Notifications
Clear all

Am I The Only One Who Thinks Picking Helps?

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/11/2013 8:20 am

I know it sounds crazy, but when I get a crazy spot that needs to be pop, I pop it with hot water and pick the head off so that it bleeds and heals so much faster, if I left it it would still be trying to heal, I get that people say it spreads bacteria and leaves scars, but I've never had a bad problem with it.

I am gonna have scars anyway so I may as well pick it off when it needs to, they heal so quick, it's not a nice process in general, and it sucks that I get massive spots like that in the first place, mostly it's around my mouth, so it heals quickly :s and the scars will go eventually when I grow out of puberty anyway..

thoughts?

MemberMember
(@xmiss_behavex)

Posted : 09/11/2013 9:17 am

I'm on the fence. When I have a spot that comes to a head I hate having it on my face so I extract it. It scabs and heals within days and leaves a small red mark which heals with time. I have also had the downside and extracted, the next day a spot appears right next to the healing one so I do agree the bacteria can spread. I however will never allow a yellow or white head to stay on my face.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/11/2013 9:30 am

Yeah exactly the same. If you pop it right with clean hands and clean hot water, I don't find any other spots form because of it,

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 09/11/2013 10:31 am

I guess it depends on the type of person you are. I used to constantly pick and sometimes the spot in question would go away, sometimes it wouldn't. Lots of times, it would just get more irritated and come back stronger than ever. So if anything, popping was short term help for me... not a long term solution.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/11/2013 11:17 am

Suppose it depends on the spot, popping seems like prematurely doing what will happen over like a weeks time in a couple of days.

MemberMember
(@peck)

Posted : 09/11/2013 5:53 pm

Abstaining totally from picking is impossible, and anyone who claims otherwise is either delusional or lacks the necessary limbs to do so. However, from experience, it is good to exercise a degree of self-control. Most people will know instinctively when a spot is 'ready' to be popped.

A hole in your argument though: 'and the scars will go eventually when I grow out of puberty anyway..'

Err no, no they won't. Red marks yes. Actual scars, no. Trust me when I say this, otherwise one day you might regret being so blase..

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/12/2013 1:20 pm

When acne is near enough the surface to pop, it should be treated like any other infection, and lanced and drained.

I think it is an unfortunate idea that has been spread through the acne community, and even to dermatologists, that you should just leave an infection sitting on your face. It will not disappear. A good dermatologist who does extractions will lance the zits and drain them. I think it is more that they don't trust you to do it appropriately, not that it shouldn't be done at all...so they just tell you not to touch it.

Lance, drain, disinfect. Don't lance anything unless you can see the pus.

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/13/2013 4:39 am

Abstaining totally from picking is impossible, and anyone who claims otherwise is either delusional or lacks the necessary limbs to do so. However, from experience, it is good to exercise a degree of self-control. Most people will know instinctively when a spot is 'ready' to be popped.

A hole in your argument though: 'and the scars will go eventually when I grow out of puberty anyway..'

Err no, no they won't. Red marks yes. Actual scars, no. Trust me when I say this, otherwise one day you might regret being so blase..

the skin is able to heal, I have no in dent scars, there are lots of treatments for people with bad scars anyway, my skin luckily heals quickly from marks.

My forehead is entirely clear and I've popped some very angry ones on there, there may be small dots scars, that will eventually go away