Notifications
Clear all

Upper Arm Acne

MemberMember
(@naniman)

Posted : 09/13/2013 1:26 am

Hi guys, i have back acne and upper arm but upper arm bothers me more. its the skin itself that looks bad, theres not much pimples, just a lot of very small dots and redness and blemishes. You cant even pop anything because theres no bulky pimples, just marks/blemishes and very small pimples. What could i use to wash because i think a good cleanse would help? Bear in mind, i can take anything you suggest so dont account irritation or dryness in suggestions, just what works best, because i have naturally oily skin. thanks a lot guys :)

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 09/13/2013 2:45 am

What you are talking about isn't actually acne, it is Keratosis Pilaris. No one knows exactly why it happens but for me I have found it reflects the amount of inflammation going on with my skin. If I eat foods I am intolerant to it gets much worse. You can use something with salicylic acid in it which will help slough off the dead skin or manually exfoliate. Consuming healthy oils in my diet also seems to help me.

MemberMember
(@naniman)

Posted : 09/13/2013 5:41 am

I just researched it and it looks similar to mine! Thanks for pointing that out :) I had no idea. I guess you have it too as well? What products do you recommend that would help most?

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 09/14/2013 1:08 pm

I think the best thing to do is not to touch it during the day. So only wash it gently once per day during shower/bath

MemberMember
(@naniman)

Posted : 09/15/2013 6:50 am

I think the best thing to do is not to touch it during the day. So only wash it gently once per day during shower/bath

Yeah mate i have been doing that for months but no improvement :( I guess it is time to try another solution. But no clue where to go..

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 09/15/2013 8:44 am

Yeah mate i have been doing that for months but no improvement sad.png I guess it is time to try another solution. But no clue where to go..

If it is Keratosis Pilaris like the above poster said, then I have no clue either :P Have you been to a dermatologist about it, to see what it actually is (if it isn't acne)?

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 09/15/2013 2:18 pm

There's some credible evidence that coconut oil is effective against Keratosis Pilaris (aka chicken skin, where small skin bumps rise exclusively from hair follicles), a condition that affects 40% of the world, which apparently is the reason why so many people swear by coconut oil. Keep a close eye on on it though, because coconut oil is a prime food source for malassezia yeasts, a seb derm condition that also creates red bumps, but they aren't centered on a hair follicle. If, after using coconut oil for week, you have more red bumps instead of fewer, then switch to Lotrimin Ultra (not Lotrimin AF) and again keep a close eye on it.

MemberMember
(@naniman)

Posted : 09/15/2013 7:49 pm

Yeah mate i have been doing that for months but no improvement :( I guess it is time to try another solution. But no clue where to go..

If it is Keratosis Pilaris like the above poster said, then I have no clue either :P Have you been to a dermatologist about it, to see what it actually is (if it isn't acne)?

Yeah mate I should go to a dermatologist but I have yet to find one that is not ignorant. I'll start looking probably if nothing changes.

There's some credible evidence that coconut oil is effective against Keratosis Pilaris (aka chicken skin, where small skin bumps rise exclusively from hair follicles), a condition that affects 40% of the world, which apparently is the reason why so many people swear by coconut oil. Keep a close eye on on it though, because coconut oil is a prime food source for malassezia yeasts, a seb derm condition that also creates red bumps, but they aren't centered on a hair follicle. If, after using coconut oil for week, you have more red bumps instead of fewer, then switch to Lotrimin Ultra (not Lotrimin AF) and again keep a close eye on it.

That's really interesting thanks a lot. I'll look into coconut oil. I've heard that glycolic acids and retinoids are efficient too? But It seems I'll try coconut oil first :)

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 09/18/2013 8:11 am

Hi guys, i have back acne and upper arm but upper arm bothers me more. its the skin itself that looks bad, theres not much pimples, just a lot of very small dots and redness and blemishes. You cant even pop anything because theres no bulky pimples, just marks/blemishes and very small pimples. What could i use to wash because i think a good cleanse would help? Bear in mind, i can take anything you suggest so dont account irritation or dryness in suggestions, just what works best, because i have naturally oily skin. thanks a lot guys smile.png

If it is Keratosis Pilaris (KP) a lotion that contains urea can help a lot. Can work your way up to a 40% concentration.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/18/2013 9:59 pm

My friend has keratosis pilaris on her upper arms and she does glycolic peels that help her keep it under control.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 10/14/2013 8:28 am

My mum has this and coconut oil applied to the area once a day has worked wonders for it.