Notifications
Clear all

Going Au Naturale ?

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 09/08/2013 1:49 pm

So a couple days ago, i decided.....that's it , I'm sick of hiding behind makeup. I'm sick of looking horrible even with it on. My makeup story goes way back when my acne wasn't even existent but as I started developing it and my face started getting worse makeup wasn't doing much anymore. Now I wouldn't even go outside to pick up groceries from the car without a little bit of cover up so that says something about me and my relationship with makeup. I needed it to feel a little more normal. Well I'm not going to make this long(well too long) because thats for another topic but I decided to leave my makeup for good, well hopefully it works out. I want to see if it makes a difference and I just want to stop feeling like I wear a mask everyday. So just wanted to know if any of you would go makeupfree and what is your view on it?,

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 09/08/2013 6:03 pm

bravo! I feel like my makeup binds up the actual me- im not saying a bit of coverup is bad. But i feel personally makeup has brought me confidence- which is weird to say because why should makeup give me the confidence i dont have? The answer i came up with is society oppresses and bullies those who are not perfect or who has a problem and makes it seem that if you dont look a certain way that automatically are judged.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 09/08/2013 6:08 pm

Yes, I would go makeup free. You can try it, and if it makes you too uncomfortable, you can always wear some. I'm sure you don't look horrible with makeup on. Makeup is meant to enhance your natural beauty, so it's nice to embrace your natural self. :)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 09/08/2013 6:27 pm

I love having face with nothing on. I invest in skin care rather than make-up because when my acne was at my worst, the make-up didn't help me look good at all, it just made everything look worse. Maybe it's because I'm no expert on make-up, but since clearing my acne, I've slowly let make-up go as well. I love it. :)

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/08/2013 6:43 pm

I like not wearing anything, but some days I can go out without and some days I can't. I started off small, like going out to get groceries without any on, then went without to uni, and yesterday I went out for breakfast with my bf and his friends without any on! It feels good when people don't treat you any differently when you're not wearing any, I think that's what's convinced me that the world isn't going to end if I go outside with nothing on!

Well done on deciding to giving it up!

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 09/09/2013 12:46 am

Thanks for the replies, I obviously know that some can feel confident in it, and thats how I felt in the beginning but like I mentioned, as my acne got worse it only covered so much and I would get stares either way, I guess some people just get weirded out more by texture lol. I actually am starting these classes every saturday and it's the first class"interaction" I have since graduating HS last year . Went yesterday and I did get some looks since I notice how most people (99%) have flawless skin but it wasn't too bad at all ... well thanks again for your opinions :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/12/2013 1:24 pm

I went for 2 or 3 years rarely wearing makeup because like you, I was just sick of it, and this was when I still had bad, bad acne. I still don't wear it regularly, though now that I am clear, I worry about it a lot less. My skin is far from perfect though, I have lots of scars and pigmentation issues.

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 09/12/2013 5:57 pm

I went for 2 or 3 years rarely wearing makeup because like you, I was just sick of it, and this was when I still had bad, bad acne. I still don't wear it regularly, though now that I am clear, I worry about it a lot less. My skin is far from perfect though, I have lots of scars and pigmentation issues.

Did people give you any crap for it ? It's been a bit tougher for me bc my skin has gotten worse since I was trying zinc for acne, it helped but made me get some health issues(internally) so I stopped and my skin has been breaking out worse and its RIGHT when I stopped wearing makeup , it sucks and I've been going out less but *sigh*

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/09/2013 12:35 pm

yes, i go makeup free every day. it's easy to do once you realize it's not essential. i've been thinking about purchasing a colored lip tint though as i'd like a bit of extra color to my already richly colored face.

MemberMember
(@agentpeach)

Posted : 11/13/2013 4:05 pm

I am truly looking forward to going makeup free. I don't feel confident enough yet in my skin because of scaring from years of acne and dermatillomania.

I know that makeup can't be helping my skin to clear up, but I can't go without it yet. I do my best on the weekends to go makeup free, and that's a good start for me. I work in a fairly formal environment as well, and I feel like without makeup, I look like a child, already being the youngest in the office. But soon, and it's something I'm striving towards.

MemberMember
(@peggysgonetomemphis)

Posted : 11/14/2013 2:29 pm

Well done, I would ditch foundation as it just makes me even more frustrated, but I have a history of being so embarrassed about my skin that I refused to go out unless I had some foundation to hide under. I still feel very self-conscious about my skin as I'm very shy anyway, so I'm not ready to quit makeup yet, despite how much I hate it. I think what you're doing is great, well done :)

MemberMember
(@kamiller1972)

Posted : 11/14/2013 7:07 pm

You are BRAVE! Kudos to you! The only time I go without makeup is when I get home from work. But if I have to go somewhere important (board meetings, church events, etc...) I will redo my makeup, that's how paranoid I am. However, I have been managing to just go makeup free if I need to go to the grocery store or do some small errands...I don't like it, but I know I'm helping my skin in the long run.cool.png

MemberMember
(@peggysgonetomemphis)

Posted : 11/25/2013 11:29 am

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm re-reading it as my skin has completely blown up the last few days, and I want to try going without foundation for a while to see if my skin, particularly my chin which is my problem area, improves at all. I have plans to go shopping tomorrow for Christmas bits with my family, and I really want to go out make-up free, but I never do it and I'm terrified. I think I will bottle it at the last minute and end up putting on my usual gunk. My chin is covered with acne at the moment. :( Everyone who goes out without foundation when they are self-conscious of their acne is amazing, and I really admire you.

