Notifications
Clear all

Another Vitamin D Success Story (In Progress!)

MemberMember
(@2muchacne2littletime)

Posted : 09/06/2013 10:39 am

After the absolute worst breakout in my life and feeling extremely hopeless (after being clear for the first time since I was 12...grrrr), I discovered vitamin D from one of the posts on this forum. I started that about...3 weeks ago? So here's a pic of me from 3 weeks ago vs like 2 days ago. Both are with the same makeup on...I couldn't bare to show my skin without it. Blah. Anyway, vitamin D is cheap and definitely worth a shot.

image.jpg

And if anyone has any awesome scar remedies, that'd be....awesome. Lol. The scars from this stupid breakout are super deep.... :/

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 09/06/2013 12:44 pm

Did you take vitamin D3?

What was your dosage?

MemberMember
(@2muchacne2littletime)

Posted : 09/06/2013 1:45 pm

Yes! D3. 6,000 iu per day, but just bumped it up to 10,000 iu and have noticed a significant decrease in oil production. Sorry left that important part out!

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 09/06/2013 4:39 pm

Yes! D3. 6,000 iu per day, but just bumped it up to 10,000 iu and have noticed a significant decrease in oil production. Sorry left that important part out!

Thanks....and bout those deep scars no cream or topicals would restore your skin back .

I'm thinking about trying dermastamp in a near future as I have scars here n there.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 09/07/2013 1:52 pm

6,000 and 10,000 iu seems quite a lot. Is that safe? I've been doing 2,000 a day for about a week or so.

Also, have you had problems with oily skin and if so, have vitamin d helped?

Thanks and great progress.

MemberMember
(@2muchacne2littletime)

Posted : 09/10/2013 11:01 am

6,000 and 10,000 iu seems quite a lot. Is that safe? I've been doing 2,000 a day for about a week or so.

Yep it's definitely helped tremendously with oil. I used to have to blot a LOT with or without makeup on, and now I don't (maybe once as opposed to 5 or 6 times a day). I've read that too much vitamin d3 can be harmful, but only if 40,000+ IU per day is taken for 3 months or more. You'd see some side effects during that time, as well (tiredness, nausea, headaches, and some other things). But from everything I'm reason, 10,000 IU seems to be pretty safe. That's the general consensus anyway.

Thank you! i need to take a new picture today because my face has improved a lot since last week!

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 09/10/2013 12:52 pm

Yep it's definitely helped tremendously with oil. I used to have to blot a LOT with or without makeup on, and now I don't (maybe once as opposed to 5 or 6 times a day). I've read that too much vitamin d3 can be harmful, but only if 40,000+ IU per day is taken for 3 months or more. You'd see some side effects during that time, as well (tiredness, nausea, headaches, and some other things). But from everything I'm reason, 10,000 IU seems to be pretty safe. That's the general consensus anyway.

Thank you! i need to take a new picture today because my face has improved a lot since last week!

Thanks so much for the taking the time to reply. It was very helpful. I think I will try going up to 6000 IU and then a week or two after I'll think about bumping it up more. My complexion is quite bad and i have a lot of blackheads and large pores which i think is mainly to do with oil. Throughout the day the oil gets really bad. I look forward to seeing the progress in your next picture :)

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 09/15/2013 11:28 am

Any update on a new picture? I'm now doing 6,000 IU a day.

MemberMember
(@gouldbergvariations)

Posted : 09/15/2013 5:43 pm

A demonstration of you not knowing about proper dosing of vitamins, yet you make statements of such knowledge in other threads. Please put your ego aside and accept the facts.

Vitamin D safety

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10232622

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18844846

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 09/16/2013 12:54 pm

Great, i also noticed improovement in my acne by getting by getting more natural vitamin d (sun exposure). What will you be doing regarding your scars?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/17/2013 12:12 am

Guys, that's too much Vitamin D if you don't have a deficiency. The official government recognized upper tolerable limit is 4000 IU per day, anything higher than this dose and it could cause problems in certain people.

Many get confused on the maximum dose because they read things like "your body makes 40,000 IU from 30 min in the sun" or something similar. The difference is your body will down regulate any excess vitamin D gotten from the sun (it just neutralizes it somehow) so those high levels are not harmful. Now when you take a supplement, your body processes ALL of it without regard to the quantity.

