Why Did My Extremel...

Notifications
Clear all

Why Did My Extremely Oily Skin Suddenly Become Dry?

MemberMember
(@cosmicunicorn)

Posted : 09/10/2013 2:02 am

I'm 17 and used to have excessively oily skin. I absolutely hated it; my face would turn oily within 20 minutes, and it was the main contributor to my acne. It was so bad that around dinnertime, my eyelids would even start to get greasy. However, I've noticed since last week that my skin seems to have suddenly changed and become dry - in fact I can see it's peeling. When I touch my cheeks they are completely oil free! I can now last a whole school day without having to worry about my face being shiny; the oiliness only starts to kick in around nighttime. The only problem is my nose: it still gets oily during the day but to a lesser extent than before. Why is this drastic change taking place? I'm more than happy about it to be honest rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/10/2013 10:32 am

Could be a lot of things. Hormones, weather (dry, humid), sun exposure, diet, hard to say. I wish that would happen to me lol

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/10/2013 11:34 am

Quite honestly, I'm experiencing something similar. Certaintly not completely dry yet, but there has been a change in my skin.

But I really want to figure out; so I'm keeping a log and I suggest you do the same.

I've got the change narrowed down to a few things:

1) cut 90% of fresh milk out of diet

2) started taking vitamin D

3) working out a little bit less

4) climate change from moving

5) simply getting older

The important thing is to add dates to these observations, and sort of update them every week or so. That way over the course of a month or two you can figure out what is having the biggest influence on your skin based on time-frames and other details.

I do this because I can't see anything worse than accidently erradictating my oily skin, then getting it back because I forgot what I did to promote the change in the first place LOL.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/10/2013 12:49 pm

I never use to drink milk and had oily skin but when I started working out a lot I began to drink a lot and I really saw no change. Now this is just me of course and I do believe milk causes a lot of problems with all the hormones that are in it for some people. I plan to stop drinking milk before I get off Accutane to play it safe. Im really excited to see about me having a Vit D deficiency though especially since you seem to be having improvements with it. Gives me hope after Accutane! lol.

Do you drink Whey protein at all? Again I dont think this is causing it for me but just curious. I dont think I could give it up and still be able to eat enough protein each day lol

Quite honestly, I'm experiencing something similar. Certaintly not completely dry yet, but there has been a change in my skin.

But I really want to figure out; so I'm keeping a log and I suggest you do the same.

I've got the change narrowed down to a few things:

1) cut 90% of fresh milk out of diet

2) started taking vitamin D

3) working out a little bit less

4) climate change from moving

5) simply getting older

The important thing is to add dates to these observations, and sort of update them every week or so. That way over the course of a month or two you can figure out what is having the biggest influence on your skin based on time-frames and other details.

I do this because I can't see anything worse than accidently erradictating my oily skin, then getting it back because I forgot what I did to promote the change in the first place LOL.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/10/2013 2:35 pm

Yes I drink lots of whey protein, probably to the tune of around 175g (that's actual protein, not the weight of the powder) per week. I've been looking into plant proteins and I'm trying out those.

Soy protein may raise HGH because it's very high in a certain amino acid that contributes somehow to HGH production; but rice, pea, hemp, or potato are good options. Plant protein will never be as good as whey in terms of building muscle, but you can get pretty close if you use a plant protein blend. This way the differences in each protein's amino acid profile will round out the mix, making it a complete protein source.

I just found a site that has decent prices, and I ordered a test batch of rice/pea protein mix from them actually.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 09/10/2013 4:23 pm

Your hormones may have finally balanced out and you're growing out of acne.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/12/2013 10:05 pm

I'm 25 and my skin is extremely oily. I've never met another person in my life that has oiler skin than I do. I don't think my acne will ever go away.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 09/13/2013 9:00 am

I'm 25 and my skin is extremely oily. I've never met another person in my life that has oiler skin than I do. I don't think my acne will ever go away.

Im 38 and I concur. Oil city over here. Blot every hour. My acne will never stop because of this. Sigh

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 09/13/2013 1:55 pm

Im 38 and I concur. Oil city over here. Blot every hour. My acne will never stop because of this. Sigh

Acne isn't necessarily caused by oil, so you shouldn't lose hope about finding an acne cure just because of stubborn oily skin. My nose is extremely oily but I've managed to largely keep acne away through diet, exercise, and washing regularly (with water).