MemberMember
(@desiderata)

Posted : 11/29/2013 6:27 pm

Congrats! Makeup free skin really is the way to go but it's just really hard, psychologically, to do. I always feel like people are judging me or looking down upon me when I go out without a full mask of concealer/foundation...

Tell us how it goes! :)

MemberMember
(@agentemily)

Posted : 12/16/2013 5:16 am

It's a good choice, I've been going au naturale for about three years now and my skin has thanked me. I have a lot of acne still but not as many cysts and my skin is baby soft in places. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/16/2013 6:08 pm

I go without makeup fairly frequently. Nobody seems to care particularly. I think it mostly acts as a confidence boost for me.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 12/29/2013 3:13 pm

I'm generally not a foundation lover. I hate the feeling of it. But I will use it as needed for covering blemishes, redness, splotchiness, etc. Otherwise I love doing the rest of my face. I love different blushes depending on the season, highlighters for a nice glow, experimenting with different eye looks, and lipsticks are my addiction. But that's just me.

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 01/07/2014 12:30 am

I always go to the shops/gym makeup free! I don't care. Smile, stand tall, fake the confidence if you have to. Trust me, it makes it way less noticeable to everyone else.

MemberMember
(@msteff)

Posted : 01/11/2014 6:29 pm

Last year was my first year time going make up free in a really long time. I've been struggling with acne for almost 6 years now and I got fed up having to wear foundation everywhere, I mean everywhere I went. So I started small and went make up free to the grocery store and to eat with family. I still use make up for work. But now I'm much more comfortable without it. It's so hard to do trust me I felt like everyone was staring at me. My skin is still far from perfect but it's clear minus those pesky hyperpigmentation scars. I think not wearing make up has actually helped my skin. I now wear make up when I really want to and go au natural when I want to. It's truly liberating. Those who have never struggled with acne will never now the feeling.

Good luck to all of you who are facing up to the challenge!!

MemberMember
(@in2out)

Posted : 01/22/2014 12:29 pm

I totally understand. After one year battling cystic acne ive been left with a lot of hyperpigmentation. My face is pretty clear texture-wise but i feel like i look much better with makeup. So for school i make sure i wear makeup mainly because i feel selfconscious of what my peers will think but i can go without makeup to the gym, grocery store, work etc. but i must wear makeup to school weird i know lol.

Im proud of everyone who has the courage to do this :)

MemberMember
(@peggy1994)

Posted : 02/02/2014 7:28 pm

I stopped wearing makeup right before the holidays and honestly, I'm so glad I did. My skin is far from perfect yet; I have scars and I still break out with a few bumps every once in a while. But I'm still working on it! I think that since I've stopped covering my face in foundation every day, my skin has been allowed to breathe and heal properly. It's hard, I know. I get self-conscious every day. But I'm seeing a difference in my skin as a result of cutting makeup, and so I'm willing to endure the little bit of anxiety I get when I step outside au naturale. Plus, the amount of time I spend in the bathroom now has been cut in half since I don't stand in front of the mirror masking my face anymore, so that's a bonus too! Just stick it through and I'm sure you'll start seeing a difference soon enough!

MemberMember
(@daizrose)

Posted : 02/20/2014 3:15 pm

Hiya, i would love to go make-up free (by this i mean foundation) but i only manage to in the summer when my skin clears up a little/i have a tan.

I could by no means go to uni or work without makeup i dont think people would even recognise me and it just feels all greasy and stuff without it and im more likely to touch my face.

Despite this, wearing heavy foundation is a real pain because of the time it takes to put on and take off. i dont think it makes my skin worse though because it makes a barrier between by skin and the air which, in london, is filthy and makes my skin worse when going 'au naturel'

Strange ay!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2014 8:34 am

I like my light coating of mineral powder with zinc. (I just noticed in my recent shopping around that many brands don't have it and the one I've been using has changed) It's beneficial and you can't feel it.

I think what's even more beneficial is to o au natural when it comes to cleansers as they impair skin function. It strips away lipids from skin that produce enzymes involved in exfoliation. And changes the PH of skin which iprotects skin from microbes and must be just right for those enzymes to function. Amongst many other things.

I've used only water with oil cleansing to remove makeup for a couple of years now, and my skin is amazing. It startles me nearly every day how soft my skin is.

MemberMember
(@dari-elle)

Posted : 03/06/2014 4:25 pm

I've been thinking about doing the same but i've gotten so accustomed to hiding behind makeup that i won't dare leave the house without my mask on. Kudos to you for gaining some self confidence back, only hope I could do the same..

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 03/06/2014 11:27 pm

I just realized I never gave a straight up reply , well update on this lol. I went makeup-free... for two months. LONGEST two months of my life. Funny enough I started weekly ceramics classes and they were hell to go to but surprisingly I went, Somedays I would feel like a freak but others,I was thankfully fine. Didn't see much difference in my acne either, I gave up makeup because I was just done, I didn't care anymore. I thought I would then be close to clear skin for good but it was not what I expected. I hid as much of my skin in hair, not like the hairy midget from the adams family though(forgot the name). Don't know whwere I'm headed with this but yeah I learned stuff I guess from it , I just want to help my scarring and acne in genneral as much as possible, not have the most perfect crystal clear type of skin but clearish enough to just be comfortable without stupid paint on my face. I know I need confidence but it'd be much easier if I didn't have any crap on my face....I also learned that some people are just really nice and not shallow, wish everyone was like that.