Notifications
Clear all

Extremely Dry, Flakey Skin! Help!

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 09/18/2013 12:15 am

My skin is EXTREMELY dry and flakey . Yesterday I smothered my face in coconut oil (yes, virgin, unrefined, cold pressed, organic) mixed with jojoba oil (because I heard its better to mix with a non-comedogenic oil) and my daily moisturiser for extra thickness, and it honestly did nothing. NOTHING.

My face is still cracky/flakey..DISGUSTING.!

I really have no idea what else to use, my neutrogena oil free moisturiser isn't giving me enough moisture. Even my Olay everyday sunscreen isn't working!

Now I am on my fourth week of using BP and I know this is a side effect for a while until it subsides, but seriously my flakes are BAD especially around the sides of my mouth to about halfway to my ear, under my bottom lip area (pretty much my whole chin) and around my nostrils..and it's actually spreading to my temples! oh and between my eyebrows.

umm yeah so I think by tomorrow my entire face will just be full of big flakes -_-

I can temporarily fix my flakes for about half an hour to an hour for if i have to go up town.. But it's really really bad :S

Please recommend me some really fantastic products to help my face skin! My face is obviously acne prone so take that into consideration :)

My skin is also sensitive.

MemberMember
(@bleedingrose)

Posted : 09/18/2013 3:14 am

I had to stop using Benzyl Peroxide, it turned my skin to sand paper, and it took about a week to heal. Maybe ask your Doctor about Benzamycin Gel (think it's called Duac now), that's wonderful for oily skin, without the drying. You have to keep it in the fridge, and like the peroxide it can bleach clothing so be careful. I'd avoid the sun too until your skin has healed, because that Peroxide stuff is like a mini chemical peel.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/18/2013 4:55 am

I also had to stop using BP because my skin is too sensitive and I think it burnt me. I also had lots of dryness and flakes I couldn't get rid of. I use a tea tree oil gel now and get no flakes or dryness whatsoever.

However, I know lots of people on here say it takes a few months for your skin to get used to the regimen, so depending on how long you've been doing your regimen your skin might get better as it gets used to the BP!

MemberMember
(@bleedingrose)

Posted : 09/18/2013 5:22 am

Yes, Tea Tree Gel, Witch Hazel Gel, Aloe Gel - all good!

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 09/18/2013 2:15 pm

My skin is EXTREMELY dry and flakey . Yesterday I smothered my face in coconut oil (yes, virgin, unrefined, cold pressed, organic) mixed with jojoba oil (because I heard its better to mix with a non-comedogenic oil) and my daily moisturiser for extra thickness, and it honestly did nothing. NOTHING.

My face is still cracky/flakey..DISGUSTING.!

I really have no idea what else to use, my neutrogena oil free moisturiser isn't giving me enough moisture. Even my Olay everyday sunscreen isn't working!

Now I am on my fourth week of using BP and I know this is a side effect for a while until it subsides, but seriously my flakes are BAD especially around the sides of my mouth to about halfway to my ear, under my bottom lip area (pretty much my whole chin) and around my nostrils..and it's actually spreading to my temples! oh and between my eyebrows.

umm yeah so I think by tomorrow my entire face will just be full of big flakes -_-

I can temporarily fix my flakes for about half an hour to an hour for if i have to go up town.. But it's really really bad :S

Please recommend me some really fantastic products to help my face skin! My face is obviously acne prone so take that into consideration smile.png

My skin is also sensitive.

I'd stop using BP for a while but keep using your moisturizer (morning and night). This helps me when my skin gets very flaky.

I also find Jojoba oil helps a lot.

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 09/18/2013 5:29 pm

:( I really don't want to stop using it though in case my pimples/acne comes back..lol

sheesh I don't know what to do now eusa_wall.gif omg..

What is witch hazel? I thought it was just a brand of product huh.png But yeah my skin is allergic to tea tree oil.. for some reason it just does not like my skin at all

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/18/2013 9:12 pm

Benzoyl peroxide was very bad for my skin.

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 09/19/2013 5:53 pm

Well, I might update you all about my skin. I stopped using BP during the day because I don't think my skin can handle it twice a day..

I used some Avene Cleanance K (during the day) because under all these flakes my skin is oily! It's not really recommended for dry flakey skin but I thought, thats just the surface.

And it has worked wonders! My face is about 90% flake-free smile.png

I have been spraying on their Thermal Spring Water to refresh and hydrate my face so I don't have to rub it. (That water is really magical! You wouldn't think so but honestly it's amazing for hydrating the skin.)

It contains AHA and BHA. Also it is a leave on exfoliator, Normal exfoliators just ruin my face, irritate and really are not good for me personally. But I have not used one for a really really long time now since I was about 14 so I should really give it another shot.

MemberMember
(@stolsmark1)

Posted : 10/06/2013 2:11 pm

Heres what you do. Work your way into BP. I started by using it every other day and applying a light moisturizer first. After a couple of weeks I started to use it everyday. Then a couple of weeks later i removed the moisturizer. You will get light peeling but nothing disgusting. You will not get burnt or nearly as red.

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 10/08/2013 8:29 pm

Heres what you do. Work your way into BP. I started by using it every other day and applying a light moisturizer first. After a couple of weeks I started to use it everyday. Then a couple of weeks later i removed the moisturizer. You will get light peeling but nothing disgusting. You will not get burnt or nearly as red.

Yes, I tried working my way into it but I still have to stop applying it every 6-7 days in the morning to give my face a rest. It seems to be working, I have been applying the BP morning and night for about a week then skipping a morning, when I apply it again that night my face feels relieved, moisturised and normal again :) since posting this topic I have brought some heavier moisturiser for dry/flakey skin and it has been working wonders! Around my mouth still gets a little flakey but once I moisturise it is not noticeable.

But for me personally I have to use a heavy moisturiser. I have tried using no moisturiser, light moisturiser, moisturiser for all skin types and none of them have worked to maintain my skin while using the BP

MemberMember
(@anthony22)

Posted : 10/09/2013 5:18 pm

Yes, I tried working my way into it but I still have to stop applying it every 6-7 days in the morning to give my face a rest. It seems to be working, I have been applying the BP morning and night for about a week then skipping a morning, when I apply it again that night my face feels relieved, moisturised and normal again smile.png since posting this topic I have brought some heavier moisturiser for dry/flakey skin and it has been working wonders! Around my mouth still gets a little flakey but once I moisturise it is not noticeable.

But for me personally I have to use a heavy moisturiser. I have tried using no moisturiser, light moisturiser, moisturiser for all skin types and none of them have worked to maintain my skin while using the BP

I'm in the same boat as you, I have to use a heavy moisturizer other wise it doesn't do the trick! I did have great success using jojoba oil on its own, and I also used a BHA exfoliant from Paula's choice which really helped the dry skin I was experiencing from Accutane.

MemberMember
(@aspiringbodybuilder)

Posted : 10/13/2013 9:51 pm

Instead of completely stopping the bp just use it at night and make sure to load the moisturizer on for a couple of days and then when the flakes go away start using bp morning and night again :)