Notifications
Clear all

New Cleanser Or Start Exfoliating?

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 10/02/2013 6:58 pm

Hey guys, I'm 16 and I just recently stopped using differin after two years of a red face. I don't want to jinx it, but my face is going well so far. I've also been using Cetaphil gentle cleanser for about two years also and I'm not really convinced it cleans well. Maybe I'm over exaggerating because I have two nearly invisible blackheads that I'm scared will turn into pimples (because I know they will). Whenever I'm washing my face after a shower, if i use my hands to try and exfoliate gently, some sort of pasty dead skin layer starts rubbing off? This only occurs around my chin and cheeks. Anyway, my question is does anyone know of any better cleansers (I'm in Australia) that I could use instead of cetaphil? And should I start exfoliating? If so, which exfoliator? Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: The moisturiser I use is Dove Essential Nutrients SPF 15, if that may be needed as information?

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 10/04/2013 9:44 am

bump

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 10/04/2013 2:50 pm

You can use your favourite cleanser and use one of those silicone exfoliaton pads. I like the avene cleanance cleanser. For exfoliation, I really love the Paula's Choice BHA gel on a regular basis.

( Btw awesome avatar. Impressed that people your age like Lemmy. My hubby is 35 and visiting every gig here, but he is one of the youngsters :) )

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/04/2013 5:30 pm

You can add sugar or sea salt to a dollop of your cleanser to make your own exfoliator. They will often do this in spas if you get an exfoliating facial. It works quite well while still being gentle.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 10/04/2013 7:44 pm

Should I buy an exfoliator? If so, which one? And can anyone recommend a better cleanser because I don't think cetaphil is deeply cleansing my face :/ And is my moisturiser okay? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just scared about a breakout now that I've stopped differin :(

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 10/04/2013 10:56 pm

Try looking into the Botani acne range. I'm in Australia too and I'm pretty sure they do a 'natural' exfoliator. You can get most of the stuff from Priceline.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 10/05/2013 2:19 am

Going to use the olive oil + sugar recipe as an exfoliant. Anyone know if this is good?

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 10/05/2013 7:28 am

I once tried that for a while and it totally clogged my pores and caused me tons of closed comedones.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 10/06/2013 6:15 pm

Alright well I used the exfoliator 2 nights ago and I quite like it :) Seeing as I go back to school tomorrow, should I use it again tonight and that can be my 2 times exfoliating done for the week? Just so my face can feel a bit more clean. If not, when should I exfoliate? What days?

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 10/06/2013 11:50 pm

anyone?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 11/01/2013 5:54 pm

anyone?

Hi Estranged! I just came across this forum, but I'll try and help you out. (:

Skin needs time to heal itself, so if you exfoliate twice a week it would be wise to exfoliate on mondays and thursdays. This way, your skin will have a few days in between to strengthen. Skin can become more sensitive with acne, so over exfoliating can aggravate the skin.

How is your skin doing? Have you kept up the exfoliator routine? (since my reply is a bit late.)

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 11/19/2013 9:05 pm

It's doing good! I really need a better cleanser and moisturiser with SPF though, cetaphil isn't the most best feeling face cleaner :/ If anyone could recommend a cleanser and moisturiser that'd be great!