Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Causes Aging!?

MemberMember
(@aamandaz)

Posted : 09/28/2013 10:30 pm

So I've suffered with really bad genetically caused acne for years now, and I've never found a product that could totally clear up my skin. I used to use benzaclin, and as i recall, it cleared up my skin almost completely. When i ran out, i never bothered to get the prescription refilled though. Slowly my acne started to come back, and before i knew it, i had zits all over my face and it was worse than before. This time i get scars. I went back to my doctor and she put me back on benzaclin but this time it did nothing. So she added minocycline to the mix. That still didnt help, so she replaced the benzaclin with tactuo (bp is an active ingredient in this. tactuo is known as epiduo in the states, i believe) at first my face was a mess- it was sore to the touch, it was red, my skin was super blotchy and if i held my hand in front of my face i could even feel heat coming off of it. But i really wanted my acne gone so i kept on using the tactuo. I've been using it for probably around 6 months now, and my face still "acts up" and displays all of those strange symptoms on occasion. But thats not it. My skin seems... Older.. Not dry, as ive heard people complain about tactuo, but it just doesn't seem like the quality of skin a teenager like myself should have. Just earlier today, i was reading random articles about chemicals in beauty products when i came across something that said "benzoyl peroxide- causes aging and cancer". The cancer thing totally freaked me out- i went to every website that said anything about the link between bp and cancer and eventually came to the conclusion that there was no hard evidence to prove that. But aging!? It all makes sense now! No wonder my skin looks so gross! And since tactuo hasn't totally gotten rid of my acne OR my scars, ive made up my mind that its not worth having my skin age faster (or risk the chance of cancer!) so basiclly, ive decided to stop using tactuo ASAP... Im going to make an appointment with a dermatologist first thing Monday morning (up till now, ive only been seeing my family doctor, and she just doesn't seem to have the experiance my acne needs). Basically, im wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for products i could try (addmitidly, i havent tryed very many). At this point i think i need something that can clear zits and fade scars, yet be more gentle on my face than bp.. Does such a thing even exist?

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/29/2013 4:13 am

i know that people with oily skin look younger than those with dry skin because they don't wrinkle so easily. I guess it's something like the ground of desert that cracks due to the absence of water. But oil production is one of the major causes of acne unfortunately and many products target it. However i remember reading a thread "no topicals reduce oil" or something like it. Perhaps you should read that.. I don't ise bp or drying products because my acne is food related and i keep it under control by diet. Do you use any moisturiser? It could help.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 09/29/2013 7:33 am

I don't know about the cancer claim, but I definitely think BP causes your skin to look like it's aged - dull and dry. That said, the BP regimen + Clindets Pledgets (clindamycin) really helped keep my skin relatively clear for a long time. I've recently switched to medical grade skin care (i.e. cleanser, toner, glycolic gel) and my skin is in great shape. Haven't had a pimple/cyst in months. I'm also derma rolling every 3 days (.2mm) and I think that also makes a big difference because it's sloughing off the dead skin cells which can clog pores...but this is only when you're clear. Still need to deal with the scars though :(

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/29/2013 3:57 pm

Well, pretty much everything can cause cancer. That part I wouldn't be too worried about.

However, I do think we have found evidence that BP can age the skin. However that evidence is often downplayed on this forum because The Regimen is based on BP products.

Personally, I never liked what BP did to my skin and am glad I quit using it a long time ago.

A really great alternative to benzoyl peroxide is sulfur. Derms used to write prescriptions for sulfur creams. You can now get sulfur creams over the counter though, you can get one called De La Cruz Sulfur Cream at Walgreens for $10.