Notifications
Clear all

Dose On Accutane To Ensure Remission?

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/12/2013 6:48 am

Ok so I'm really confused. I've heard a lot about this 100mg/kg theory, and that your body weight needs to be addressed in order to start a specific dosage/length of time etc. My dermatologist never mentioned this to me, but it seems to be rather important, as I have noticed that a lot on people on here seem to swear by this rule.

I am taking a second round of Roaccutane and I seriously do not want to be doing this again; I want my acne gone. However, my dermatologist only suggested a 4 month treatment, with 40mg at the highest. According to the 100mg/kg theory, this is not enough in total. It is only 4,440mg in total, but I have worked out that I'll need 5,500kg at least, because I weigh 55kg. Should I go for an extra month (5 months) to ensure this or listen to my derm?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/12/2013 7:03 am

The recommended cumulative dose to minimise the chance of relapse after Accutane is 120-150mg/kg. See pages 20-22 of attached PDF and its references:

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/12/2013 8:23 am

The recommended cumulative dose to minimise the chance of relapse after Accutane is 120-150mg/kg. See pages 20-22 of attached PDF and its references:

So actually, I'll need 6,600mg in total (120 x 55)? This means I'll need to stay on it for 6 months if I stay on 40mg.

Thank you for the PDF, that's very helpful.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 09/12/2013 11:43 am

So actually, I'll need 6,600mg in total (120 x 55)? This means I'll need to stay on it for 6 months if I stay on 40mg.

Hey B,

Yeah pretty much, approx 6 months is standard treatment time - the cumulative recommended dosage is as Biggs said above. You may also be given an extension of say 3 further months if you are not entirely clear - this happened to me the first time I took 'tane all those years ago. It worked, but then I quickly relapsed after treatment. Hopefully you will achieve a permanent remission, but it's not a certainty in any case: I'm on my 4th course right now as you may remember 🙂

Hope you're progressing through the treatment ok

All the best

Rob

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/12/2013 2:37 pm

Hey B,

Yeah pretty much, approx 6 months is standard treatment time - the cumulative recommended dosage is as Biggs said above. You may also be given an extension of say 3 further months if you are not entirely clear - this happened to me the first time I took 'tane all those years ago. It worked, but then I quickly relapsed after treatment. Hopefully you will achieve a permanent remission, but it's not a certainty in any case: I'm on my 4th course right now as you may remember smile.png

Hope you're progressing through the treatment ok

All the best

Rob

Hey Rob! Yeah I assumed so, I had a very haunting feeling that four months would just not cut it. I don't know why my dermatologist is really set on four months?! I'd like to think that he know what he's talking about, but I don't know why I'm seeing so many of these kg theories.

I do remember you mentioning that you're on a fourth low-dose course. How's that going for you? I've been on Roaccutane for over two weeks now, bumped up to 40mg yesterday. I'd rather stay at 40mg and do a longer course than go up to 50mg, cause I can already feel the side effects since bumping up yesterday.

Hope everything is going well for you and good luck with your current course.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/12/2013 5:16 pm

Yep that means that you would need at least 6,600mg in total. But like Samcro said, there is no guarantee of permanent remission. 120-150mg/kg just gives you the best chance.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/331074-blurriness-and-just-feeling-off/?p=3366449

Good luck