Notifications
Clear all

45 And Acne For The First Time And Confused About It All

MemberMember
(@shell45)

Posted : 09/09/2013 4:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post. I am happy to have found this place! I have always had a few pimples on my face somewhere since my teen years. Recently however I developed acne all over my face, on my neck, on my upper chest, and even in my nostrils! eusa_think.gif I have seen my family doctor and two dermatologists. I am seeing a third dermatologist later this week. My family doctor gave me a Clindamycin topical solution that burned my skin and made me sick to my stomach a little.

The first dermatologist told me I had rosacea and prescribed Finacea. I used it and it didn't help me even a little. :( I saw my ENT for the pimples in my nostrils and he swabbed my nose and it was normal nasal flora thank God and he said it was just pimples. He gave me some Bactroban for any that hurt a lot. It helps and they come and go quickly. rolleyes.gif

My acne on my face, neck, and upper chest were no better so I just saw a second dermatologist. I liked her but she rushed me through my appointment and didn't answer my questions. She looked at me quickly, told me I have adult acne level 2 from stress and hormones, she had her assistant swab dry ice that smelled terrible all over my face, and she gave me Doxycycline to take for 30 days and a medicine called Epiduo to use. She gave me no instruction as far as things to avoid, things to use, etc. I am truly very lost. huh.png

Is this common to go through a few doctors when trying to get to the right diagnoses? I am unsure if I have rosacea or acne or both. How would one know for sure? My chest flushes a lot and I have had that for years. Now though it has pimples - whiteheads all over it too on top of the flushing it does. Could the flushing be rosacea? Has anyone else taken Doxy and Epiduo with success?

Thank You,

Shell

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 09/09/2013 7:03 pm

The doctor should've tested your hormones. My mom randomly got acne when she was older and never had it before and it was because her hormone levels were out of whack. You can have 'acne rosacea' (Rosacea that causes acne).

MemberMember
(@shell45)

Posted : 09/09/2013 8:43 pm

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate it! I have had my hormones tested by my ob/gyn and I am in perimenopause so perhaps this is what is causing the acne. Maybe it is both acne and rosacea - it will be interesting to see what the third dermatologist says. I just don't know how to treat it and I wish she would have helped more. I think I am going to buy the skin care set this web site sells as it seems like it would help. :)

Take care,

Michelle

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 09/10/2013 1:38 am

Sorry to hear that you've started to break out at such an advanced age (I'm allowed to say that because i'm in my 40's too! :D) As for knowing whether you have rosacea or not, you will soon know once you've started to use epiduo. If it works you don't have rosacea :)

It makes me so mad when I hear about doctors throwing medication at you but not giving full instructions on how to use it. My doctor is amazing, always spends about an hour per appointment and doesn't charge the moon.

When using epiduo, you only apply a small amount (pea size) once a day in the evening, followed by a mild moisturiser. Thats it. You may find your skin goes a bit red and irritated in places while it adjusts to the ingredients (BP mainly) but after a few months your skin should be fully adjusted and you will start to clear up. It does take a good 3-4 months though so you need to be patient and also remember that less is more with epiduo.

Good luck and keep us all posted with your progress. We are all in the same boat here :)