Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics Or No Antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@shell45)

Posted : 09/20/2013 9:53 am

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone thought as far as to take antibiotics or to not take them. I was given Doxycycline, 100 mg once a day to take for a month. I am a week into it and I have been breaking out more! I guess this might be considered 'purging'? I do not like to take antibiotics unless I really have to. I told my new dermy this and she said she really thought it would help get my moderate adult acne under control along with spot treating the 1000 pimples with 10% benzoyl peroxide. So this is what I have been doing.

How do you all feel about antibiotic use for acne? Yay or nay and why?

Thanks,

Shell

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 09/20/2013 10:01 am

Antibiotics have pros and cons. They can definitely help w/ your current acne condition. Often, you are unable to get control of things w/o the use of an antibiotic. However, the results dont last forever, and you'll eventually return to where you were once you come of the antibiotic, unless of course you've found a regimen that works for you during the time you are on the antibiotics. Another pitfall is that antibiotics destroy both bad and good bacteria. Destroying good bacteria can be harmful to your stomach, digestion, and overall health in general. I dont see anything wrong w/ using them when you need to; just reealize its not a permanent solution and you'll need to work on finding another method that keeps you clear. Also, we sure to take a good probiotic while taking an antibiotic to try to replenish some of the good bacteria into your system

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/20/2013 1:30 pm

I would say no, having been on doxy 3 times and bactrim once. Not worth it. You end up causing damage with various dysbioses (fungal infections, digestive problems, etc). If you have random inflammatory acne I would try other internal treatments such as diet modifications while maintaining a topical regimen.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/20/2013 6:11 pm

Topic moved to Prescription acne medications forum

MemberMember
(@jug)

Posted : 09/21/2013 10:44 pm

Minocycline cured my acne, but the side effects were too much for me to handle.

MemberMember
(@patrick92)

Posted : 09/23/2013 2:46 am

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone thought as far as to take antibiotics or to not take them. I was given Doxycycline, 100 mg once a day to take for a month. I am a week into it and I have been breaking out more! I guess this might be considered 'purging'? I do not like to take antibiotics unless I really have to. I told my new dermy this and she said she really thought it would help get my moderate adult acne under control along with spot treating the 1000 pimples with 10% benzoyl peroxide. So this is what I have been doing.

How do you all feel about antibiotic use for acne? Yay or nay and why?

Thanks,

Shell

I'm currently on a 3 month course of doxy 100mg as well and experienced no purging or breakouts when I started taking it. It did take 2 or 3 weeks before I noticed it having any positive effect on my skin though, so if you keep taking it I'm reasonably sure it will get your acne under control temporally. As many on this forum have experienced, antibiotics usually only work in the short-term though as acne often returns soon after you've finished your course. If I were you I'd keep taking doxy till you've finished your course but go back to your derm to ask about other treatments that will have a more lasting effect such as retinoids. Or if the bp is working well for you maybe you could give the regimen a try if you haven't already.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 09/23/2013 4:19 am

When I was on mino for about 3 months, I probably would have said Yes. But coming of it was really bad. I stayed clear for about 10 months but stopping the antibiotics just made my acne come back worse.

So I vote no. Also, in the long run taking all those antibiotics isn't good for you.