Notifications
Clear all

Dry Scalp From Accutane?

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 09/13/2013 10:58 pm

So I have always had a somewhat dry scalp, but it seems to be worse due to being on accutane, even for only a week. What are some good moisturizing conditioners that would help combat the dryness and flakes?

Whats weird is that it really only is dry around my hairlines, like right above my forehead, my back of neck hairline, and my upper side burn area.

I hear olive oil is great so I tried that, but it made my hair feel very oily with the flakes and itchiness still present...plus it was very messy.

I use a conditioner right now, but it seems to not really be doing much...i also only wash my hair every other day.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)
MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 09/14/2013 10:45 am

So I have always had a somewhat dry scalp, but it seems to be worse due to being on accutane, even for only a week. What are some good moisturizing conditioners that would help combat the dryness and flakes?

Whats weird is that it really only is dry around my hairlines, like right above my forehead, my back of neck hairline, and my upper side burn area.

I hear olive oil is great so I tried that, but it made my hair feel very oily with the flakes and itchiness still present...plus it was very messy.

I use a conditioner right now, but it seems to not really be doing much...i also only wash my hair every other day.

My derm prescribed me Nizoral 2% Shampoo, apply and lather once a week only in my case - works wonderfully. No dryness or dandruff at all - currently on my 4th course of tane, 20mg per day - weigh 80kg.

Hope this helps

Rob

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 09/15/2013 6:19 pm

I recently completed a five month course of Accutane and experienced dry, flaky scalp, especially in the beginning. Dandruff shampoos seem to help some people but they didn't help me. I had good results with L'Oreal Power Moisture Hair Mask (it's a really thick conditioner in a green tub), I would also add drops of jojoba oil to it sometimes. When using it, I would apply it to my scalp and leave it in for several minutes before rinsing it out. I never had any problems with it making my hair greasy/oily but Accutane really dried my hair/scalp out. Now that I'm off of it, there's no way I could use such a thick conditioner! Good luck to you!