Help!

MemberMember
(@woanchii0512)

Posted : 10/03/2013 3:54 am

Hello everyone, just a little background of my skin. I took accutane when I was 15-16. A year of low dose at 10mg per day ( I weigh 42kg ). My skin remained clear until I was 18. Although my skin wasnt that clear,I still only have the occasional one or two cystic acne, nothing severe but my derm insist that i go on accutane again for another 5 months. My face was perfect for the 5 months. 20mg per day for the first month and then 10mg per day. After coming off of accutane this time, my skin went haywire lol. First it became very red and dry ,then it turned bumpy. My skin would literally tear upon touch wth. My skin would also turn extremely red after cardio, something i've never experienced and freaked me out.White heads turn into blisters with pus lol. It took a huge toll on my self esteem. My friends who saw me with clear skin started asking me what's wrong with my skin, what happened to my skin. Did I use something wrong etc but I seriously don't know how to answer them. Here are a few pictures of my skin now, uneven, red, bumpy. I have alot of tiny bumps under my skin which I presume are whiteheads? I really don't know what products to use now and what to do to help get rid of these problems, advice would be much much appreciated. post-219893-0-29724100-1380789661.jpgpost-219893-0-61643500-1380790106.jpgpost-219893-0-87547300-1380790164.jpg I really miss my clear skin :(

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 10/03/2013 8:15 am

You're really pretty! :)

Yeah, they look mostly like white heads. Pretty minor so that's good! What products are you using now?

I'd recommend exfoliating. AHA is a chemical exfoliater that works really well. You can mix a little it in to your moisturizer and as you get used to it you can add some more. I used to use it before I went to accutane and it really helped my complexion. Now, I exfoliate very gently with a clean, wet washcloth that has cleanser on it. Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) should help clear you up as well. If you want to go the more natural route, there's tea tree oil, green tea with sea salt, sulfur, etc.

Your second course of accutane seemed rather short, considering your low dose. You might not have reached your optimal dose in time. For your weight, your dose should have been, 125 x 46 = 5250mg. And you only went to 1800mg during your second course. So you should have been on accutane a lot longer, unless I am doing my calculations wrong.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/03/2013 5:00 pm

Definitely try either salicylic or glycolic acid wash for exfoliation. I would not return to accutane; instead, you could ask your derm for a retinoid. If you have sensitive skin, start with 0.1% adapalene. If you think you need something stronger, try 0.1% tretinoin. Your skin looks exactly like mine. I've been searching for a solution for some time, and the tretinoin (which I've now been on for about 6 weeks) is finally starting to work. It takes time to see any improvement, though, and I've been through periods where my skin would get better and then worse and then better again.

MemberMember
(@woanchii0512)

Posted : 10/08/2013 10:51 pm

You're really pretty! :)

Yeah, they look mostly like white heads. Pretty minor so that's good! What products are you using now?

I'd recommend exfoliating. AHA is a chemical exfoliater that works really well. You can mix a little it in to your moisturizer and as you get used to it you can add some more. I used to use it before I went to accutane and it really helped my complexion. Now, I exfoliate very gently with a clean, wet washcloth that has cleanser on it. Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) should help clear you up as well. If you want to go the more natural route, there's tea tree oil, green tea with sea salt, sulfur, etc.

Your second course of accutane seemed rather short, considering your low dose. You might not have reached your optimal dose in time. For your weight, your dose should have been, 125 x 46 = 5250mg. And you only went to 1800mg during your second course. So you should have been on accutane a lot longer, unless I am doing my calculations wrong.

thank you ! I'm currently using cetaphil's gentle cleanser because my skin is very sensitive and fragile! It turns red and gets more bumpy when try to use moisturisers too so I stopped using any. I tried tea tree oil but it didn't do anything for my face. I started using fucidic acid cream and it heals my pimples really fast. I'm really afraid to use exfoliators because of my sensitive skin! Is it for sensitive skin?actually I don't know how to count and I didn't know that there were different dosages for different kgs. Was a year of 10mg for my weight ( 42kgs ) at that time too much? My skin was still oily after that year. It wasn't until my second course of accutane that my skin changed to red, sensitive and filled with whiteheads.

Definitely try either salicylic or glycolic acid wash for exfoliation. I would not return to accutane; instead, you could ask your derm for a retinoid. If you have sensitive skin, start with 0.1% adapalene. If you think you need something stronger, try 0.1% tretinoin. Your skin looks exactly like mine. I've been searching for a solution for some time, and the tretinoin (which I've now been on for about 6 weeks) is finally starting to work. It takes time to see any improvement, though, and I've been through periods where my skin would get better and then worse and then better again.

is your skin sensitive too? How is it now? Really tempted to try exfoliating but worried that it might make my skin red!

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/09/2013 1:12 am

My skin is somewhat sensitive; I've gotten contact dermatitis from topical treatments in the past. It's better now, but I'm not clear yet. I recently had a breakout (from oil cleansing, stupid me) that I'm getting over now.

Tretinoin will make your skin red (most likely). It made my skin red for the first 3-4 weeks. Salicylic acid, on the other hand, doesn't make my skin red at all, and in fact soothes it.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 10/09/2013 7:32 pm

You're really pretty! smile.png

thank you ! I'm currently using cetaphil's gentle cleanser because my skin is very sensitive and fragile! It turns red and gets more bumpy when try to use moisturisers too so I stopped using any. I tried tea tree oil but it didn't do anything for my face. I started using fucidic acid cream and it heals my pimples really fast. I'm really afraid to use exfoliators because of my sensitive skin! Is it for sensitive skin?actually I don't know how to count and I didn't know that there were different dosages for different kgs. Was a year of 10mg for my weight ( 42kgs ) at that time too much? My skin was still oily after that year. It wasn't until my second course of accutane that my skin changed to red, sensitive and filled with whiteheads.

Oh I just realized I made a typo in my first post! It should have read 42 not 46. Still works out to 5250.

A year of 10mg would have been equal to 3600mg cumulative dosage, which is still significantly less than 5250mg. I guess you should have been on accutane for longer than a year. 10 mg is a very low dose. Though, maybe low dose accutane is not supposed to reach the recommended 125-150mg/kg cumulative dosage? I just figured low dose accutane would be similiar to regular dose, just more drawn out.

I totally understand about being hesitant about exfoliating when you have sensitive skin. You can try looking for a low % AHA and start with just a little and work your way up. Also, I use a gentle washcloth with some cleanser to exfoliate and I do it gently, not roughly. This might help!

I hope you find something that works for you soon. :)

MemberMember
(@vleigh2507)

Posted : 11/22/2013 12:13 am

Please don't consider any exfoliation at this moment. Your skin is too fragile. Any chemicals could cause more harm than good. I would honestly go back to the doctor and ask him/her their opinion and see what they say. Your dose seems very low. I was prescribed an antibiotic which was very effective where it wasn't before roaccutane. Be careful what you put on the skin as skin thickening will happen slowly and your skin may not tolerate it at present so quickly after the treatment!