Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopeful503

Why Are There So Many Laser Treatment Horror Stories?

I don't know what to believe. I have had 4 pixel laser treatments over the past 2 years. I have never noticed any negative side effects (other than the week it takes to recover). However, after reading all of the hundreds of negative reviews "laser ruined my face," "after laser I noticed more scarring and indents that weren't there before" I am absolutely terrified. It never occurred to me that the laser could have damaged my face, caused orange peel texture, indents, more scarring,etc. But after reading these stories, I've become paranoid and have been obsessively examining my face every hour of every day. As a result I HAVE noticed some scars, indents, uneven texture that I never noticed before. The thing is, they could have been there all along. I just never paid that close attention until after reading these horror stories.

My husband and dad tell me it's all in my imagination. That it's a coincidence that the same week you read horror stories, you suddenly start seeing things. I want to believe them but I'm not so sure. I don't have good pictures to compare before and after so there's no way for me to know for sure. To be clear, I don't know for sure if those marks/dents/texture issues were there all along.

It's been 2 months since my last laser. However, I'm terrified that things are going to get worse. People mentioned that things go progressively worse over weeks/months. I worry I'll wake up each morning with a spontaneous new scar or a new dent. I'm watching very closely to see if this will happen. But I've become so obsessed and it's taking over my life. I've been wondering these for the last 2 weeks but it has thrown me into a deep depression and I am riddled with anxiety over this. I am having panic attacks in the evening and I'm contemplating quitting my job.

Am I just being paranoid? I don't want to discount these people's stories because I believe them but does EVERYONE who has laser resurfacing have a negative reaction? These boards makes it seem like it. Is there anyone out there who had laser resurfacing that DIDN'T destroy their face? I've talked to a couple med spas and no one had heard of anyone having spontaneous scarring/indents and they do hundreds of these procedures a year. Are these horror stories just a small percentage and the rest of people who have had these treatments come out unscathed? I just need to know if this is in my head or a real thing.