Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne Cysts...possibly Pcos

MemberMember
(@sems)

Posted : 09/23/2013 5:50 pm

Im 20 years old and I have had severe acne cysts on my face for about a year now. One year ago I literally did not even get pimples, but when I turned 19 it all changed. I have tried EVERYTHING there is to try (various topicals, 3 oral antibiotics, loestrin, retin a, clindamycin). Nothing works on my acne because my cysts are so deep and they never go away on their own. I also tried spironolactone but only for a month so i dont know if it would have worked or not but it did give me a major breakout. I dont get any regular pimples I just get cysts. I dont know what to do. Has anyone been in this situation where their face has always been clear and then randomly broke out in CYSTS?!

I suspect i have PCOS. i have had irregular, heavy, and painful periods ever since I got my period at age 11. I also have been overweight most of my life and suffer from facial hair. This past summer I got one dermoid cyst and one regular ovarian cyst removed from my ovaries, but i DO NOT have polycystic ovaries.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! I FEEL LIKE IM OUT OF OPTIONS AND NOTHING WILL EVER WORK FOR MY SEVERE DEEP CYSTS!!!!! i dont know why my acne does not respond to any treatments.........

I have tried loestrin which didnt work for my acne, but has anyone with pcos tried Yaz/Yasmin for severe acne? I think that will be my next step but I dont want things to get worse. PLEASE HELP

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/23/2013 6:26 pm

Have you ever considered Accutane? By the description of antibiotics and creams you've used, I do suggest you talk to your dermatologist about Accutane.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/23/2013 6:56 pm

Even though it's called PCOS, you don't necessarily need to have the specific ovary symptom to have all the other problems of PCOS.

The period issue + the weight + the facial hair are very high indicators of a hormonal problem.

Many PCOSers go on spironolactone and find that it clears up their skin. Some dermatologists also prescribe it just for acne (that's what I got it for). I really recommend you look into it. They talk about spironolactone a lot on PCOS forums as well. Going on it for a month isn't long enough...sometimes you will get an initial breakout...but it takes about 6 months for results to kick in.

You could also try progesterone cream (over the counter), but like spironolactone, it will take months to see results.

MemberMember
(@sems)

Posted : 09/24/2013 10:32 pm

Thanks for the replies, but Im a bit hesitant to start accutane when I know its a hormonal issue that can be solved without accutane. Not to mention i would probably relapse after the accutane. Im also hesitant to go back on spiro.

Has anyone with cystic acne caused by PCOS tried Yaz and had success?!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/25/2013 12:26 pm

What about metformin? I used to be on it but am just on spiro now and I'm breaking out in horrible cysts/nodules as well :(. I've been fine without the met for almost two years. So I don't know what's causing this resurgence of acne. Ordered progesterone cream, might ask for met, just not sure :(.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/25/2013 11:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, but Im a bit hesitant to start accutane when I know its a hormonal issue that can be solved without accutane. Not to mention i would probably relapse after the accutane. Im also hesitant to go back on spiro.

Has anyone with cystic acne caused by PCOS tried Yaz and had success?!

The reason Yaz works for acne (besides that sometimes any birth control has a hormonal regulating effect) is because it uses drospirenone, which is a derivative of spironolactone.

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/26/2013 11:19 am

I'm having SEVERE cystic acne as well. Completely randomly broke out into deep, awful cysts on both cheeks. Does yours look anything like mine? There is pictures in my gallery.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/28/2013 6:20 pm

Tessolivia, I saw your gallery, it looks cystic. If it's really bad then you can get a cortisone injection at the doctor's or dermatologist's. If you have other symptoms like facial hair growth, irregular periods, moodiness, then you might want to try spiro or metformin. If not, perhaps try an oral antibiotic like minocyline.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/29/2013 2:30 pm

I think it looks like an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis...it doesn't look like typical hormonal acne in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/29/2013 5:15 pm

I agree, it doesn't look hormonal.

MemberMember
(@sems)

Posted : 10/02/2013 8:58 pm

actually to me that does look hormonal. you guys would be surprised at the different forms that hormonal acne can take. For me I admit i do not have A LOT of acne but the cysts i do have are so deep and severe. I had one cyst i have been dealing with for 5 months now and I have gotten shot twice with cortisone and it is still big and inflamed. And in my case, i definitely think all signs point to hormonal acne. I am going to try yaz in a month as a last resort before accutane. It seems like yaz has helped a lot of women with pcos and acne so its definitely worth a try.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 10/04/2013 12:06 am

From my experience, hormonal acne is often more inflamed and often located on the chin. Yes, I know not always...but during my hormonal flareups it always surfaces in very inflamed chin nodules. If you have any other symptoms like an irregular period, then signs may point to hormonal. Antibiotics may treat it temporarily and in the meantime you can explore hormonal, homeopathic, or nutritional causes.

Sems, is it possible your derm's cortisone is expired?

actually to me that does look hormonal. you guys would be surprised at the different forms that hormonal acne can take. For me I admit i do not have A LOT of acne but the cysts i do have are so deep and severe. I had one cyst i have been dealing with for 5 months now and I have gotten shot twice with cortisone and it is still big and inflamed. And in my case, i definitely think all signs point to hormonal acne. I am going to try yaz in a month as a last resort before accutane. It seems like yaz has helped a lot of women with pcos and acne so its definitely worth a try.

MemberMember
(@sems)

Posted : 10/04/2013 1:29 am

NO, definitely not possible. I go to the best derm in my area (Washington DC) and I know I'm getting quality stuff. Most people just don't understand that obviously a cyst can be treated with a cortisone shot, but when multiple cysts connect into one huge cyst, then it requires multiple shots. If this has never happened to you then you would not understand cry.gif

i can tell you all from personal experience, if you have multiple little cysts/pimples, then DONT FREAK OUT! they will go away eventually! until you have been in my situation you will not truly understand cysts that merge together to form a mega cyst that never heals on its own!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 10/04/2013 11:28 am

Sems, I understand. I have nodular acne. I had one since May and had injected three times. Now it has finally gone down but I have a scar. Would a short course of antibiotics help that stubborn one? Perhaps some topical cortisone cream that you could apply nightly? I don't usually recommend it because of the awful experience I had going off of it, but Diane 35 is a powerful acne bc. If you're miserable, it's worth a try. Just wean off when you quit it.

NO, definitely not possible. I go to the best derm in my area (Washington DC) and I know I'm getting quality stuff. Most people just don't understand that obviously a cyst can be treated with a cortisone shot, but when multiple cysts connect into one huge cyst, then it requires multiple shots. If this has never happened to you then you would not understand cry.gif

i can tell you all from personal experience, if you have multiple little cysts/pimples, then DONT FREAK OUT! they will go away eventually! until you have been in my situation you will not truly understand cysts that merge together to form a mega cyst that never heals on its own!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/04/2013 11:10 pm

It happened to me too....multiple cysts merging into a gigantic one. But I don't advocate using cortisone shots. Cortisone can thin your skin and make it more prone to scarring, and so will topical cortisone.

I haven't had any infections or any huge cysts in a while, partially due to diet changes. But also, going to a good esthetician and getting extractions with high frequency afterwards helped my skin a lot. Does your derm do extractions?