Notifications
Clear all

What Caused Your Acne To Scar?

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 09/07/2013 4:23 am

I'm conducting a survey to see what caused your acne to scar. To specifically see if any particular medication caused the scarring, or whether the scar became a scar because the acne was left untreated.

If you would like to donate your experience, please answer with the following questions and attach photos if you wish...

- what type of scarring do you have: (rolling scars, box scars, ice pick scars)

- did you treat your active acne with medication? If so, what medication did you use? Did the use of medication result in acne scars?

- if you did not treat your active acne, please specify that you had no treatment.

- and / or what would you say caused your acne to develop into an indented scar? (Example: sun exposure, medication, no medication, or other conclusions you may have).

MemberMember
(@charlie700)

Posted : 09/07/2013 4:52 am

-- all types (but much improved by needling, rolling, and stamping since 2011)

-- retin-a, OTC salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide

As for the last question, I have cystic acne and i don't know what causes some acne to scar while others do not. Ive had acne cysts that throb and ache to be released leave no scars when ive extracted them when theyre ready to go. They healed fast once the infection and clog is removed and leave no scar.

Then there are times when ive left a cyst alone, not picking or touching, and I've ended up with indented scars. Case in point: One of my largest indented scars was roughly the size of a dime on my cheek and was the souvenir of a cyst that started as a little blackhead. I didn't pick at it when it was a blackhead because common wisdom says picking at your skin will lead to scarring/spread of infection. it grew into a cyst, which was annoying, but I resolved to let it heal on its own. The regular size cyst didn't get better. Somehow the infection spread to unblemished skin nearby and it became a super-cyst that was nickel-sized and felt tender and sore. That cyst stayed on my face for over a month and the pus and infection seeped out on its own one night when I was washing my face. I was left with the aforementioned large dent.

I'm not advocating skin picking, which for me has been more about emotional release than helping my skin (ie, picking at pimples that are not ready to be extracted because I'm frustrated and sad). From my own experience, purposeful extractions of some pimples have helped.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 09/07/2013 6:50 pm

My Tzone just sucks at healing. And by that I mean I never picked at my acne it just scarred. But has improoved with a change in diet.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 09/07/2013 11:42 pm

Accutane. I never got scars before accutane. I used to be able to pop huge cysts without scarring and now if I even pick at a small white head or clogged pore I run the risk of scarring. Other parts of my body also don't heal as well since accutane. For example, if I get a bad enough blister on my foot from heels it might scar, but that never happened before.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/08/2013 12:15 am

It's all about how your skin heals; it's 80% genetics. I've had terrible acne at various points of my life but my skin has next to no scars.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/08/2013 1:16 am

Laser. Made my skin sensitive and now I scar pretty easily.

MemberMember
(@intrepidjules)

Posted : 09/12/2013 4:31 am

- what type of scarring do you have: (rolling scars, box scars, ice pick scars)

rolling scars and box scars

- did you treat your active acne with medication? If so, what medication did you use? Did the use of medication result in acne scars?

I did everything from anti-androgen medication and contraceptive pills to acupuncture and herbal remedies.

- and / or what would you say caused your acne to develop into an indented scar? (Example: sun exposure, medication, no medication, or other conclusions you may have).

PICKING! My most shameful habit. I do it without realising sometimes. Also, having PCOS and the resulting hormonal imbalance caused my thyroid function to slow, which meant that wounds took longer to heal. Exacerbated by picking.

MemberMember
(@u1971)

Posted : 09/13/2013 1:20 am

- what type of scarring do you have: rolling scars, ice pick scars and some box scars

- did you treat your active acne with medication? No, I didn't

- and / or what would you say caused your acne to develop into an indented scar? My acne tended to leave a scar when two pimples appeared on the same spot in a short period of time. The skin didn't have enough time to heal completely from the first pimple and a second one was formed at the same place. Even very small pimples left (small) scars.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2013 2:46 am

i think i got everything... i have a redness all over my face. and its getting red everytime, even theres a sun or not.

i was go to the doctor and use much kind of medicine. anyway i ever got laser treatment but it didnt work at all.

because i had my first acne when i was 11 and now im 18... i think what causing acne scars is facial and picking you acne.

i dont know but before i done facial my skin is not like this, at least i just have 1-8 acne...

but in order to make my skin clear, facial is cheaper than microdermabration and etc... so, i go to dermatolog, facial every month....

and now im more than look like a monster with this acne scars.

i mean, not everyone feel better after facial. just like me, for me i will never ever forever come to the facial room.

so, what im doing now and next time is just let the acne out by it self. no more pick.

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 09/14/2013 6:37 pm

-I have all kinds of scarring.

-peels, tazorac, copper peptides, vitamin C serum

-I have to agree that it's genetic. My skin has always been thin and delicate. I can scar from a cut that doesn't bleed. It's super frustrating. Of course, I don't have any loose skin, even if I were to gain and lose 100 pounds I wouldn't get loose skin.

My ice pick and boxcar scars I believe came from picking or extracting blackheads incorrectly. The rolling scars were from cystic, nodular acne.