Notifications
Clear all

Bb Creams

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 09/30/2013 6:29 pm

What's the deal with BB cream? I know a lot of acne-prone people like to use that instead of just regular liquid foundation 'cause it's more nourishing for the skin...but does it really help? And I feel like BB creams aren't as long lasting as liquid foundation (I usually have really long days). But I've just been if they're worth looking into. Any brand suggestions?

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 09/30/2013 8:28 pm

I started using Nivea's BB cream about a year ago and much prefer it to foundation. It feels a lot less thick and greasy and I've found that I only have to apply a minimal amount to have decent coverage so it lets my skin breathe. I wouldn't say they actively help to clear any spots up or anything but as it's technically tinted moisturiser it's a lot better for your skin and will probably help in the long run. I don't have to touch mine up all day when I wear it either.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/01/2013 11:51 pm

Most BB creams are just tinted moisturizers. A tinted moisturizer is basically diluting foundation with moisturizer. You can make your own tinted moisturizer by mixing face cream with a normal foundation.

Because the pigment is diluted, most BB creams only offer very light coverage. The range of shades is also very limited. They go with a one-size fits all, and have usually have only two or three shades, a "light/medium" shade and a "medium/dark shade". Again, light coverage only, does not cover a ruddy complexion or acne spots.

Some of the higher-end BB creams include antioxidants, retinol, or other ingredients you would normally find in a night repair cream.

Personally I don't see the point of applying all that during the day. Just use foundation during the day and apply a normal repair cream at night. If you really want some sort of repair ingredient during the day, just invest in a good serum and apply that under your makeup. It will be more effective anyway.

MemberMember
(@niftystranger)

Posted : 11/19/2013 7:25 pm

I really like Dr. Jart water fuse BB Cream (in the bluish tube.) It is gentle on my skin and gives nice, light coverage.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 11/28/2013 12:50 pm

I've been using Smashbox's BB cream and it has good coverage( for a BB cream) and it lasts most of the day. It has a dewy finish and since I have oily skin, I use translucent powder to mattify my face and I'm good to go. I only blot my face once or twice during the day and that's enough for me.

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 11/28/2013 12:56 pm

I sometimes use Maybelline BBCream with salicylic acid. It gives me a nice flawless complexion wirhoutlooking like wearing any make up. But my skin is clear, and I ave no clue how a BB cream could cover any acne, I never saw one with enough pigments in it to cover anything worse than a single really tiny baby pimple.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 11/30/2013 6:42 pm

What Calumma said... I've tried three BB creams (Shiseido, Maybeline and Almay with SPF) -- none of them would be good enough to cover actual pimples, and I found each quite heavy. I'm 35 and only now starting to be able to consider moisturizer (up until now, my face has been quite oily and adding anything liquid on top feels very heavy). I think BB cream is one of those things reserved for people who have a clear (or at least normal, i.e. average) complexion in the first place.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 12/02/2013 11:33 am

I've just started using a korean brand now called Missha M Perfect Cover, and am putting my Smashbox's one on the side. Smashbox is good, too, but since it's a bit too tan for me during the winter time, I put it aside.

As for Missha, I can't believe I would come accross such a great bb cream! Even if it's only my third day wearing it.

A really small amount (like very tiny small droplets!) of Missha can noticeably cover red marks and pimples on my whole face, whereas I would need a bigger amount for Smashbox to offer the same coverage. I was really dumbfounded! I guess because Smashbox has a more slippery texture, while Missha is more matte. Plus, for 50 ml I only paid 30$ whereas for 30 mL of Smashbox it cost me 50+ $!!!

As for the oil factor, I blotted midday and I must say I'm less oily with Missha.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/02/2013 3:23 pm

I've just started using a korean brand now called Missha M Perfect Cover, and am putting my Smashbox's one on the side. Smashbox is good, too, but since it's a bit too tan for me during the winter time, I put it aside.

As for Missha, I can't believe I would come accross such a great bb cream! Even if it's only my third day wearing it.

A really small amount (like very tiny small droplets!) of Missha can noticeably cover red marks and pimples on my whole face, whereas I would need a bigger amount for Smashbox to offer the same coverage. I was really dumbfounded! I guess because Smashbox has a more slippery texture, while Missha is more matte. Plus, for 50 ml I only paid 30$ whereas for 30 mL of Smashbox it cost me 50+ $!!!

As for the oil factor, I blotted midday and I must say I'm less oily with Missha.

I've heard good things about Missha but I'm surprised that it gives you good coverage! If you don't mind me asking, how's your complexion? Because I do feel like you have to have fairly good skin for BB creams to give you "good" coverage.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 12/03/2013 12:53 pm

I've heard good things about Missha but I'm surprised that it gives you good coverage! If you don't mind me asking, how's your complexion? Because I do feel like you have to have fairly good skin for BB creams to give you "good" coverage.

I have red post hyper pigmentation, some that have faded, are in the process of fading, and some relatively new, hence darker than others, as well as active cystic types of pimples.

