Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest KeepCalm

How do your parents make you feel?

Guest Captain Chaos

Hi folks

I was just wondering if anyones parents make them feel worse about their acne? My parents don't really seem to understand why I'm so bothered about it. My dad offered to pay for me to see a derm but I'm not going to go as it's clearing up lately..

So for me my parents tend to make me feel worse about it, thankfully I don't live with them lol. But when I do talk to them they get me annoyed if it comes up in conversation.

Please share your experiences....

So if they don't think it's a big deal... that makes you feel worse? explain the logic, I don't get it...

Guest Captain Chaos

Because they don't understand, get it?

They understand that acne doesn't make a damn difference. You want them to feel sorry for you, but they refuse to do it and pretend like you don't have acne, because to them, it's not a big deal. They're helping you, because they're good parents. Would you like them to say: "you have acne, therefore you're ugly and should not go outside until the derm fixes it?" They're not gonna say that.

When I was in school, I complained to my dad cause I didn't have a lot of girlfriends and I told him it's because I have acne. He was like: "no it's not; when I was your age I got laid all the time and my acne was worse than yours." For a little while it did make me feel worse, but then I understood that acne is not the problem at all - it's my attitude. If my dad hadn't have said that, I would still think that acne is to blame.

Imagine if you were retarded. Would you want your parents saying to you: "you can do anything you want! the world is yours!" or "you're retarded, never forget that, and you suck at everything."

but wait a minute dude, you're like 20 right? so why do you give a fuck about what your parents think? I'm 19 and if I decide to go on accutane for example, my parents probably will never know, just cause it's not their business.

Guest Captain Chaos

Yes I see your point you are trying to make but it doesnt really address the point I was making that 'they don't understand' is the point which you seem to have overlooked..

I'm not asking them to feel sorry for me, I'm not asking for anything, I'm stating a simple fact that they never made me feel any better about it.

I started this thread so people could share their experiences, not so you could nit pick my post and try and make me look like an idiot...

So please desist..

Captain Chaos (think your name's Ben? razz.gif )

I sincerely do think your acne's perfectly under control..you really don't need a derm. Your skin looks so good.I'm gettin jealous!! lol.gif Be really contented (tell your dad that).

Yea my dad who hasn't seen me since my breakout in June (my parents are divorced so I only see him a few times a year) saw me recently and chided me,"must be eating too much junk food right?"

AS IF..

And my mum, keeps saying, "if only you didn't put that gunk loads of makeup on your face everyday back then.." as it might have started the severe breakout I guess.

But I couldn't face the world without a perfectly covered-up face. It was like a mask I couldn't live without. though I hated it. Without makeup, I felt so ugly.

Does anyone understand..? cry.gif nahh.

It's always "yOUR FAuLT tHAT yOU GOT ACnE..!","I TOLD yOU SO!!","WhO AskED YoU NOT to LISTen tO Me??"

sigh. It's also the bad genes too? Did our parents think of that?

eusa_wall.gif

Guest Captain Chaos
Captain Chaos (think your name's Ben?  razz.gif )

I sincerely do think your acne's perfectly under control..you really don't need a derm. Your skin looks so good.I'm gettin jealous!!  lol.gif  Be really contented (tell your dad that).

Yea my dad who hasn't seen me since my breakout in June (my parents are divorced so I only see him a few times a year) saw me recently and chided me,"must be eating too much junk food right?"

AS IF..

And my mum, keeps saying, "if only you didn't put that gunk loads of makeup on your face everyday back then.." as it might have started the severe breakout I guess.

But I couldn't face the world without a perfectly covered-up face. It was like a mask I couldn't live without. though I hated it. Without makeup, I felt so ugly.

Does anyone understand..?  cry.gif nahh.

It's always "yOUR FAuLT tHAT yOU GOT ACnE..!","I TOLD yOU SO!!","WhO AskED YoU NOT to LISTen tO Me??"

sigh. It's also the bad genes too? Did our parents think of that?

eusa_wall.gif

my parents never said anything to me about my acne, I cought my mom talking about it to her freinds once though, I blew up, took her keys and left her ass at a frends house,

I understand what you mean about your parents not doing anything to make you feel better when its so obvious that it bothers you a great deal, mine were kinda like that,

Teplo did make a piont though, about your parents might not want you to think about your acne as much, so they kinda ignore the fact that it bothers you.

