Notifications
Clear all

Diet And Acne

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 09/09/2013 1:04 am

I don't understand how people can say diet and acne are not related. For instance Ive been doing digging on Sebaceous glands and sebum. Of course we all know, Isotret (Accutane) is the only actual studied scientific proof that it does in fact shrink your glands and sebum production. However I was reading up on what sebum is primarily made up of (Wax, Triglycerides, Free fatty acids, Squalene) Information pulled from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_gland

- As you can see the Sebaceous glands pump out sebum which primarily contain TRIGLYCERIDES. (Sebum is made up of 46% of this stuff.) And Triglycerides are - Triglycerides are important to human life and are the main form of fat in the body. When you think of fat developing and being stored in your hips or belly, you're thinking of triglycerides. Consider these things:

Triglycerides are the end product of digesting and breaking down fats in meals. Some triglycerides are made in the body from other energy sources such as carbohydrates.

So with my basic understanding if you were to lower your Triglyceride levels, or cut it out completely (paleo diet ex.) It would decrease or eliminate the Triglycerides within your body. So without triglycerides your body wouldnt be able to produce the 46% ratio of what sebum is made up of i.e Less sebum production. Can someone clarify me if what I understand and interpret is correct?

MemberMember
(@rheks)

Posted : 09/11/2013 8:17 am

Na, I don't entirely agree that diet has a direct correlation to acne.

I believe that obviously if you are eating bad foods, junk foods and lots of suger etc, then it isn't going to help your skin, but I think this only applies when you are going through the stage of acne.

For example when I was 13-14 my skin was completely clear and I ate so much shit, as soon I hit like late 14-15 where I was going through puberty I got spots.

it's just hormones, I don't doubt that some things may effect certain people, like I avoid dairy because it has hormones in it, which at this moment in my life I don't need in my body when my hormones are already imbalanced.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/11/2013 1:36 pm

You can't really cut out triglycerides. Anything with fat in it has triglycerides, including plants. Also, people with perfect skin still have sebum - it's composition is just a little different.

And like you said, our bodies synthesize triglycerides too.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/11/2013 5:30 pm

Topic moved. Please read the forum headings and descriptions before posting. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/12/2013 4:31 pm

You can't really cut out triglycerides. Anything with fat in it has triglycerides, including plants. Also, people with perfect skin still have sebum - it's composition is just a little different.

Your liver makes triglycerides from carbs. Primarily fructose.

Yes. Sebum is an important part of skin function.

Na, I don't entirely agree that diet has a direct correlation to acne.

I believe that obviously if you are eating bad foods, junk foods and lots of suger etc, then it isn't going to help your skin, but I think this only applies when you are going through the stage of acne.

For example when I was 13-14 my skin was completely clear and I ate so much shit, as soon I hit like late 14-15 where I was going through puberty I got spots.

it's just hormones, I don't doubt that some things may effect certain people, like I avoid dairy because it has hormones in it, which at this moment in my life I don't need in my body when my hormones are already imbalanced.

See this thread for a better understanding of sebum and skin function. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/330732-help-your-skin-function-stop-impairing-your-acid-mantle-lipid-barrier-retinoid-production/

And this:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/314390-acne-prone-skinsebum-deficient-in-linoleic-acid-possible-topical-solution/