Yes, the coverage isn't like a foundation, it is after all only a bb cream. But for a BB cream, it is quite camouflaging for such few amount of product. I'd say it conceals 50%. I guess I should say that it has a relatively "good" coverage... I haven't tried to build up the coverage yet.

The reason why I prefer this to Smashbox is because I don't need to wear as much product on my face, I don't like to pile on too much. Also, a lot of people's been saying that it has a dewy finish, but I find that it is less dewy then Smashbox's.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 12/03/2013 1:48 pm

Hi! :D I use Lioele's Beyond the Solution or Lioele's Triple the Solution. Neither of them break me out at all (despite having a couple ingredients at a 1-- 0= non comedogenic; 5=very comedogenic-- on the comedogenic scale). Beyond the Solution is cheaper than Triple the Solution, but Triple the Solution has more "good for your skin" ingredients and SPF. Both of them have FULL coverage, and are really amazing. They leave your skin dewy and fresh rather than caked in makeup. I apply them with a foundation brush usually, but they can also be applied with your fingers. They are buildable, too. The only bad thing about both of them is that they literally only come in one color. If you're fairly light-skinned, then they'll work for you because they almost transform to any variety of semi-pale skin. However, if you're dark-skinned, they'll end up making you look chalky or too light.

American BB creams are essentially tinted moisturizers and I wouldn't use them to try to cover any real blemishes. I tried Garnier's BB cream and I was really disappointed with the coverage. Lioele's BB creams are really great and they come in a pretty large sized pump dispenser bottle that lasts for a long time. You can only order it online-- there's a Lioele in Texas that ships to people in the US.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/03/2013 2:05 pm

Can someone explain to me why this is better than some moisturizer and say, some bare minerals foundation and bronzer?

Thanks,

B.B. Ignoramus

MemberMember
(@sanjoseroo)

Posted : 12/22/2013 4:43 pm

I have been using Clinique BB mainly because the tone most closely matches my skin color and it has 30 SPF. I add 2-3 drops of Visine Red Eye drops. I wait until the moisturizer has set (you can tell by blotting with a tissue, if nothing comes off it is pretty well set). Then I apply liquid foundation with sponge (Bobbi Brown), also with a drop or two of Visine Red Eye. I also let that set (dry) before the final secret weapon, which is the Bobbi Brown foundation stick to cover just the dark scar/pigmentation after the foundation so it can be blended in. Kind of like paint on a canvas. When this is set, I then dust with Clinique mineral power and the final touch is a Bobbi Brown press powered and Clinique bronzer (instead of blush). It sounds like it would take forever but I've mastered it down to 15 minutes every morning and dry my hair while the layers set. What I've noticed is that make-up changes color (just like paint) when it dries, so I see the best coverage by being patient and not rushing the process. My makeup lasts 6 hours and starts to break down by 8 hours so if I have evening plans, I have to completely remove it all and reapply. I'm trying to get to the point where I can just wear BB with light powered in spring/summer months--but that has only happened a handful of times in my life.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/23/2013 5:43 am

http://www.holikaholikausa.com/Makeup/Face/BB-Cream/Holika-Holika-Clearing-Petit-BB-SPF-30-PA.html

I like this BB cream personally. It gives me great coverage if I put an extra layer over the areas where my spots and hyperpigmentation are, and it looks so natural on. I think BB cream in general don't give that 'mask like' look and feel that foundations do.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/29/2013 7:25 am

I have been using lumene's CC cream for a while (available at drugstores like CVS) and it does a decent job of concealing redness and some bumps. I prefer CC creams to BB creams for the added benefits and to save time in the morning.

MemberMember
(@bessroy)

Posted : 01/20/2014 9:14 pm

I don't agree with excessive use of BB cream, I only do the most basic care, because I'm easy to sensitive skin

MemberMember
(@emmaecho)

Posted : 01/21/2014 9:35 am

I really like bobbi brown's bb cream. Lots of shades and good cover. I do need a bit of pressed powder to keep the shine at bay

MemberMember
(@rfd522)

Posted : 01/29/2014 3:55 pm

I currently use Garnier's BBCream. Its has pretty good coverage that's buildable and doesn't feel like my makeup is "caked" on. They have one that's for combination to oily skin which doesn't make my oily skin shiny. The only problem I have with it is that the only 2 colors they have is light/medium and medium/dark. Since its winter I'm lighter than the darker one and have a natural tan for the light one. I wish they have one right in the middle because now I'm in search for another :(

MemberMember
(@horanpretzels)

Posted : 02/15/2014 10:09 pm

I use the Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream for oily skin (the one in blue packaging NOT pink) and it contains salycilic acid in it. I find the coverage is light - light/medium and with a little bit of concealer over my acne, it's perfect for school. I look for products that give me a natural look as I'm not allowed makeup at school but I haven't been questioned when using this BB cream.

I feel like my skin can breathe while wearing it too which is a major plus!

To make it last that little bit longer, I always start with a moisturiser, even though the BB cream contains moisturiser and i finish of my face with a translucent powder which keeps any unwanted shine at bay.

Really reccommend getting into BB creams; I hardly use foundation anymore because there's no need!