Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had a consult in Columbus, Ohio yesterday, and the Dr. said that he felt that subcision would be the best treatment for my scars, especailly since I will be getting a second dermabrasion in Jan. I've tried to read previous posts about it, but decided that a new post would be better to see if others have had it done or what they have heard about it.

eusa_think.gif

My main concerns are the pain and any possible complications that come along with it. Anyone got anything for me???? PLEASE! eusa_eh.gif

I had it done. I saw some improvement, but nothing I could assign a percentage on. Unfortunately, there's no way to know how your skin will react to subcision - everyone is different.

The injections before the procedure hurt. The procedure itself did not hurt. I didn't have much discomfort at all afterward. I was bruised/swollen for several days afterward, but didn't experience much, if any pain.

I had subcision done 1.5 years ago, and for me it was the best procedure I've done so far. I've had dermabrasions and C02 laser resurfacings and I ended up with more scarring and hypopigmentation from those.

Subcision is best for soft, rolling scars on the cheeks. I had it done on cheeks/chin area and the chin improved but not as much. The swelling and bruising lasted about a week.

GoldRex--I had 2 full face and 1 spot dermabrasions in 89-91. Unfortunately, I don't know what tool was used--I did not think to ask at that time. They were done by two different doctors. The first time the loser doctor dug too deep with the tool and caused a huge, deep rivet in my skin. I am still trying to get rid of that damn scar. The subsequent derms were done by a better doc (well at least he did no further damage) and I did receive some improvement--but no where near significant.

Annabelle,

I would get a second opinion if you can afford the consult unless you're convinced this guy's the bomb. I had two separate consults with highly regarded derms that perform subcision. One said no, the other said he respects the other doctor, but disagrees with his opinion on performing subcision on me scars. So....I went to a third and he said it could be done, but he was cautious about doing it cause their are a lot of veins in the temple region. A fourth guy said yeeah you will love it, there is no risk so I immediately put his name in the "no, I do not want you touching my face" bin. eusa_hand.gif

Did that help at all?

-Dan

I'm getting subcision done in a weeks time, i'll let you know how it goes. Personally, pain is the last thing i would be worried about - a bit of physical pain is nothing compared to the emotional pain of scars!

Thanks Dan, I think I am going to reconsider this whole thing because from what I've heard that many that have had it done saw minimal improvements.

Hi, this is my first post even though I've been lurking for a LONG time. This is a great site!

I just wanted to add my two cents about subcision. I got subcision done solely from reading about it on this site. I've gotten about 4 or 5 lots done in the last 1.5 years, and I must say that it is the best procedure I've undergone!

I have various types of scarring, and almost all of them have benefited from subcision. But this is certainly not a procedure to do once and expect to see all the results you can get; with each subcision, I've only seen more improvement!

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

hey LisaT, what percentage improvement do you think you've gotten from your subcisions? Did you notice the biggest improvement from the first one? Also what was your downtime like?

Cheers.

Hey Dave666, I am not very good at quantifying results, but I will try. I definitely noticed a difference with the first subcision, but I am much happier with the appearance of my scars having undergone multiple sessions. Overall, I think there is at least 60% improvement, even in my worst scar, which was a 0.7 cm by 0.3 cm chicken pox scar. (It's now much, much shallower).

I think the first subcision was by far the worst in terms of bruising and swelling. I had the procedure on a Friday, and I could not go ANYWHERE that first weekend. I ventured out the following Monday, but only with a heavy coat of concealer. If I had a choice, I would definitely stay in a good week after the procedure.

Good luck with your procedure, and let us know how it turns out!

ann_a_bell, post some pictures of your scars. Subcision is a bad idea if they are shallow. If your scars don't extend beyond the dermis, then it'll just mess things up.

I've had two subscisions and to be honest the first one I was disappointed with - the second one though was MUCH better and I would say combined with NLITE the scars on my right cheek have improved by at least 50%

I am booked into have more subscision in January - with further NLITEs

and would recommend it to anyone that has a good doctor (I see Dr.Chu)

I had subscision and I see no improvement really but it is for a saucer shaped scar. I have only had one proceedure.

Heard it was better for rolling but I dont have any of those.

Good news is its very safe if done with the right doctor and it does help some people

Can someone please answer me this, would you be best to get subcision, then get dermabrasion a few months down the line? or would it be the other way about, get the dermabrasion first then the subcision???...............

