Notifications
Clear all

Sudden Severe Breakout & Accutane Experience!

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/26/2013 9:37 am

Let me begin with a little background on my skin. I had moderate acne on my forehead & chin in high school. I tried every type of prescription topical and that usually took care of it. Recently though, My face broke out into a very severe case of nodulocystic acne! I have never experienced acne like this. I would love to know if anyone has had a similar sudden experience like this! The way it came on so suddenly is really frightening, it seems like something went terribly wrong in my body! It's so scary. My face looks awful, It seems like both of my cheeks are solid cysts. It's been a physically painful and emotionally horrifying experience! But I am SO very eager to start the accutane process and hopefully I won't experience an initial breakout, it seems like it couldn't get much worse than this anyway. unsure.png

I finally started 30mg of accutane and azithromycin ten days ago. I'm focusing on having positive thoughts about the whole experience and hoping/praying for amazing results! I'll post a photo of my face before the major breakout I had, It's pretty crazy how sudden and severe my acne came on. And I'll continue posting photos every week of my progress! I would appreciate any advice, and for you to share your experiences too!

BEFORE my breakout

face_zps63baba33.jpg

The scary breakout!!

post-219586-0-26830700-1380209947.jpg

PS I'm 10 days in and luckily I've only experienced some lip dryness as a side effect. I've also had a few new cysts sad.png but nothing unbearable

post-219586-0-26830700-1380209947.jpg

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/26/2013 10:27 am

Good luck with your treatment! The results are amazing. Accutane was a real life changer for me. Im sure youll love the results!

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/26/2013 10:40 am

Good luck with your treatment! The results are amazing. Accutane was a real life changer for me. Im sure youll love the results!

Thanks! I hope so. Curious, did you have an initial breakout?

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 09/26/2013 12:10 pm

Wanted to share my experience so far... I started accutane two weeks ago and my initial breakout started setting in around the end of the first week. Right now my acne is honestly the worst it's been in years. However, from what I gather, people who get initial breakouts are actually a minority among accutane users...

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/26/2013 3:33 pm

Wanted to share my experience so far... I started accutane two weeks ago and my initial breakout started setting in around the end of the first week. Right now my acne is honestly the worst it's been in years. However, from what I gather, people who get initial breakouts are actually a minority among accutane users...

Yes both times I used it I got a IB although it wasnt too bad. Everyone is different though so you may not. Even if you do you just have to remember that its going to clear up and youll have flawless skin soon!

MemberMember
(@bhollowa)

Posted : 09/27/2013 12:57 am

How's your acne as of day 10? I'm on day 9 of my treatment, have a nice initial breakout going, but I hope it will start clearing soon.

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/27/2013 4:50 pm

Well so far so good!! So I'm hoping for the best. Thanks for your responses

MemberMember
(@sdog101)

Posted : 09/27/2013 7:19 pm

What where you on before accutane? If you where on antibiotics most likely you wont break out, even if the antibiotics where ineffective (as if you still got an odd pimple here and there) . If you had nothing most likely you will, as accutane pushes all the gunk out of your skin. Starting accutane next week wish mee lucck

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 09/28/2013 2:44 am

This is what happent to me , just worse ^.^.

Keep your head up,accutane will clear that in no time.

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/28/2013 5:19 am

What where you on before accutane? If you where on antibiotics most likely you wont break out, even if the antibiotics where ineffective (as if you still got an odd pimple here and there) . If you had nothing most likely you will, as accutane pushes all the gunk out of your skin. Starting accutane next week wish mee lucck

I was on doryx! And I was also on Amox so maybe I won't get one which would be awesome. Thanks!!

This is what happent to me , just worse ^.^.

Keep your head up,accutane will clear that in no time.

Thanks for the motivation :) definitely need it!!

MemberMember
(@sdog101)

Posted : 09/29/2013 4:36 pm

Did you have to do this ipledge thing? JUST GIVE ME MY ACCUTANE....lol... god...

MemberMember
(@acnefree77)

Posted : 09/29/2013 4:46 pm

just wanted to send some support to you. i hope your course goes well. I am on week 5.

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/30/2013 5:25 am

Did you have to do this ipledge thing? JUST GIVE ME MY ACCUTANE....lol... god...

Yes isn't it AWFUL?! It felt like everyday went in slow motion when I had to wait for that!! Luckily I'm in Europe for a few months now, and they don't require any of that BS, so it's super easy to deal with. Good luck!

just wanted to send some support to you. i hope your course goes well. I am on week 5.

Thanks so much!! How is it going so far?

MemberMember
(@baybreeze)

Posted : 10/02/2013 4:06 pm

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I had gone all summer with clear skin until July came and my face broke out worse than it ever has. Just like yours I got the cystic acne which started around my chin then went to my cheeks which are looking exactly how yours do. I'm glad your sharing your experience! I'm waiting on getting my perscription for accutane now...of course I have to wait the whole month out but just like yours it came out of nowhere! I stress so I'm guessing that's the only thing that could've triggered it. Good luck! And keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@acnefree77)

Posted : 10/08/2013 2:15 pm

Yes isn't it AWFUL?! It felt like everyday went in slow motion when I had to wait for that!! Luckily I'm in Europe for a few months now, and they don't require any of that BS, so it's super easy to deal with. Good luck!

>just wanted to send some support to you. i hope your course goes well. I am on week 5.

Thanks so much!! How is it going so far?

So far so good now that I am on 30 mg. 10 mg was way too low. My log is Cali Gal. It is kind of depressing, but it is getting more positive now that I am having some improvement.

MemberMember
(@emilyrene)

Posted : 10/13/2013 10:21 pm

Hey! Just wanted to say that you are not alone in going from clear skin to crazy, random break out. I was the exact same way, in high school I had mild break outs and the dermatologist prescribed me a few meds that totally cleared up my skin. I was on that medicine from 15 to 22 and had perfect, clear skin. A few months ago, I decided that since my skin had been so great for so long, that I didn't need my meds anymore and went completely cold turkey. Now I am suffering from serious cystic, painful chronic acne. My skin looks identical to yours in your acne picture. It is so stressful, depressing, and all I want to do is stay inside. I am on birth control right now for the whole month before you begin accutane, but will start accutane in November. Good luck with your treatment!!

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 10/17/2013 7:00 am

Hey! Just wanted to say that you are not alone in going from clear skin to crazy, random break out. I was the exact same way, in high school I had mild break outs and the dermatologist prescribed me a few meds that totally cleared up my skin. I was on that medicine from 15 to 22 and had perfect, clear skin. A few months ago, I decided that since my skin had been so great for so long, that I didn't need my meds anymore and went completely cold turkey. Now I am suffering from serious cystic, painful chronic acne. My skin looks identical to yours in your acne picture. It is so stressful, depressing, and all I want to do is stay inside. I am on birth control right now for the whole month before you begin accutane, but will start accutane in November. Good luck with your treatment!!

Ah isn't it horrible?? I would barely leave my house to get the mail. It's a truly traumatic experience :( Fortunately the accutane is working MAGIC. I've been on it for a month and I'm seeing serious, serious improvement. So hang in there!! :)