Notifications
Clear all

Question About Gluten Being A Possible Cause To Cystic Acne

MemberMember
(@humandart)

Posted : 10/04/2013 5:31 am

Hi. I had bad cystic acne on neck and jawline on and off since may last year. I'm 24 now by the way. It would be really bad, then go away, then come back really bad. But earlier this year it was getting even worse. So in about may, I stopped eating dairy, it definitely helped. But then in july time I stopped eating gluten and it got so much better. But recently it's got a bit bad again.

My question is, if gluten was a cause, would I suffer from any other symptoms of gluten intolerance? I've never actually had any other symptoms of gluten intolerance. So maybe the cause was high gi foods? And by cutting out gluten it cut out some high gi foods?

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/04/2013 7:11 am

It sound like a reaction to a food intolerance to me. And it could be to anything. You have to avoid things methodically to determine the cause. Removing other inflammatory foods lie gluten might have just reduced the degree of the reaction and allowed cysts to heal faster.

That said, gluten, dairy, & high glycemic foods/meals aren't good for any one and shouldn't be big parts of any diet..

MemberMember
(@humandart)

Posted : 10/04/2013 8:27 am

Yeah it was pretty much fine from quitting gluten until a few days ago. Not sure what's brought it back

If it was a gluten intolerance, then surely I'd feel the other symptoms?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/04/2013 9:50 am

Celiacs feel other symptoms. But if you just have a sensitivity, you might not. I don't get any symptoms other than some inflammatory chest/face acne.

It's possible that the wheat is causing an immune reaction that results in damage to tissues, and this damage in turn is leading to a 'leaky gut' situation, where other foods might also break you out to a lesser degree.

MemberMember
(@humandart)

Posted : 10/04/2013 10:33 am

Yeah I guess so. Mine is just on my neck, sometimes jawline but not so much. It always seems to be just the left side of my neck too.

Celiacs feel other symptoms. But if you just have a sensitivity, you might not. I don't get any symptoms other than some inflammatory chest/face acne.

It's possible that the wheat is causing an immune reaction that results in damage to tissues, and this damage in turn is leading to a 'leaky gut' situation, where other foods might also break you out to a lesser degree.

MemberMember
(@jordanmarcsully)

Posted : 10/05/2013 7:55 am

Start an elimination diet to identify problem foods. You could be surprised of the food that actually causes the breakout, such as, an item of fruit or vegetable.

Regarding Gluten, I have also experienced great success staying gluten free. I cut out bread in particular, and whenever I introduce it back into my diet I breakout. I actually respond worse to wheat than the gluten itself. Wheat could be your issue.

MemberMember
(@humandart)

Posted : 10/13/2013 1:44 pm

could be something else. it's come back a bit over the past few days and i haven't changed anything in my diet from when it was ok.