Notifications
Clear all

Was Clear For Six Years, Now I'm Back.

MemberMember
(@starrdusted)

Posted : 09/09/2013 10:47 pm

Hey all!

I used to be on this site constantly back in 2006-2007 when my acne was its worst. I did a crazy amount of trial and error with so many different products, combinations, and regimens. Then I started taking Yaz in October 2007, and that helped become 99% clear. I was so happy to not worry about a face full of pimples, or having to conceal constantly, etc. I would get one pimple here or there, but rarely. It was amazing.

Then I started having serious issues with pain, swelling, and small venous ulcers in my left ankle.. They finally figured out that I have May-Thurner Syndrome (when the left iliac vein is compressed by the right iliac artery) and had developed a blood clot in my pelvis. So, no more hormonal BC for this girl. sad.png

I didn't want the stress of pregnancy scares, so I opted for the Paragard Copper IUD (Most painful experience, but so far so good on the no-baby front *Knocks on wood*). It took months for my hormones to kick back in since I was supplementing them for so long, and now after getting my natural period back, my face is slowly creeping back to the way it was. I'm devastated. I would think I would have skipped past this by now after six years.. I thought maybe I had outgrown it.

I fear it's just wishful thinking that this is just an adjustment and things will go back to normal in a few months. Anyone else ditch the hormones and in the same boat?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/10/2013 12:09 am

Hey all!

I used to be on this site constantly back in 2006-2007 when my acne was its worst. I did a crazy amount of trial and error with so many different products, combinations, and regimens. Then I started taking Yaz in October 2007, and that helped become 99% clear. I was so happy to not worry about a face full of pimples, or having to conceal constantly, etc. I would get one pimple here or there, but rarely. It was amazing.

Then I started having serious issues with pain, swelling, and small venous ulcers in my left ankle.. They finally figured out that I have May-Thurner Syndrome (when the left iliac vein is compressed by the right iliac artery) and had developed a blood clot in my pelvis. So, no more hormonal BC for this girl. sad.png

I didn't want the stress of pregnancy scares, so I opted for the Paragard Copper IUD (Most painful experience, but so far so good on the no-baby front *Knocks on wood*). It took months for my hormones to kick back in since I was supplementing them for so long, and now after getting my natural period back, my face is slowly creeping back to the way it was. I'm devastated. I would think I would have skipped past this by now after six years.. I thought maybe I had outgrown it.

I fear it's just wishful thinking that this is just an adjustment and things will go back to normal in a few months. Anyone else ditch the hormones and in the same boat?

I am also at risk for DVT from hormonal BC, but spironolactone is a safe alternative.

Spiro contains the active ingredient of drospirenone, which is the anti-acne ingredient in Yaz, but none of the hormonal components that will cause you more blood clot problems. I would say it's worth looking into. I applaud anyone who can cure their acne without a medication, but I found that road long and tiring...and unsuccessful.

If you really want "natural", I did write a post a series of posts about natural progesterone cream:

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Also "hearts" wrote a post in this forum called "How I cleared my acne naturally" which you may find useful for the progesterone method.

MemberMember
(@lafille)

Posted : 09/10/2013 3:14 pm

Same boat as you. I started BC pills years ago and had perfect skin the entire time. I stopped about a year and a half ago or so and switched to the Paraguard. I broke out only mildly for the following year, and in the past several months it has gotten much worse... nothing went back to normal for me unfortunately!

I visited the dermatologist less than a month ago and he prescribed atralin (tretinoin), aczone (topical antibiotic), and solodyn (oral antibiotic). They finally seem to be working for my hormonal acne. Also, the clarisonic has been helping for the blackheads I would get around my nose and on my chin.

I'd say if you can, take care of it now and visit a dermatologist before it gets worse and you get as much hyperpigmentation as I have the past couple of months. I'm not trying to worry you at all, but if I could go back in time, I would have seen a dermatologist much sooner!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/10/2013 3:34 pm

For me, antibiotics were just a long frustrating road. I tried every one and the acne always came back. The best treatment I've tried has been spiro. If bc worked for you, most likely spiro will too.

MemberMember
(@fosters12229)

Posted : 09/13/2013 2:05 pm

A while back I was on Yasmine for my Acne, I was on them for about 3 years - cleared up my acne 99%.

2 years ago I decided to drop the BC pills since I didn't need them anymore.

I'm still suffering today.

The first couple of months I had irregular periods, however it got to the point where I didn't have a period for 6 months!

That's where I started breaking out like crazy! My right breast has developed a painful lump that still hasn't gone away and I also get itchy nipples right before my period is due.

It sounds crazy but I blame it all on those crappy pills!

Sadly I live in a country where there is no such thing as a good Dermatologist.

Goodluck and I hope the meds you were prescribed work for good! :)