Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristiana

My Log: Duac and Doxycycline

I am using Duac topical gel at night and taking doxycycline antibiotics twice a day. This is my second prescription treatment, having previously used Differin at night/Clindamycin in the morning. That treatment did not clear me up after three months of doing it religiously. I have mild acne. I hope this will be helpful to people.

Last night, I took one doxycycline tablet and put the Duac on my face. This morning, I took another doxycycline tablet, and I will take another one again after dinner.

I have three small pimples on my face...one on my chin and one on my jaw line and on my temple. The rest are clogged pores, blackheads, mostly on my forehead, and sides of my face. I have a lot of red marks from old pimples on my chin and around my mouth.

It's probaby too soon to post an update, but I will do it anyway. My face feels really tight right after I put on the Duac, but that's normal, or so I hear. I haven't had any problems taking the Doxycycline yet...none of the nausea or burning sensation in my stomach.

I've decided to put a bit of Duac around my hairline during the day, but not on the rest of my face because then I can't move my cheeks! I only put it all over my face at night before I go to bed.

My face looks the same, but that's probably because I only fully started this regime yesterday. More updates to come in the future.

End of Week One:

My face is slightly less oilier than before. I think the Duac is drying out my skin, so I moisturize in the dry patches, like on my cheeks.

Most of the areas that had pimples before I started using this medicine have cleared up, like my cheeks, chin, and forehead. But, I'm getting small tiny pimples on my nose, which I'm going to start putting the Duac on.

This morning, I had a hard red bump, I think it's called a nodule, under my jaw on my right side and another bump under my chin, and a small pimple on my chin, too. They don't bother me much because you can't see them unless I bend my head backwards, since they are under my jawline.

The Doxycycline has been fine. I haven't experienced any adverse reactions to it. I take one in the morning and one at night.

I apply the Duac all over my face at night, and then along my hairline, and on my forehead during the day. The Duac gel tightens up your skin and it's hard to move my mouth if I put it on my chin and around my mouth, so I usually don't do that during the day. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to talk.

End of Week 2:

Most of the clogged pores, blackheads, bumps, etc have disappeared from my forehead and on the sides of my face. When I wash my face, my face feels pretty smooth.

I am starting to get tiny little pimples on my nose, but that's probably because I never put the Duac on my nose before...but I've started putting it on my nose in the last couple of days.

I still have small pimples under my eyes in the area right next to my nose, but those have decreased in number over the past two weeks.

I got two "real" pimples during the past week, but those are resolving already and aren't extremely noticeable.

End of Week Three:

My face is still smooth, with only a few small barely "feel-able" bumps on my cheeks near my hairline. I'm still getting small pimples on my nose, but not as much as last week because I think the Duac is working on it. I have one pimple on my temple, but it is not that noticeable. I had one small pimple on my chin yesterday, but it disappeared overnight.

End of Week 4:

Face is not as smooth as last week. I have more "feel-able" bumps on my upper cheeks, near my hairline. The right side of my face around my mouth and nose has several small papules. I have a small pimple on my forehead also.

I feel like my acne has worsened very slightly during this past week, and I hope this doesn't mean my medicine has stopped working. I hope this is just an "up" in my acne flare cycle that will become less frequent as time goes on.

End of Week 5:

I haven't had any big zits for a while now. My cheeks have a few bumps, but it's better than last week. I have one small pimple right by my nose. It seems like some days I wake up with an itchy red spot on my face, but then I just apply a very cold compress to it for about twenty minutes, three times a day, and the red spot never surfaces as a pimple. I hope that the good results with this new regime will last. I'm hopeful, yet dreading the day the pimples might all come back.

End of Week 6:

Well, I'm in the middle of exams right now, so that might explain the small little bumps that are appearing on the right side of my forehead and the small bump on my cheek. I also didn't get much sleep last night, so that might explain the red little splotch on my nose. Other than that, my skin is still pretty smooth.

End of Week 7:

I'm late in giving my log for Week 7. But anyway, my skin is still pretty smooth, although I did get a small pimple on my cheek and chin, which I iced and they have both gone down considerably.

End of Week 8:

I'm having a small breakout on my left temple near the hairline and a few bumps on my forehead. I think most of this is attributed to the lack of sleep I've had in the last few days. I'm hoping that's the reason. I would hate to think my regime has stopped working for me. I have a derm appointment on Tuesday. It's been about two months since starting this regime, so I want to see what my derm thinks.

End of Week 9:

I had my derm appointment this week, and he's continuing me on the same regime, but he wants me to take one Doryx pill per day, instead of two because of the effects of the sun during the summer and because he wants me to use the pill as a maintenance procedure now that the bad acne is gone.

I told him about the itchy red bumps on my chest, and I thought it was acne, but it turns out it was a hair follicle infection, so he gave me a hydrocortizone cream to put on it twice a day. So far, since using this cream, my chest isn't itchy anymore.

