Notifications
Clear all

Is This Normal?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 09/23/2013 9:57 pm

I've been using tretinoin 0.5% nightly now for about 3 and a 1/2 months now and it's cleared up a lot. However every few days I might get a new pimple. Sometimes they can go away in about 2 days or sometimes a week. I haven't had a cyst for about 3 weeks now. I have a LOT of hyperpigmentation and it's so degrading.

I'm asking - is it normal to still experience a few breakouts after 3 months? I just want normal skin. My other option is accutane but I'm scared unbelievably by that drug.

Also - does tretinoin remove acne "scars" ?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 09/23/2013 10:19 pm

My experience with tretinoin a coupld months back is that it speeds up getting rid of the existing acne spot. But in no way does it prevent new acne from forming.

It did help with hyperpigmentation and red marks but it does take time.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 09/23/2013 11:12 pm

Hm, interesting. Anyone else?? Also is tretinoin the same thing as retin-A?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 09/24/2013 5:41 pm

Can anyone help?

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/24/2013 6:29 pm

For the redness you could use 100% Aloe Vera, but you would have to buy the leaf (it's like a dollar at Wal Mart or your local grocery store) and extract the gel yourself.

Between Retin-A, tretinoin and Aloe (I've used all 3), Aloe Vera is not only a moisturizer, but it significantly reduces acne mark redness. You should give it a try.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 09/25/2013 11:06 pm

I've always thought aloe vera was for burns and what not

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/26/2013 7:21 pm

I've always thought aloe vera was for burns and what not

Nope, it's also for acne scars/marks. Go read it online. It's a proven fact.

MemberMember
(@ehal14)

Posted : 10/27/2013 10:06 pm

Yes, retin a is a brand name for tretinoin. It may help diminish the look of acne scar but not necessarily "remove" it. But of course you gotta use it for a long time, give or take 6months to a year for full result. It's a great long term treatment for acne. I recommend you use it in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide (bp in the morning, retin a at night). They both work really well for me. If you experience dryness or flaking, just cut back the application to every other day until your skin get used to it. Good luck!