I dont know whether thats a right way or a wrong way of doing things

And Teplo, damn dude, learn some tact, thats exactly why you still dont get laid

hey ben,

why did you stop the regimen..?

well my parents had fabulously dewy poreless porcelain skin at my age, but they did have a bad severe-acne breakout that lasted a year when they were in their 20s,which cleared up by itself and there were NO SCARS at all even though they squeezed and prodded at the cysts.

Hmmmmz. Perhaps that's a reason to gloat at my misfortune. lol.gif

drover: my mum's always discussing my skin and my crazy obsessions over it with my aunts and grandma. I just shut off and do not want to hear ANYTHING they're laughing about. To forgive is divine. eusa_pray.gif

Jeanie: Truth,

but I guess what realy bothered me was that i did not even know the people she was talking to, I guess that should have actualy made it not as emberrassing, but it did'nt

oh..it's like, why does she want to broadcast the fact that she's got a pimply kid to the whole wide world? Does it glorify her? Maybe it pleases her to put her kid down?

Ya I see your case. eusa_doh.gif cheer up. one thing you can be sure of, no one will laugh at you here. wub.gif

Aaww, your sweet, wub.gif

I dont think she realy wanted to glorify herself or put me down, I think the subject just came up and she did'nt realize they were talking loud enough for me to hear. that was like 4 yrs ago, we used to laugh about it biggrin.gif

gee, thanks drover. wub.gif

my mum would do that though. Put me down. It's a humility issue. eusa_wall.gif eg: Aunt: "hey she's getting really pretty." Mum:"NAH she's not. Her skin's yucky. Sheesh!! And she's this that this that da da da. " lol.gif + evil.gif

4 yrs is a long time, glad that you're over it. hope your skin is okay now.. smile.gif

That is so wrong taking away a compliment that somone gave you shock.gif

eusa_think.gif I think I would go to your aunt in this case and just ask her to head your mom off next time she is about to say somthing derogatory.

Im almost 22 and whenever i complain to my dad about my skin, he just goes you look fine, stopp worrying or everyone gets a few spots its part of growing up. I am flipping grown up.

My dad does not understand at all, he goes drinking all the teas in the world will not clear u of spots. If he had his way i wouldn`t be on my pills on anything.

I'm not sure drnking alot of tea is such a good thing, its a diaheretic (yea I dont think thats how its spelled) anywy, if you drink lots of teas, I would be sure you drink even more water. just want somone told me once.

I'm almost 22 as well, yea I'm grown in the sence that I'm on my own and such, but phisicaly still look like a teenager, I guess what I'm saying is 22 is still pretty young. cool.gif

Yeah it sucks. While I lived at home (until coming to grad school) my parents didn't even want me to see a derm and kept telling me I'd grow out of it because my brother did. I'm now in my 3rd year of grad school and I finally got the sense in me to go see a derm mostly because I saw what great results Accutane did for my cousin.

My parents totally downplayed it and although I can see that was their opinion (they're all into natural treatments, etc.) I think it costed me a lot of scars.

Yes I see your point you are trying to make but it doesnt really address the point I was making that 'they don't understand' is the point which you seem to have overlooked..

I'm not asking them to feel sorry for me, I'm not asking for anything, I'm stating a simple fact that they never made me feel any better about it.

my parents don't really make me feel bad. they just pester me. especially my dad. he's always telling me i need to go back to the derm and blah blah blah. and i'm like dude, my face is almost clear. give me an f-ing break. so, finally one day, he was bother be, so i finally just said "DAD I'M ABOUT TO START MY PERIOD! I ALWAYS BREAK OUT AROUND MY PERIOD! IT'S HORMONAL! I CAN'T HELP IT! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

he's never bothered me about it since.

If my parents mention acne to me I feel worse. Neither of them had bad acne as teenagers and I feel like they don't understand that I am doing my best to treat it (and it's WORKING) and that I feel tons better about it if no one notices.

So i felt really good the other day when I came to realize that my sisters don't even know that I have mild acne on my cheeks. They know I had bad acne on my forehead a couple of years ago, but it made me feel better that they don't have "my older sister has pimples" in their heads. When they start getting pimples I am going to help them with everything I've learned and I think they'll take it better from me than our rents. I like keeping it personal. I don't ever bring it up to someone unless they say it first, then I'll make recomendations. I never bring it up to someone because I hate it when people do that to me.

my mom has made my acne treatments alot easier cus she has paid for all the pills creams doctors appointments and have reminded me to take my pills if i forgot...im just waiting till footballs over so i can get a job and help pay her back even though she doesnt want me too... i have some friends that also have acne and there parents make them pay for everything if they want to go to derm. so i am very grateful my mom has done all this for me