Notifications
Clear all

Reintroducing Meat After 16 Years Vegetarian

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/17/2013 7:57 pm

A few days ago, I decided to diversify my diet by adding some meat. I've been a vegetarian for 16 years now. I was strict for 14 years, and 2 years ago I started eating some fish. At first, I had some stomach pains but now I'm used to it. Today I had a turkey burger (all white meat, organic, no additives) and took a digestive enzyme capsule before it but I still experienced some stomach pain. I have also been eating ham for a few days with no issue.

Any tips on how to gradually incorporate meat into my diet? What are the most beneficial types of meat that won't cause acne or histamine reactions? Is it better to eat more fish instead of meat?

I feel really guilty for eating meat again because I have been supporting animal rights since I was very young. I'm not deficient in B12 despite being vegetarian for so long and anemic. I was just getting bored of the same restricted diet every day, and since I'm trying to eat paleo most days of the week, I figured that meat would give me more options. My acupuncturist recommended red meat, but so far I only had white meat...a bit nervous about cooking red meat.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/17/2013 9:19 pm

Wow! I've been a vegetarian for almost three years and just recently started eating fish. Fish does not make me break out at all. I tried the paleo diet without any meat besides fish and it was so difficult! I did it for 30 days and lost far too much weight. I was considering adding meat back in to try it out, as well.

I'm really interested in how it works out for you! I'm surprised that your acupuncturist would recommend red meat...just the thought makes me shudder. I would suggest getting the cleanest meat you can find-- like, from a local, free-roaming farm where you know the animals are treated naturally and with respect. And of course, just gradually go into it-- don't eat huge steaks and whole chickens everyday. haha

I don't have any advice on what the best meat is for acne, but I'm interested to see what other people have to say!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/18/2013 7:14 pm

Small amounts? Such as in soups. Lamb is onside red to e hypo allergenic

What about eggs?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/18/2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now, I'm trying to get used to the idea of eating meat regularly. I had some bloating after eating turkey yesterday, maybe I should have only eatten half of it instead of the whole thing.

I do regular stir frys with grapeseed oil and veggies (esp. kale and zucchini) and now I added ham because I used to add eggs but I noticed that every time I eat eggs I get some red pimples on my jawline. This happens every time. I tried separating the yolk and the egg white and trying each individually but I still get those red pimples. I was hoping it was a coincidence because I love eggs.

So is lamb considered the best for acne? What about chicken, turkey, and ham?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/18/2013 10:56 pm

The same thing happens to me with eggs!!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/19/2013 8:41 pm

Yeah, it sucks that eggs can cause a reaction because they are a good substitute for meat. I used to have eggs several times a week, but I cut them out of my diet for a while and every time I add them back I get 2 pimples in the same spot! It happens with other foods - I break out next to my mouth with a big cyst if I eat specific types of chocolate (still haven't figured out if all chocolate causes that, but I don't want to risk it), and my mom claims it's not the chocolate, it's the sesame in some chocolates. So it could be that too. I never get those cysts unless I eat a lot of sugar. It's weird how some foods can cause acne in specific spots every time.

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/11/2013 2:18 pm

i was vegan for 4 years and re-introduced animal based foods into my eating routine by selecting wild salmon, sardines, and tuna.

i also eat pasture-raised eggs and ghee

had chicken once or twice.

all of those choices didn't seem to have any significant effect on my skin.

haven't attempted to eat red meat at the moment so i wouldn't be able to offer any suggestions there.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/11/2013 10:31 pm

Thanks...so far, I added ham, chicken, and turkey. I think it's just helping me reduce grains and feel full for longer, I'm not sure if it's adding meat that's helping or whether the meat is just helping me eat less grains. I haven't added red meat yet either. I would have to find a reliable source to get it from, and someone to cook it for me since I can't cook meat!

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/12/2013 7:54 pm

Thanks...so far, I added ham, chicken, and turkey. I think it's just helping me reduce grains and feel full for longer, I'm not sure if it's adding meat that's helping or whether the meat is just helping me eat less grains. I haven't added red meat yet either. I would have to find a reliable source to get it from, and someone to cook it for me since I can't cook meat!

you're welcome. why is it that you can not cook meat?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/13/2013 12:37 pm

you're welcome. why is it that you can not cook meat?

Idk...I always either undercook or overcook meat. I can stir fry ham, but I haven't had too much luck cooking things like turkey burgers, even if I follow the instructions.

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/13/2013 12:54 pm

ohhhh, ok. i understand now.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/13/2013 11:40 pm

Are you cooking your meat relatively dry?

Have a friend who's a great chef, and he is always amazed to watch non-chefs try to cook meat. He says you pretty much always have to use more seasoning and more cooking oil than you think for the meat to taste right. It made a world of difference when I realized I had to kind of saturate the meat in something, if not a marinade, then in oil and/or seasoning, or in a alfredo sauce or something at the end. Most directions tell you only a tablespoon of oil, a dash of pepper, etc. then stick it in the pan...I guess that's not how it really works smile.png

Another tip with meat. You can cut it lengthwise (like a butterfly cut) to see if it's white in the middle (for poultry). For red meat, cut a bit off and see if the juices run clear.

Also, frozen salmon fillets are the easiest thing in the world to cook, even for non-cooks. 350 degree oven, pesto and a ball of butter or ghee or whatever on top, 15-20 minutes. They actually sell that exact mix (salmon with a pesto butter ball on top) in trays at Costco, and it does taste quite good following the directions exactly.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/17/2013 4:31 pm

Thanks! I'm usually cooking pre-cooked meat to be on the safe side, or things like frozen turkey burgers. But no matter how long I grill the turkey, it always tastes raw. I don't know why...maybe I'm getting used to the taste? with fish, I can cook it fine, but for some reason I can't get it right with meat. I'll try the tips you mention next time surprised.gif

Are you cooking your meat relatively dry?

Have a friend who's a great chef, and he is always amazed to watch non-chefs try to cook meat. He says you pretty much always have to use more seasoning and more cooking oil than you think for the meat to taste right. It made a world of difference when I realized I had to kind of saturate the meat in something, if not a marinade, then in oil and/or seasoning, or in a alfredo sauce or something at the end. Most directions tell you only a tablespoon of oil, a dash of pepper, etc. then stick it in the pan...I guess that's not how it really works smile.png

Another tip with meat. You can cut it lengthwise (like a butterfly cut) to see if it's white in the middle (for poultry). For red meat, cut a bit off and see if the juices run clear.

Also, frozen salmon fillets are the easiest thing in the world to cook, even for non-cooks. 350 degree oven, pesto and a ball of butter or ghee or whatever on top, 15-20 minutes. They actually sell that exact mix (salmon with a pesto butter ball on top) in trays at Costco, and it does taste quite good following the directions exactly.