Also Ann_a_bell, didnt you just have dermabrasion about 4mths ago with dr Y? if so why would you want to get subcision?? am i correct in thinking that you do not see the full benefit of dermabrasion, until about 10mths after the procedure, as it takes quite a long time for collegen to fully remodel, are/were your scars really quite deep?

Damn........ I'm getting to paranoid, i keep thinking that maybe one dermabrasion wont be enough and i might need subcision afterwords, followed by another full face dermabrasion. AAAARGH!

Ann_a_bell did Dr Yarborough tell you that one full face derm would not be enough? i dread him saying that to me as i could no where near aford 2 dermabrasions.

Please write back, and good luck! wink.gif

Yes I did have dermabrasion in the end of June. My scars were pretty deep. By looking at them right now, I know that even if collagen still continues to fill in some areas, my scars will still be quite visible. When I asked Dr. Y if he thought that I might need more than one dermabrasion he just said, "Only if you want to my dear." As for the subcision, I have the wavy effect from the skin being tethered down and subcision helps to break up the old collagen that is holding the skin down, giving it the wavy effect, dermabrasion does not do that. However, when I spoke with Dr. Y.'s nurse regarding the subcision, she said that Dr. Y. had told another girl that it wouldn't really make a difference, but she would ask Dr. Y. when he gets back in town on Monday.

Ok, i think i understand.... but what was it that gave your skin that wavy appearance in the fist place? and did the dermabrasion make it appear worse?

Thanks

the waves on my lower cheeks are like very shallow pitted scars, but also I have deeper pitted scars and boxcars on the center of my cheeks and temples. The dermabrasion did not make my scars worse, maybe a little wider, but much more shallow and smooth.

My subcision expereince together with a filler called aquamid(sorry for the delay)...

I want to share my experiences on fillers w/ and w/o subcision...

First of all i have done this filler for my scar revision on an acne scar that it become more dented last April...As for my expereince on filler called aquamid, first i was injected 3x between July to August on the same scar. It got no improvement because the filler migrated on the sides of the scar..The second injection was on the dermis, no improvement the filler absorb quickly maybe this aquamid is good only for subcutaneous not on the dermis.The third injection, well i was still not satisfied because the center of the scar has a dent one....

After 2 months the dr. perform subcision togethe with aquamid on the same scar, the subcision needle was like 19 0r 18 g.The dr. told me after subcision aquamid must be injected or ease it would become deeper coz after subcision some of the tissues there will be destroyed, the scars will become more deeper, he only inject .3 ml of aquamid..4 days after the swelling went down, i said OMG, the scarbecome more dent than the original scar, there is a saying that subcision makes scars more bigger, i went to my plastic surgeon without having an appointment and i cried so hard maybe it would become worse..But the dr. told me try to relax and come back after 2 days to have aquamid reinjected. After 2 days he ijected me about .3ml of aquamid, 4 days later i feel satisfied, why because the center of the scar has risen up.In my theory without subcision no fillers will help because there is no space(sak) for a filler without suvcision the fillers will migrate on the sides of the scar, leaving the center of the scar dented while the sides of the scar looks like a donut...Well on my 3 weeks update, i am so happy because the center of the scar has risen-up, yes there is a scar from the excison but the dent scar is no more...Thanks my story...

Is it possible that after having subcision alone, with no filler, that the scar that was subcised rises beyond the level of your normal skin? does that make sence? instead of it being indented, it could be the opposite, like stick out further that the healthy normal skin? or is that not possible?

Also, Ann-a-bell you might be able to answer this, would it be best to get subcision done before having dermabrasion? would that yield greater results? and also would it be alright a year after having a full face dermabrasion, to get subcision on scars that were still pretty obvious, and if so, would you then have to get another full face dermabrasion to smoothen out all of the skin? or would it look smoother after the subcision alone, without a second dermabrasion?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Thanks guys

Miss Shady, (Oooooo did you see Em on SNL last night???? wub.gifeusa_drool.gif) However, I digress. biggrin.gif This is what my understanding of the whole subcision this is, I was told that it is used in conjunction with resurfacing treatments such as lasers or dermabrasion. Hence, if the scars are raised by the subcision, the resurfacing procedures will smooth that out. I'm still quite unsure about the subcision, I do not want to make the wrong decision if it will make the scars bigger.