Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin And Eyes

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 09/25/2013 3:37 pm

Hey everyone,

What treatments do you find work best for the side effect of dry, dull, and yellow eyes whilst on isotretinoin? Curious to hear what everyone uses, how successful etc. I find my drops work great, but only for a limited time - by the time I get home from work each day, I look like I need a liver transplant until I put my drops in again!

Any thoughts?

Rob

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 09/25/2013 3:51 pm

Hey everyone,

What treatments do you find work best for the side effect of dry, dull, and yellow eyes whilst on isotretinoin? Curious to hear what everyone uses, how successful etc. I find my drops work great, but only for a limited time - by the time I get home from work each day, I look like I need a liver transplant until I put my drops in again!

Any thoughts?

Rob

Hi Rob

Sorry can't help answer your question but just curious when you say ''yellow eyes''...isn't that a sign of liver problems?

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/25/2013 3:56 pm

I have not experience with accutane either but if the white part of the eye turns yellow you really should check your liver function.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 09/25/2013 6:00 pm

You need to call your doctor and have some labs for liver done ASAP!

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 09/26/2013 11:51 am

My liver's fine thanks guys, it is a common side effect of tane. I should know for I have been on the drug on and off for 13 years; when I am not on it, my eyes return to normal - plus I have no other liver disease symptoms and the usual 'tane blood tests etc always come back satisfactory.

Anyone have experience of this side effect?? Products to use etc.

Regards,

Rob

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 09/26/2013 2:04 pm

I never had yellow eyes on accutane, but my eyes did get really dry. GenTeal gel eye drops helped me a lot.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/26/2013 4:04 pm

As far as I know there isn't any eye drop you can take to mask the issue.

You say you're sure it's not sign of a liver problem, I say it probably is, maybe it's not fatal, but still an issue. You might want to consider taking liver supporting supplements (milk thistle, L-theanine) while on it.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 09/26/2013 8:31 pm

I agree with above poster, not only that it can disrupt cholesterol which you can get deposits of yellow in the eyes. Jaundice, gallbladder issues. Drug Induced Hemolytic Anemia, high bilirubin (found in people with gilberts syndrome and other diseases of the liver etc...) pancreatic issues.

What are the rare but possible severe side effects of taking Accutane?

If you experience any of these severe side effects while taking Isotretinoin, stop taking the medication and seek medical attention. Some of the rare but possible severe side effects of Isotretinoin include depression, thoughts of ending your life, vision problems, seizures, yellow eyes, yellow skin, dark stools, hives, an all over rash, vomiting, numbness of the arms or legs, impaired hearing, persistent diarrhea, high fever, loss of appetite, abdominal (stomach) pains, bleeding from the rectum, and chills.

We are not doctors and yellow eyes can be serious, seek medical attention and If your derm doesn't help see a regular physician! 13 yrs. off and on Accutane, that's extremely a long time, not even cancer pts take it that long off and on. wacko.png