Notifications
Clear all

I Burned My Skin With Tea Tree Oil. Help?

MemberMember
(@lisapautova)

Posted : 09/25/2013 12:07 pm

Okay, first of all, I know it was a horrible idea! But rubbing tea tree oil on my zits helps dry them up, and I had a huge zit on the side of my face, so I put some tea tree oil on a band aid and left it on all night, hoping for some kind of a miracle over night treatment

I woke up this morning with a huge dark square mark! I just about fell over. It doesn't hurt strangely.. I washed it with soap and water and put neosporin and a band aid on it. It's starting to peel... I'm just nervous that it's going to leave a nasty scar forever! I wouldn't care this much if it wasn't on my face. Is there anything I put on it to reduce that risk? How does it look?

post-219846-0-75567400-1380128867.jpg

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/26/2013 12:53 am

Go to a doctor

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 09/26/2013 1:59 am

I once did that myself with tea tree oil long ago LOL, although it was a smaller space. I put on one of those sterile hydrogel compresses you put on burned wounds and can buy in pharmacies here. This lets the skin heal in a wet surrounding and less likely to scar. I would not put anything else on there that could irritate the skin further. The *killed* skin layers will now come off. Underneath there was red new skin and to be honest that red patch stayed there looong, but it did not scar.

Of course seeing a doc would be my first advise, but I know that is always a bit difficult in the USA because of this insurance thing I still do not understand how it works.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/26/2013 3:58 am

It will leave a red mark but it doesn't seem severe enough for actual scar, don't worry. I have burnt my skin many times with.. garlic.

MemberMember
(@hanzuno)

Posted : 09/26/2013 5:08 pm

Okay, first of all, I know it was a horrible idea! But rubbing tea tree oil on my zits helps dry them up, and I had a huge zit on the side of my face, so I put some tea tree oil on a band aid and left it on all night, hoping for some kind of a miracle over night treatment

I woke up this morning with a huge dark square mark! I just about fell over. It doesn't hurt strangely.. I washed it with soap and water and put neosporin and a band aid on it. It's starting to peel... I'm just nervous that it's going to leave a nasty scar forever! I wouldn't care this much if it wasn't on my face. Is there anything I put on it to reduce that risk? How does it look?

why do you cover it after applying tea tree oil? it dries up really quickly and is not greasy. For me, besides the usual neopsorin, I would try something like castor oil.

MemberMember
(@medea)

Posted : 09/27/2013 2:21 pm

I suggest you stop using it. tto is a great thing for acne, but if strong and 100% it can just burn your skin. to heal this burn i recommend using grape seed oil.

MemberMember
(@lisapautova)

Posted : 09/27/2013 7:07 pm

Hey guys! First of all, I want to thank all of you for taking the time to post back. It means a lot. I'm happy that I'm not the only one who was stupid enough to try this lol...

Well first of all, going to the doctor's really isn't an option because of insurance...I don't think the doctor would offer much advice other than what I've been doing. I've been being very gentle with the burn. Putting neosporin on it several times a day, keeping it covered with a bandaid 24/7. It's looking a lot better. I've been doing lots of googling and it says that keeping a wound in a sterile moist environment promotes healing and reduces the chances of scarring. I'm not forcing it to peel, I'm leaving it run its course. I feel better too. It doesn't look like it's going to scar, but even if it does it won't be noticeable with some makeup. And I don't think it's anything a good scar-fading cream can't help. I'll think about rubbing some Vitamin E oil on it too because I heard that helps.

This is how it looks today. It's no longer square.
25ip3ev.jpg
MemberMember
(@flowerchild94)

Posted : 09/28/2013 11:30 pm

Please be careful with using tea tree oil, especially of you're using other things like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, etc because a combination of these things can be really irritating (I learned this the hard way). If you do continue to use the tea tree oil, dilute it with some water or a pure oil so that it isn't so potent. For now, I would keep the area moist like you're doing and cover it at night with a bandaid. Try not to keep washing it, and when you do, use a gentle soap without fragrance. Neosporin actually gave me red, itchy patches and small bumps on my face; Turns out I was allergic to one of the ingredients. Bacitracin seems to work really well for me, and it has fewer ingredients than Neosporin. Vaseline or Vitamin E oil is another option for soothing your chemical burn. Try to use something with the fewest active ingredients in it, since your skin is already agitated.

