Notifications
Clear all

Help! Aczone & Spiro

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 10/06/2013 11:45 pm

Hello fellow Acne Suffers!

I am a 23 year-old young professional who has been dealing with acne and dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking) since I was 13 years old. I have been through the ringer, having seemingly tried every over the counter, prescription and ~natural~ remedy out there. I am currently taking spironolactone (hormonal pill) internally and topically using hempseed oil to oil cleanse while applying aczone at night.

Thoughts & Information:

Spiro- I have been taking 100mg for about 2 months now. I have noticed few/no side effects. The only difference I have experienced is light headed-ness when working out (spiro lowers blood pressure). As for the results on my acne, I feel as though it has helped but not eliminated the problem entirely. I still notice a lot of comedones along my cheeks and jawline. However, my forehead and chin seem to be responding quite positively. I tend to be a very impatient person but everything I have heard/read has encouraged me to wait a full three months before expecting drastic results so fingers crossed this all works out! Anyone out there with some encouraging spiro stories? Do share!

Hempseed oil/OCM- When I first started using this I thought I found a hard hitting fix for my skin woes, and although it is a great supplement, it may not be the hero I am looking for. I typically steam my face over a pot of recently boiled water, and then rub, rub, rub the hempseed oil into my pores. When I am doing this I do feel tiny grains like things on my face. I then wash after rubbing for 20+ minutes and will occasionally follow-up with a clay mask in hopes of removing and loosened debris. I can't tell how much of a difference this (long) process is making, but as a compulsive skin picker it certainly helps keep my hands occupied.

Aczone- I have only been using aczone for about 3 weeks. What I really like about it is how mild it is. Prior to using aczone, I was prescribed tazorac. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Although I am sure it was doing what it is supposed to do as a retinoid, my skin was an absolute disaster. It flaked and peeled and my acne was angry and inflamed. Braver souls than I have been able to see this treatment through 3 months, but for me it was unbearable. With this in mind, I really love aczone because it is completely non-irritating. I also like that it dries sort of matte, making my skin look a little better and not feel oily. It terms of results, nothing crazy but I do believe it is helping!

I am not sure how useful this post will be to others, but I have consistently turned to this website when I am in search of those with situations similar to mine.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/07/2013 6:30 pm

Good luck.

Remember that spiro is best taken with breakfast and with lunch. If you take it with food it will buffer the side effects (such as lightheadedness). It will also be most effective at those times of day because of how hormones cycle. Your androgens are higher earlier in the day. Taking it later on won't do you much good, and it may cause insomnia.

Moisture has been invaluable in getting my skin to heal. Moisture does not equal oil. You can have oily skin that is dehydrated. You can also have non-oily skin that has lots of moisture. Moisture is about water retention. Even oily people should moisturize with something that contains HUMECTANTS. Oil is a sealant, it will keep existing moisture from escaping your skin (think like a sheet of saran wrap on your face), but it won't add that needed moisture your skin doesn't have. Without moisture, your skin heals extremely slow. I moisturize about 3x a day now in the dry season.

There are a lot of reasons I stopped doing OCM, and you can search on the boards for all the people it has failed, but suffice to say that it doesn't really make scientific sense, and in the end it simply didn't work. Also I'm pretty sure the tiny grains is actually the oil solidifying, which often happens under pressure (for example, massaging it around for 10 minutes...)

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 10/07/2013 10:21 pm

Good luck.

Remember that spiro is best taken with breakfast and with lunch. If you take it with food it will buffer the side effects (such as lightheadedness). It will also be most effective at those times of day because of how hormones cycle. Your androgens are higher earlier in the day. Taking it later on won't do you much good, and it may cause insomnia.

Moisture has been invaluable in getting my skin to heal. Moisture does not equal oil. You can have oily skin that is dehydrated. You can also have non-oily skin that has lots of moisture. Moisture is about water retention. Even oily people should moisturize with something that contains HUMECTANTS. Oil is a sealant, it will keep existing moisture from escaping your skin (think like a sheet of saran wrap on your face), but it won't add that needed moisture your skin doesn't have. Without moisture, your skin heals extremely slow. I moisturize about 3x a day now in the dry season.

There are a lot of reasons I stopped doing OCM, and you can search on the boards for all the people it has failed, but suffice to say that it doesn't really make scientific sense, and in the end it simply didn't work. Also I'm pretty sure the tiny grains is actually the oil solidifying, which often happens under pressure (for example, massaging it around for 10 minutes...)

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I typically take the spiro with my lunch, but it is interesting you say it can contribute to insomnia.

I see your point about moisturizer, I have an odd aversion to it for some reason. Do you have a particular brand of moisturizer you would recommend?

I have always found the OCM intriguing, but until recently, I've had no interest in trying it. I think it may be all smoke in mirrors but I do find the process cathartic. I only hope it's not further contributing to my skin issues.

Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/07/2013 10:53 pm

Spironolactone's action on testosterone when it is already low (late in the day) can mess up your sleep cycle. It also slightly stimulates cortisol, which is also related to your sleep cycle. Cortisol is naturally high in the morning to mid-afternoon, so taking spiro then works with your body. Stimulating cortisol later in the day when your body is trying to lower it is not a good idea.

I use the CeraVe line because it is exceptionally well-formulated. I would venture to say it has the highest quality / most scientific formulation of any brand you can find at a normal drugstore. It actually used to be prescription only because of their unique use of ceramides and such for skin repair. Their cleansers maintain the skin's delicate pH level, and their moisturizers contain the right kind of humectants.

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is very gentle and is a go-to. If you need to remove makeup, then I would use the CeraVe Foaming Cleanser instead.

They have a CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion which is very light and soaks in well, though if you want more moisturizing power they also have a CeraVe Moisturizing Cream or the CeraVe PM--both are great for nighttime skin repair.

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 10/08/2013 1:02 am

I personally agree about the Aczone. My skin is pretty tolerant to acne medications, and Aczone seems really mild.

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 11/14/2013 1:24 pm

Okay so since I last posted, my routine has changed entirely. I now follow these steps:

Rinse face with water.

Occasionally use aqua glycolic toner.

Moisturize with CerVe AM facial lotion.

Continue with makeup routine.

*Night time:*

Wash off makeup with CerVe gentle cleanser.

Put aqua glycolic cleanser onto dry skin and leave on for at least 15 mins if not over night.

Rub on emerita progesterone cream on arms and stomach.

In addition to these steps, I am currently taking 100mg of Spironolactone daily.

I thought this routine was working quite well but unfortunately my dermatologist seems to think otherwise. When I went to see him today he commented on all the bumps I have and said that I am still very broken out. Yikes! So he prescribed me differin. Since my last experience with tazorac (really messed up my skin, unbearable IB and peeling) I am really scared to try this. I am going to start slow and hope for the best, I just don't want to end up with a wrecked face for the holidays.

Keep fighting the good fight!