Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane On Nhs

MemberMember
(@esp123)

Posted : 09/19/2013 5:35 pm

Hello, I have been through many treatments with my GP to try and clear my acne which have been: oxytetracycline, lymecycline(tetralysal), benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, azelaic acid (skinoren) and retinoid creams. None of these have worked on my fairly mild but very persistent acne. They have not even come close to working in all honesty and have only made my skin worse, especially benzoyl peroxide. My main problem now is that every spot I get leaves a red mark which I cannot get rid of and often last beyond a year. I only have about 5 or 6 spots on my face and some more on my back and shoulders but about 50 red marks (again, these last for over a year). In the 5-6 years I've had acne I have never had a clear day and my acne shows no signs of going away it's never been bad and it's pretty much been the way it is today from day one. My GP has now referred me to a dermatologist without me even asking him to and specifically mentioned the drug roaccutane (again without me mentioning it) since I had been through so many treatments and I still have very persistent acne despite sticking to treatments for a prolonged period of time. My GP said that he would include a recommendation for roaccutane in the referral letter to the dermatologist. What do you think the chances of a dermatologist prescribing me roaccutane are?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/19/2013 11:16 pm

Pretty good usually they dont have a problem giving it to you if you have tried the other treatments without success.

MemberMember
(@chrissy-cambell)

Posted : 09/20/2013 3:58 am

You will get it, on my 4th day of treatment on the nhs myself

MemberMember
(@esp123)

Posted : 09/20/2013 5:49 am

You will get it, on my 4th day of treatment on the nhs myself

Good luck to you, I hope it all goes well.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I'm really hoping I'm able to get roaccutane.

MemberMember
(@chrissy-cambell)

Posted : 09/20/2013 6:48 am

Bare in mind you need blood tests and results before they will give it to you

I asked for mine to be done before I seem my derm, so I could show him the results and get the accutane straight away.

I don't know what it's like in England but here in Northern Ireland you have to wait 16 weeks for a derm appointment! By the time you are seen you are scarred for life

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/22/2013 6:01 am

See page 4 of attachment for typical indications for Accutane

MemberMember
(@angelina_jr)

Posted : 09/22/2013 9:06 am

It's the referral to the dermatologist thats the difficult bit done when going through uk NHS as surgeries get charged per referral so doctors can be stubborn. Persistence works though in my opinion! So once you get to set the dermatologist, you'll most probably be offered accutane or uk named equivalent if you've tried all the alternatives. I didn't have to wait 16 weeks, fingers crossed you don't either. All the best :-)

MemberMember
(@hope13x)

Posted : 09/27/2013 12:23 pm

Like you i have suffered for many years and tried different treatments.

My gp referred me at the end of June and suggested I be put on roaccutane also, I got an appointment in September with the dermatologist. He took a look at my skin and within minutes said he was going to put me on roaccutane I didn't have to suggest it and he didn't mention any other options. Bearing in mind my skin is clear at the moment because my antibiotics are working. I can't see there being an issue for you getting roaccutane, good luck I hope it all works out for you.