Give it a few days and it WILL get better, don't worry! :)

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 09/29/2013 7:39 am

Ouch! Looks painful. Really think you'll be fine though. :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/29/2013 1:47 pm

LOL I've done the same thing with ice, vinegar, and 10% BP before. It'll be noticeable for maybe a week or so, then it'll fade and you won't even see it smile.png

MemberMember
(@lisapautova)

Posted : 10/15/2013 6:07 pm

Just an update of the healing (20 days later) :P

2eyxijb.jpg

MemberMember
(@seplin2003)

Posted : 06/27/2014 6:46 pm

Ouch! I hope yours healed ok. I use teatree oil on my face with no problem but never covered it. I got the same "burn" when I used a bandaid but on my neck to remove a skin tag. I was thinking it's something with the bandaid adhesive, tto, and keeping it covered that intensified the effect. It's now day 2 and it feels and looks like a bruise!post-405615-0-49732200-1403912736_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jennahl)

Posted : 02/27/2015 2:38 am

Wow........ I just finished writing a super long reply to this post, and this site doesn't even save drafts......... Just blew away the entire draft........UGH.

I am just gonna write a much shorter version.

If you ever did this to yourself... like the original poster and I did........I hope my experience helps. I have flat warts on my face and heard that tea tree oil can help get rid of it. There were many posts and videos on how to use tea tree oil to get rid of warts, which stated that I soak a cotton ball or band-aid in teatree oil and cover the wart for overnight..... Thank God I did this for less than 1 hour............

Disclaimer: can't be used as medical advice and go see a doctor!!!

1. Wash the area immediately with cold water. Don't use harsh soap - especially if your burn is severe

2. If you have burns medicine, then put it on but you should do it after the area cools down. I heard that without cooling down, it can continue the burning process.

Google ALOE VERA or POTATO for burns remedy. I used freshly grated refrigerated potato but I didn't have blisters. (Getting blisters means your burn is more serious... like 2nd degree)

3. I put on first-aid medicine (check if you have any that says it's ok for minor burns)

4. If you can, go see a doctor. I went to a general hospital and saw a plastic surgeon.

5. Don't put sticky sterile dressing. They use non-sticky ones so that you don't damage your skin. They put on duoderm non-sticky type, so check types.

6. Make sure you don't get an infection. I got antibiotic shots and medicine.

7. Avoid water, sweat and sunlight (discoloration)

8. Don't scratch, because it will be itchy

9. My doctor used cream called "EGF" - epidermal growth factor. I think you can buy it, too, but it's pretty expensive. I bought mine for like $80.

10. You can also look for scar patches and creams. I will start using them next week I heard.

I hope the original poster's skin healed perfectly, and hope this helped. (Trust me, I wrote so much more......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

I hope my skin heals well, too...... Going wedding dress shopping in less than 2 weeks so I felt really depressed that I did to myself..........T_T.........

AND lastly, I hope this post helps any poor girl who also may suffer from the same mistake.

I tried posting picture but the site automatically adjusts the file size so I just deleted them ... grrrr

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/13/2015 12:21 am

if you use tea tree oil next time. Dilute it with water so it would be less irritating! Tea tree oil actually works.

MemberMember
(@aishwarya)

Posted : 03/29/2016 2:49 am

I just did that to my face 3days ago to get rid of a skin tag. It's still dark brown/red and isn't peeling at all? I am applying aloe Vera gel to keep it moist but it's not helping. Will it scar? How long does it take to heal?

MemberMember
(@jeremiah-johnson)

Posted : 07/15/2016 7:44 am

i need help i did the exact same thing and have a square on my forehead i kept the scab moist an keeps washing it the scabs stop growing its just a patch of red skin and i put neosporin on it all day please tell me how long will it take to heal ?i have pretty much the same things just right on my forehead :((((

MemberMember
(@neimsay)

Posted : 08/20/2016 5:21 pm

Hello , I have tiny colorless bumps all over my forehead , and I heard that using tea tree oil could reduce them . And so I did 3 days ago . It was burning at first but I thought it was doing its job . It didn't burn after like 20 minutes . The next day , my forehead felt so dry , I applied a moisturizer like I normally do . I used it again that night . The next day again , I noticed that the tiny bumps became red and I couldn't feel my forehead . It also became wrinkly . I don't know what to do . The wrinkles are very noticeable . What should I do ? I'm scared it'll stay like this . Please help !

MemberMember
(@mn31)

Posted : 07/03/2017 11:07 pm

On 2016-08-20 at 6:21 PM, Neimsay said:

Hello , I have tiny colorless bumps all over my forehead , and I heard that using tea tree oil could reduce them . And so I did 3 days ago . It was burning at first but I thought it was doing its job . It didn't burn after like 20 minutes . The next day , my forehead felt so dry , I applied a moisturizer like I normally do . I used it again that night . The next day again , I noticed that the tiny bumps became red and I couldn't feel my forehead . It also became wrinkly . I don't know what to do . The wrinkles are very noticeable . What should I do ? I'm scared it'll stay like this . Please help !

Im really hoping you see this because i have the same thing as you described! Put the TTO overnight on my pimples and i woke up and my face is darker , verrrry dry almost flaky and full of red areas kinda burn sometimes!! Even have Shrivelled skin/wrinkles. Put the oil about 3 weeks ago. Please let me know how yours went away! HOPINg i havent ruined my skin forever. i one else's is also reading this, PLEASE HELP!

