Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sadcaroline

smoothbeam/v beam and fat loss?

i am considering smoothbeam for acne and scarring, an v beam for red marks and dark blueish undereye circles. But i am concerned about fat loss, i have heard it can happen, but im wondering how many of you have experienced this? also, do you guys think its risky having v beam done under my eyes (the circles) due to the skin there being so delicate?

Hi Caroline,

I've only had 2 SB treatments so far and haven't noticed any fat loss. I'd heard that was a potential problem with radiofrequency treatments (thermage and others I can't think of right now) but I hadn't heard that it could happen with SB. Have you heard of fat loss occurring specifically with SB?

Thanks,

Meg

Hi Caroline,

I had 10 SB tx; not only did I see NO improvement but I have since had some fat or collagen loss. I have a two spots approximately 1" diameter that have sunken in slightly; prior to SB there were not scars in these areas---it's kind of strange looking.... eusa_wall.gif With that being said, I am older than most people on this board so I don't know if my age contributes to the poor results of the SB tx.

Hi Caroline,

I had 10 SB tx; not only did I see NO improvement but I have since had some fat or collagen loss.  I have a two spots approximately 1" diameter that have sunken in slightly; prior to SB there were not scars in these areas---it's kind of strange looking.... eusa_wall.gif  With that being said, I am older than most people on this board so I don't know if my age contributes to the poor results of the SB tx.

I had Thermage done a year ago and one of my cheeks seems more sunken in than the other. I know it is not my imagination. I can feel it even with my fingers. BTW...Thermage is a BIG waste of time and money!

As far as I know non-ablative lasers don't reach deep enough into the skin to cause damage to fat. (Fat is actually located underneath the dermis and is very deep.) There are many people who have had serious problems with Thermage, though. sad.gif

wantperfectskin, are you sure nothing else could have caused fat loss such as chemical peels or other treatments, or a viral or other illness? Weight loss?

Hmmm, yeah when you guys say "fat los" is it really obvious I mean does one side really looke sunken? I'm considering v-beam and smoothbeam. I had IPL which helped. it seems odd that fat loos would happen, I also only heard this with thermage. Also, sure it's not just aging. the face gets thinner as we age. I'm just entering my late twenties and even in the past few years my face looks thinner and my weight is pretty consistent.

Check out...Makemeheal.com...

The message boards are full of laser, thermage, smoothbeam etc...

fat loss victims...It would be worth the read.

I had a fat transfer last January...then laser a month later...

I am very sure the laser melted all the fat from the fat transfer...

AND some of the original fat in my cheeks.... sad.gif

Now, my face looks thinner than BEFORE I had the fat transfer...hmmmm.

Hi Ebby,

How old are you?

I believe that the Cool Touch laser caused fat loss in one of my cheeks. It looks sunken in eek.gif . It was not there before. Damn lasers evil.gif .

I am planning on getting fat transfer sometime next year to fill it in. Are you planning to do anything about it?

Smoothbeam does temporarily damage and shrink the oil glands, so maybe that could make some sunken places, and the resulting dryness could also make the skin look worse. I still do not actually understand how it could cause fat loss. I am not saying it couldn't happen, though.

Yep, that was my initial thought also but as time went on, the area began to widen. Now there are few areas and they are about 1-1 1/2" in diameter; almost like someone used a shallow cookie cutter on the area---very strange. Also, my skin was initially dryer after SB but it has since become VERY oily so I know that it didn't destroy the oil gland---go figure, eh?!

Smoothbeam does temporarily damage and shrink the oil glands, so maybe that could make some sunken places, and the resulting dryness could also make the skin look worse. I still do not actually understand how it could cause fat loss. I am not saying it couldn't happen, though.

Ebby-

I have the SAME shallow dents as you described....the dents started to show up a few months after the laser...one of mine even goes in a swirl pattern..AND this is AFTER a fat transfer...the laser melted the fat and caused dents...not pretty.

Of course my doctor denies the laser did this...

yet he wont show me my before pics!!

mad.gif hmmm....he is gonna be sorry.

wow, i just scheduled vbeam for red marks leftover from acne and then saw this post. can vbeam cause fat loss? or is it just smoothbeam, thermage, etc?

Wow this is interesting info. I've had IPl done over the span of 7-10 months and it's been over 6 months since my last IPL and I've had positive results, my scars/discoloration have improved a lot. My scars really did shrink, perhaps because they were still healing and still are. Anyway IPL isn't a laser. I guess it all depends on the individual and the doctor, etc...I'm reconsidering smoothbeam now and may stick with V-Beam or IPL and chemical peels

If anyone has fat loss or any other negative outcome from a medical procedure, they should contact their doctor, the manufacturer or pharmaceutical company, and the FDA or other authorities in their country. There things must be reported and investigated to protect others.

Like I said in a previous post... MakeMeHeal.commessage boards tell a scary story.

The Fat loss posts are not just from one or two people...but perhaps 100's.

Many that had Thermage...saw the procedure on Oprah!

And the show has been re-run at least twice since then..

to pull in more unsuspecting victims..

(I never saw the show..but apparently the instant results were VERY convincing)

I have a feeling My doctor falls in the catagory of Most...Denial and Cover-up.

The machines are very costly ...and ...he wants to get his moneys worth...

Very little is being done at this time by ANY authority...makes me so Angry!

from: http://www.makemeheal.com/forum/viewThread...24&thread=16270

Dear Members,

First, we want to thank everyone for being such great contributors to the Non-surgical Cosmetic Procedures board, as your efforts to educate and support one another is what makes this place great. We created the Non-surgical procedures message board as a forum to discuss the wide variety of procedures on the market that are non-surgical. This is a key segment of the plastic surgery industry that encompasses an ever widening number of procedures with over 100. In recent months, we have received a good number of comments from members on this board saying that there is an overwhelming focus on one particular procedure, namely Thermage. While the messages in themselves are welcomed – be them good or bad – they are causing other members wishing to discuss other procedures to experience some difficulties due to the large amount of messages about Thermage only. This makes this board appear to be a Thermage only board and turns away members who wanted to discuss other procedures. We realize the serious issues being discussed about Thermage and are very sensitized to the experiences and needs of the people who discuss their Thermage experiences. We want your messages to be heard. We also know this has been a place for you to have a platform to communicate with other people about your Thermage experience. In the interest of keeping this message board diverse in its subjects and not one that is about one procedure which may not be of interest to members who do not have any interest in Thermage, we ask you to accept the following compromise to take effect shortly and ask that those of you who wish to discuss everything involving Thermage to use another message board forum which we will create separately shortly. Before we create this new board, we would like you to send us feedback with any recommendations you have for a title for this board and how it may focus on not just Thermage but other procedures.

Please let us know your thoughts, as we will shortly come up with a new forum for those of you wishing to discuss Thermage only.

All our best wishes to everyone for a Happy Holiday Season and positive thoughts to those of you who have had less than a happy experience with Thermage.

All our best,

The Make Me Heal Team

You're welcome. When you paste anything here that starts with http://www] the server automatically adds the url tags. Or you can just press the [http://] button at the top of your post window. In my day we had to do all that manually on our tin cans and string.

Thanks once again OldGuy..for refreshing my memory on the link info.

As for the tin cans and string...I know where you are coming from..

My first pet was a Plesiosaurus Rex...and my ex-husband resembled a Neanderthal.

No..wait...Neanderthals were much MORE handsome....LOL eek.gif

lol.gif Happy Thanksgiving!