My face is doing okay. I had a breakout along my left hairline again, and it was disconcerting, but it's starting to go away. On my right hairline, I developed two pimples, and I hope they'll go away soon. I'm trying to think of reasons for the breakout on my hairline. I'm thinking it's my hair that keeps touching my face there and depositing extra oil. So, I'm wearing my hair back for a while now.

End of Week 10:

My face is pretty clear. I have the leftover marks from the breakout from last week on my left cheek/hairline, though.

I'm still taking two pills per day. I'll reduce it to one next week.

The stuff on my chest is almost completely gone. The hydrocortizone stuff really worked well on it.

End of Week 11:

I'm still taking two pills per day. I'm just too scared to reduce it because I remember how horrible it was to get breakouts.

My skin is still clear, although I have small bumps on my forehead...about four bumps, but they are not that noticeable at all.

I'm at the point where I don't need to wear skin make-up unless I feel like it. I can go out without concealer and that is such a comforting feeling.

End of Week 12:

I'm still taking two tablets per day. I use Duac gel all over my face at night but just on spots in the morning.

My skin is doing pretty well. I think that if I could cure this insomnia I've been having for the past few weeks, then my skin could look a whole lot better.

Still taking two tablets per day. Duac at night all over and only on problem areas in the morning.

I got a small pimple next to my mouth two days ago. It's very small, though. I also got a small one between my eyes...I HATE those! But, it's slowly fading.

End of Week 14:

My face broke out quite a bit this past week. I got another one between my eyes, one right outside my lip, one on my chin, several bumps under and next to my eyes and some emerging ones on my cheek. This is probably the most broken out I've been since starting my regimen. I hope it doesn't mean that it's not working anymore. I looked to outside factors and realized that it could be because I just started a job this week and I've had to wake up really early for it. SO, maybe my body is adjusting to that. I hope that's the reason!

My regimen is still the same. Two tablets, Duac at night.

Hi. I have been reading your log for the past week. I do Duac in the a.m., Differin in the p.m., and minocycline 100 mg tablet once a day. I am under stress from a new job, too, but yours is newer and I have no doubt your breakouts are related to it. Keep on going and I know things will continue to improve. I am used to having at least one bump on my face at a time for the last 15+ years. I am not 36 and have a worse problem than ever, but I am off the pill for the first time in 18 years, too. Still, you would not think that hormone production would be that high at age 36, but it is! Hang in there.

End of Week 15:

Most of the pimples I got last week have cleared up, although there are still red marks.

I don't like how my face looks red where I put the Duac on. My skin, before all the acne, was very even-toned and milky white. Now, it's looks slightly weathered. But, I'll take a slightly weathered face anyday over a face full of pimples. Maybe once the acne goes away for good (hopefully it will), then I can work on the weathered condition of my face.

End of Week 16:

My skin isn't as red now because I started putting less Duac on my face. I only put a thin layer, as opposed to the thicker layer I used before. I just hope that a thin layer will be as effective as a thick layer.

My chest started to break out again. It's been on-and-off for the past month or so, and I don't think it's a hair follicle infection anymore because I use that cream on my chest every day, twice a day, and it all went away and then came back again. So, I think the spots on my chest are now acne. I've started putting a thin layer of Duac on my chest at night and then using the hair follicle cream in the morning. My next derm appointment is in three and a half weeks, so I'll assess the situation then.

Hi, glad to hear you are hanging in there as am I. I, too, have that weathered look that I never had before the medicine. A little redness, but mostly rough, uneven facial skin. Are you still taking internal meds?

End of Week 17:

I'm still taking two Doryx pill per day, Duac at night. I have incorporated the Neutrogena BlackHead Clearing Astringent into my regimen. It has both salicyclic and glycolic acid in it.

In the mornings, I wash my face with Cetaphil like normal, and then I swipe on some astringent on my nose, forehead, and on the skin next to my nose (that cheek area there). I also put it on my chest.

Then, I moisturize my face and put make-up, and I also put the hydrocortizone cream on my chest.

At night, I wish my face with biore, and then I put on the astringent on my face again and on my chest. Then, I put on Duac on my face and on my chest.

So far, my skin seems better from putting on the astringent, but it's only been like five days since I've been using it, so I'll have to see how it work in the long-run.

This chest acne is really getting on my nerves because it's summertime and I'm embarassed to wear cute summer clothes because they expose the chest area and I have acne on mine! Sometimes it itches, but usually not. That's why I'm thinking its not dermatitis anymore, but actually real acne. My next derm appointment is in like two weeks, so I'll see what he says then.

End of Week 18:

My chest is not better. It is worse. I keep getting more pimples. So, I've stopped using the astringent there. Now, I only use Duac on my chest, morning and night.

My face is good. I have one whitehead on the side of my nose, but that's all.