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/13/2013 3:17 pm

Acne isn't necessarily caused by oil, so you shouldn't lose hope about finding an acne cure just because of stubborn oily skin. My nose is extremely oily but I've managed to largely keep acne away through diet, exercise, and washing regularly (with water).

Mine is severe. My entire face is slathered in oil, people often stare at me because of it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2013 3:33 pm

Mine is severe. My entire face is slathered in oil, people often stare at me because of it.

100% Crap. On my worst day (and I've seen only a handful of people that had oily skin like me awhile back when it was the worst) it wouldn't look like I "slathered my face in oil" and no one would ever "stare at me because of it."

If you want to moan about your skin and input nothing, head on over to the Emotional and Pshycological Effects forum; that seems to be the default place for people that think their life is over because of their skin.

But don't do it in this thread.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/13/2013 3:39 pm

100% Crap. On my worst day (and I've seen only a handful of people that had oily skin like me awhile back when it was the worst) it wouldn't look like I "slathered my face in oil" and no one would ever "stare at me because of it."

If you want to moan about your skin and input nothing, head on over to the Emotional and Pshycological Effects forum; that seems to be the default place for people that think their life is over because of their skin.

Why did you just randomly attack me? And yes - my skin looks like it's slathered in oil, why would you call me out and say I'm lying? Have you ever met me?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2013 4:27 pm

Why did you just randomly attack me? And yes - my skin looks like it's slathered in oil, why would you call me out and say I'm lying? Have you ever met me?

Attack you????

Who is attacking you??? If you're being attacked, you shouldn't be on the internet; I'd call for emergency services at the very least.

I am saying that if you want to moan and whine about how you think your skin is, make your own thread and do it there.

And you are describing how you perceive it to be; no one stares at people they think are unattractive, but the person often thinks they are being stared at. In fact, the opposite would happen if your skin was truly hideous, people wouldn't want to make eye contact with you and they'd look away.

I am offended by the way you describe your oily skin, and because I at once had it too I know you are exaggerating its severity. Ridiculous comments like "people often stare at me because of it" contribute to the phobia and social distress surrounding oily skin and acne in general. For example, someone with mild acne comes on this site looking for help, reads your comments (and others like it), and then all the sudden thinks they are a freak.

Exaggerations like that are just not helpful for anyone; and if you truly believe that people are staring at you constantly then you too have become overly self-conscious, possibly in part thanks to having read statements like the ones you have just uttered.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/13/2013 5:36 pm

Attack you????

Who is attacking you??? If you're being attacked, you shouldn't be on the internet; I'd call for emergency services at the very least.

I am saying that if you want to moan and whine about how you think your skin is, make your own thread and do it there.

And you are describing how you perceive it to be; no one stares at people they think are unattractive, but the person often thinks they are being stared at. In fact, the opposite would happen if your skin was truly hideous, people wouldn't want to make eye contact with you and they'd look away.

I am offended by the way you describe your oily skin, and because I at once had it too I know you are exaggerating its severity. Ridiculous comments like "people often stare at me because of it" contribute to the phobia and social distress surrounding oily skin and acne in general. For example, someone with mild acne comes on this site looking for help, reads your comments (and others like it), and then all the sudden thinks they are a freak.

Exaggerations like that are just not helpful for anyone; and if you truly believe that people are staring at you constantly then you too have become overly self-conscious, possibly in part thanks to having read statements like the ones you have just uttered.

You have issues.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2013 5:43 pm

Attack you????

You have issues.

LOL great counter-argument

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 09/14/2013 3:11 pm

Guys, calm!!

MemberMember
(@bleedingrose)

Posted : 09/17/2013 11:51 am

Skin produces oil either because your hormones are out of whack or you are dehydrated in some way (it sounds like your skin has become even more dehydrated now). Androgens can be controlled by Saw Palmetto or Peppermint Tea. Dehydration type illness are usually the following, early menopause, underactive thyroid, pituitary/adrenal disorders, systemic sjogren's. Is oily/dry skin your only health problem? What else is your body telling you?