Notifications
Clear all

Help Me Please!

MemberMember
(@inspiredplay)

Posted : 10/01/2013 11:33 pm

Background: Male. I have body acne (mainly back, but chest also). Had facial acne when I was 13-15, but that cleared up for the most part. Most of my facial acne is pretty minor now.

I have been doing a bunch of research the past few weeks about changing my diet and whatnot to improve my acne. I can't afford a dermatologist, so I have to try doing this on my own. I have always been a healthy eater, but I really wanted to step it up to help clear my acne. I started my "diet" roughly a week ago, and today my back and chest are worse than they've been in (probably) 6+ months. I wanted to see what you guys had to say about my diet, because I'm really disappointed. Here's everything I eat, all the supplements I take, etc.:

*I buy mostly everything from whole foods. I'm a college student, but I am really trying to make this work

-Lentils (ate those last week, probably not going to eat anymore)

-Sweet potatoes (started eating 1 a day yesterday)

-chicken

-Ground beef

-Quinoa (mixed with ground beef and organic tomato sauce)

-Salad (with organic ceasar dressing)

-natural peanut butter

-rice bread (cutting out wheat, but I still need my peanut butter sandwiches for weight lifting)

-celery (late night snack with peanut butter)

-apples (last week, organic ones are pretty expensive, though)

-oatmeal (put rolled oats in boiled water)

-raisins (added to oatmeal)

supplements:

-Universal Nutrition Real Gains whey protein

-fish oil

-vitamin D3 pills (5000 IU/day)

-creatine monohydrate (for weight lifting)

-catalyn

I also had some japanese food, alcohol, and a milkshake last weekend. I like to treat myself once in a while, and it normally doesn't affect me that much. Not planning on eating japanese or a milkshake any time soon. Alcohol probably won't change, though.

I exercise regularly (weights, running, etc.), but I always shower afterwards. I use face wash for both my face and body because it is more gentle on the skin. I sleep shirtless and wash my sheets every week. Please help me. I'm pretty distraught because I was expecting my skin to be better instead of worse.

Because of my weight lifting I have to eat a lot, hence the peanut butter sandwiches (great source of protein, calories). I also drink A LOT of water for my acne, migraine protection, and because of the creatine.

Heck, I've even stopped picking (95% of it, at least), which was a ritual for me in the shower.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm feeling kinda helpless right now.

MemberMember
(@inspiredplay)

Posted : 10/02/2013 10:50 am

I also use a lot of organic olive oil, for what that's worth.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/02/2013 2:51 pm

Have you ever tried avoiding the peanuts to test for allergy, which is extremely common. Peanuts, like gluten & soy, also contain lectins that damage the digestive tract.

Do you have digestive issues?

And there's plenty you can do with nut butters besides spread them on bread. Spread them on apples, make nut butter banana pancakes, make dried fruit, nut, seed, oat bars, etc.

MemberMember
(@inspiredplay)

Posted : 10/02/2013 4:40 pm

I don't think I'm allergic to peanuts. I've eaten a lot of peanuts (butter and shelled).

I also don't think I have any digestive issues. Nothing out of the ordinary, if that's what you're asking.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/02/2013 8:26 pm

It's hard to tell what you are doing "wrong" because it varies according to individual cases. It could be the exercise that is raising your testosterone (regardless of whether you wash your face afterwards - which is good, but won't prevent your androgens from rising). It could be that you don', t tolerate nuts that well. It could be the olive oil, or the whey and creatine. Have you tried cutting back on peanut butter and some supplements?

MemberMember
(@inspiredplay)

Posted : 10/02/2013 11:41 pm

I haven't really tried cutting back on much of anything. The whey protein I have is a "gainer", so it's got a lot of different stuff in it. I'm thinking about going with just pure unflavored whey.

How can I find out if I have any allergies to things like peanuts?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/02/2013 11:44 pm

Just search whey protein and acne on these boards.

Also search body building.

So many have this same dilemma, acne and weight-lifting and everything that goes with weight-lifting.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/04/2013 2:21 pm

I haven't really tried cutting back on much of anything. The whey protein I have is a "gainer", so it's got a lot of different stuff in it. I'm thinking about going with just pure unflavored whey.

How can I find out if I have any allergies to things like peanuts?

By avoiding them and seeing if you get better.