Notifications
Clear all

Back To Square One

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 10/02/2013 2:54 pm

didn't think i was going to have to post in this section againsad.png i've been on roaccutane (30mg per day) for just under two months and got back from my first follow-up appointment with my dermatologist a few hours ago... i had thought that my skin had improved slightly, i mean it still looks pretty bad but i think some of the redness is from marks left by old spots. but he took one look at my face and said "that's not a good improvement at all" and i swear to god he might as well have just slapped me in the face.

i started crying right there and then - quite embarrassingblush.png i tend to do this at pretty much every appointment i've had about my skin though just because talking about it is a reminder and a confirmation of the fact i have acne, i try to stop myself but if you're gonna cry then you're gonna cry, does anyone else do this?

but anyway, i would think that an individual knows their own skin better than anyone else so do you think he could have just interpreted the marks as active spots? just need some reassurance or advice because i've gone from feeling the best i've felt in ages to right back to square one. even if it hasn't really improved, i thought this was ok seeing as i'm not even two months in but he seemed to think my skin should be a lot better so i'm just really worried right now.

i'm also concerned about the fact he decided to up my dosage to 50mg, i mean initially i wanted to go as high as possible but is it likely i'm going to get another initial breakout now from the raise because i'm going to find it hard to deal with :( i asked him but he just vaguely said he didn't think so as i'm already on the drug.. another reason i'm concerned about this increase is that he's arranged for me to see him again in a months time and by this point i could be in the middle of my initial breakout and as he doesn't seem to think this will happen won't he just assume i'm not improving again?

i know some of these questions aren't really answerable, it was just somewhere to let all this out really.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 10/02/2013 3:03 pm

I wouldnt be worried at all. You probably just needed a increase in the dose to get things going faster. Its not that 30 wouldnt have probably cleared you it would just take a lot longer. I havent really ever heard of someone not clearing all the way up on Accutane as long as they took the whole course and Im sure your not going to be the first. Im on month 3 myself. My first two months were 40mg then I got bumped up to 40 / 80 every other day similar to you. The process just takes a while.

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 10/02/2013 4:06 pm

I wouldnt be worried at all. You probably just needed a increase in the dose to get things going faster. Its not that 30 wouldnt have probably cleared you it would just take a lot longer. I havent really ever heard of someone not clearing all the way up on Accutane as long as they took the whole course and Im sure your not going to be the first. Im on month 3 myself. My first two months were 40mg then I got bumped up to 40 / 80 every other day similar to you. The process just takes a while.

i am glad about the fact hopefully my progress will come along faster now, it's just disheartening to hear it doesn't look any better when i thought it did :( i always find it really hard to tell on my own skin though to be honest.

i hope not, i have constant niggling thoughts in the back of my mind and me being in the 10% or whatever it is that it doesn't work for is one of them. i think i get myself in these sorts of states really by letting my mind take over.

did you get an initial breakout with either dosages? i had a massively painful one when i first started so i'm hoping this increase won't give me another one as i'm already in a ridiculously emotional state haha. thanks for your reassurance and good luck with the rest of your course :)

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 10/02/2013 6:44 pm

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in his reaction even though he is a dr. If you think your face is doing better and you feel good about it than it is doing better, especially since we're all our own harshest critics and tend to obsess over it. Two months is not that long to be on it so I wouldn't worry just yet and since you've made it this far you might as well stay the course (provided the side effects and blood work remain normal) so good luck with the rest of your time on the drug, I think you're gonna be fine.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 10/03/2013 11:38 am

i am glad about the fact hopefully my progress will come along faster now, it's just disheartening to hear it doesn't look any better when i thought it did sad.png i always find it really hard to tell on my own skin though to be honest.

i hope not, i have constant niggling thoughts in the back of my mind and me being in the 10% or whatever it is that it doesn't work for is one of them. i think i get myself in these sorts of states really by letting my mind take over.

did you get an initial breakout with either dosages? i had a massively painful one when i first started so i'm hoping this increase won't give me another one as i'm already in a ridiculously emotional state haha. thanks for your reassurance and good luck with the rest of your course smile.png

Remember the 10 percent youre talking about clears up it just doesnt stay in remission forever. I had a initial breakout when I started 40mg and didnt start clearing up real good until month 3.

