5 months , they might help "heal faster" a little bit but they absolutely wont "cure" anything, aswell once i stopped using zinc cleanser / topical treatment my acne has actually got much better for some reason , i guess it depends on what kind of acne you have but i find if its like you say comedonal - it won't really help that much .... But try it out and let me know !