MemberMember
(@wintermelts)

Posted : 10/21/2017 11:27 am

20171022_001243.jpgPls help 

okay so like the OP, i used a cotton soaked with tea tree oil and used a band-aid to keep it on my skin over the night.  And somehow it looked worse than OP's burn??? I'm panicking so much right now. I dont even know if this is a second degree burn or what??? For now I'm using Cetaphil as a facial wash because i heard it's gentle to the skin and my sister suggested i use petroleum jelly on my burn. Can i also use a burn ointment called Benzocaine Boric Acid Euclyptus??? I have Nature Republic's Aloe Vera Gel so I'm thinking of using that too to keep my burn moist but can yall tell me if my burn is a second degree burn and if it's so bad that I need to see the doctor? I'm so upset and I even have an event in the first week of november... TT^TT

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 10/22/2017 10:07 am

@wintermeltsGoto a doctor please, you burnt yourself, this is your face. You need to get a burn cream on the scar. IT needs to be on there several times a day. Use aloe vera and honey or whatever they use for burns where you are. You will need to use silicone patches after a few weeks if it scars and will take some time to heal.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/24/2017 2:38 am

If you can't get to the doctor for whatever reason, I suggest you first apply triple antibiotic ointment for a few days (Walmart's own brand is the cheapest if you're in the US). Then I would suggest applying Castor Oil for the duration until completely healed. Castor Oil has both anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial elements, so very effective in possible scar reduction while healing.

BTW you should NEVER use Tea Tree Oil alone. It should always be mixed with a carrier oil like Castor Oil or Jojoba Oil or Coconut Oil.

MemberMember
(@justanotherdumbteen)

Posted : 11/15/2017 8:37 pm

THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!! If you're coming to this thread because you just did this to yourself, try not to beat yourself up. As I'm sure you've seen already, this has happened to A LOT of us!!

STEP 1: Please don't panic. I realize it's a very hard thing to do, but the moment this happened to me I wish I would have cut myself some slack. This is actually very normal, and it's usually nothing an ointment, disinfectant, and careful care won't fix.

This worked for my would, it might not work for yours. I will attempt to describe my wound as best as possible so that you can determine if it applies to you, but I still recommend that for 100% certainty you go visit a dermatologist. 

I gave burnt myself by leaving a bandaid soaked in 100% pure tea tree oil overnight, and woke up to an angry red burn on my cheek. It burned and itched, and my first instinct was to put neosporin on it. DO NOT PUT ANY MAKEUP ON IT, as it may infect your wound and make things worse. I know it's hard to walk around with a burn on your face, but you just have to suck it up for a bit so that you can get rid of it in a week. I know that a week sounds like an eternity right now, but trust me when I say it isn't. Also, you'll find people actually don't care that much about that burn on your face, since their days don't revolve around you. 

I disinfected my wound and put neosporin on it for the first 2 days, and then I went to see a dermatologist. She told me to put vaseline on the wound before showering and after showering. It sounded strange, but I did it anyways and IT WORKED FREAKING WONDERS!! This is only my 3rd day treating my burn with vaseline and it has nearly completely healed already. I do cover it up with a band-aid after I apply vaseline post-shower to help prevent infection from walking the streets of new york all day. This has not affected my healing process, but I do recommend that once you get home you take the band aid off to let your wound breathe.

Finally, DO NOT EXPOSE IT TO THE SUN since this might scar your sensitive skin.

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE, I MUST HOWEVER RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY GOING TO A DERMATOLOGIST IF YOU'RE UNSURE OF ANYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET. WE ARE NOT DOCTORS ON HERE, JUST PEOPLE TRYING TO HELP OUT.

I hope this helped! You're still just as beautiful as you were before. Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@ankitanikam)

Posted : 03/12/2018 11:02 pm

Can someone help me with this? I used tea tree oil on my acne .. first night it dint react and the second night i put it ... morning when i woke up it was this. I mixed aloevera gel along with tea tree still it reacted... m unable to understand want is it .... because its not swelling nor is it watery or bumpy ... its just dry and little bit flaky ... will this stay back ?? please help 

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-13 at 9.26.43 AM.jpeg

MemberMember
(@mtwar)

Posted : 07/07/2018 12:59 pm

Anybody know what this could be? How to treat it? I™ve been using neosporin. 61068D0C-0E4A-4A18-A75E-738E2274B1CF.thumb.png.2a4a8629be1a11016a5ca4d6b7c7b5f1.png

MemberMember
(@mtwar)

Posted : 07/07/2018 1:40 pm

Very confused. Someone help please!

6D90EA91-7C4C-4419-99CA-DB80E0227766.jpeg