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 10/03/2013 2:12 pm

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in his reaction even though he is a dr. If you think your face is doing better and you feel good about it than it is doing better, especially since we're all our own harshest critics and tend to obsess over it. Two months is not that long to be on it so I wouldn't worry just yet and since you've made it this far you might as well stay the course (provided the side effects and blood work remain normal) so good luck with the rest of your time on the drug, I think you're gonna be fine.

yeah you're right, need to man uplol.gif i overthink everything too much.

i'm definitely going to, to be honest i wouldn't even care if i grew two heads as long as the skin on both of them was clear. thank you for the reassurance.

i am glad about the fact hopefully my progress will come along faster now, it's just disheartening to hear it doesn't look any better when i thought it did sad.png i always find it really hard to tell on my own skin though to be honest.

did you get an initial breakout with either dosages? i had a massively painful one when i first started so i'm hoping this increase won't give me another one as i'm already in a ridiculously emotional state haha. thanks for your reassurance and good luck with the rest of your course smile.png

Remember the 10 percent youre talking about clears up it just doesnt stay in remission forever. I had a initial breakout when I started 40mg and didnt start clearing up real good until month 3.

wait what so what's the percentage of people it has no effect on? that's what i was thinking the 10% was. ahhh ok, well my skin purged a lot of shit on my first initial breakout so hopefully that will prevent a second one anyway.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 10/03/2013 6:11 pm

I think some derms/docs are jerks and don't really care for people. I've heard some say that they view acne as the mildest 'skin' problem out there, so maybe it bores him or something, Idk. I've met some pretty crap doctors who really don't give any about their patients and just prescribe people drugs to get them out of the office. But anyway, like the above posters said, it's only been 2 months! I've never been on Accutane myself, but I've never heard of anyone finding complete success in such short a time, so don't worry! Sometimes I think my acne gets worse when I'm depressed about it, haha, so I just try to be happy about other things instead, and while I'm distracted, whatever breakout I'm obsessed over slowly goes away.

Good luck with your Accutane journey. :)

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 10/05/2013 6:40 am

I think some derms/docs are jerks and don't really care for people. I've heard some say that they view acne as the mildest 'skin' problem out there, so maybe it bores him or something, Idk. I've met some pretty crap doctors who really don't give any about their patients and just prescribe people drugs to get them out of the office. But anyway, like the above posters said, it's only been 2 months! I've never been on Accutane myself, but I've never heard of anyone finding complete success in such short a time, so don't worry! Sometimes I think my acne gets worse when I'm depressed about it, haha, so I just try to be happy about other things instead, and while I'm distracted, whatever breakout I'm obsessed over slowly goes away.

Good luck with your Accutane journey. smile.png

yeah i think that's true, i'd hate to be stuck with one that just disregards you and doesn't care about treating it properly - i don't think mine's that bad, i mean he does seem to recognise that it's a serious problem and he did look like he felt guilty when i had my breakdown haha but he probably is bored. he's kind of old so i'm guessing he's seen a lot of this sort of thing and worse and i doubt he enjoys my psychological problems as well as the state of my face being thrust upon him every month.

that's what i'd been thinking, it just kind of threw me a bit when he seemed to think i should already have significant improvement. i was tempted to start spouting off information from all the logs and stuff i've read on here and how most people don't see great results just yet but i'd have felt rude so i just stayed shut. i'm just concerned now that he might still see no improvement next month and assume it's not working and decide to take me off itunsure.png but anyway thanks for the help!

MemberMember
(@anthony22)

Posted : 10/07/2013 5:02 pm

Your dermatologist defintley could have worded what he said to you better! Around the second month of my time on accutane, my dermatologist upped the dosage. They usually up the dosage after checking your the results of your blood test from your first stages with accutane.I wouldn't worry too much though, in a month or so, the dermatologist will have a lot more positive things to say!

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 10/09/2013 11:18 am

Your dermatologist defintley could have worded what he said to you better! Around the second month of my time on accutane, my dermatologist upped the dosage. They usually up the dosage after checking your the results of your blood test from your first stages with accutane.I wouldn't worry too much though, in a month or so, the dermatologist will have a lot more positive things to say!

haha i agree! did you get any initial breakouts either at the beginning or when your dosage was upped? i kind of presumed i was going to get another one because i've seen a lot of people on here saying to expect one but then when i've been asking around people were saying they didn't and i haven't noticed anything yet so fingers crossed... biggrin.png thanks, i really hope so because i need to hear it and he needs to be convinced it's working!

MemberMember
(@anthony22)

Posted : 10/09/2013 4:25 pm

haha i agree! did you get any initial breakouts either at the beginning or when your dosage was upped? i kind of presumed i was going to get another one because i've seen a lot of people on here saying to expect one but then when i've been asking around people were saying they didn't and i haven't noticed anything yet so fingers crossed... biggrin.png thanks, i really hope so because i need to hear it and he needs to be convinced it's working!

When I started on Accutane on a lower dose I didn't really experience any breakouts, but when my dermatologist upped the dosage, I started breaking out. It thankfully didn't last very long though, after two weeks it was back to normal. But as we all different, we don't really know just how people will react to Accutane initially. But people who I know who did have the dosage upped, did see better results the next time they saw the dermatologist.