Just to put it in perspective, I was diagnosed as vitamin d deficient through a blood test and my doctor told me not to take more than 3500 IU per day. Just be careful with those really high doses; there's not a lot of research on doses that high so you are taking a gamble.

MemberMember
(@plumpcaboose)

Posted : 09/17/2013 10:49 am

Guys, that's too much Vitamin D if you don't have a deficiency. The official government recognized upper tolerable limit is 4000 IU per day, anything higher than this dose and it could cause problems in certain people.

Many get confused on the maximum dose because they read things like "your body makes 40,000 IU from 30 min in the sun" or something similar. The difference is your body will down regulate any excess vitamin D gotten from the sun (it just neutralizes it somehow) so those high levels are not harmful. Now when you take a supplement, your body processes ALL of it without regard to the quantity.

Just to put it in perspective, I was diagnosed as vitamin d deficient through a blood test and my doctor told me not to take more than 3500 IU per day. Just be careful with those really high doses; there's not a lot of research on doses that high so you are taking a gamble.

The Vitamin D Council website states that 5000 IU per day is the recommended safe amount for adults and 10,000 IU per day is the upper limit if you're severely deficient.

Vitamin D is fat-soluble, which means your body has a hard time getting rid of it if you take too much. The Vitamin D Council recommends taking no more than the upper limit, meaning do not take anymore than 10,000 IU/day for adults.

Furthermore, various brands of Vitamin D tablets state that 5,000 IU daily is fine. So 6000 IU shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't take it for 3+ months.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/17/2013 11:29 am

Ms, you do understand what the Vitamin D Council is right? It as an organization designed entirely to promote the use of Vitamin D. Their recommendations are only loosely based on research, and it is counted as a credible source by only a few in the medical field. Ask you doctor, or go onto the national institute of health website (search NIH or FDA in google) and see what they say.

It's like asking a company trying to sell/promote apples how many apples you should eat per day. Do you think you're going to get an accurate, unbiased answer LOL?

Fantastic username by the way :)

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 09/17/2013 1:39 pm

nice. i found 6 months ago that vitamin D was used in a study in the 1930s and cleared 70% of patients from acne after 4 months. hopefully you were reading my study but a few other people have seen that too. I took D3 10000 iu a day as well and tested hypertoxic after 2 months at 118. now i only take 2000. watch out! congratz on it clearing you

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/17/2013 4:03 pm

nice. i found 6 months ago that vitamin D was used in a study in the 1930s and cleared 70% of patients from acne after 4 months. hopefully you were reading my study but a few other people have seen that too. I took D3 10000 iu a day as well and tested hypertoxic after 2 months at 118. now i only take 2000. watch out! congratz on it clearing you

Bingo.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/17/2013 9:54 pm

You were tested hypertoxic?? What was your level before supplementing?

My level is 28, and the doctor put me on 100,000 IU (yes, that's right) of prescription D2 per week for 2 months, with a 3rd refill after that if needed. Should I be worried? So far, it has helped a lot with depression and a bit with skin texture, and I have been taking it for 1.5 months.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/17/2013 10:42 pm

My level is 28, and the doctor put me on 100,000 IU (yes, that's right) of prescription D2 per week for 2 months, with a 3rd refill after that if needed. Should I be worried? So far, it has helped a lot with depression and a bit with skin texture, and I have been taking it for 1.5 months.

Note that he put you on D2, not D3. D2 is not absorbed near as well by the body as D3 is and therefore less potent at similar doses; but for whatever reason all prescription vitamin d is in the D2 form. That dose of D2 is fine for short periods of time (few months) if you have a diagnosed deficiency. That much D3 though for longer than a few weeks would be very bad LOL.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/17/2013 10:55 pm

Note that he put you on D2, not D3. D2 is not absorbed near as well by the body as D3 is and therefore less potent at similar doses; but for whatever reason all prescription vitamin d is in the D2 form. That dose of D2 is fine for short periods of time (few months) if you have a diagnosed deficiency. That much D3 though for longer than a few weeks would be very bad LOL.

I thought prescription D2 can be more toxic though, especially since it's synthetic. So far, though, I'm tolerating it much better than D3 supplements, possibly because it's the plant-based rather than the lanolin-based form. I think both my D2 and D3 levels are low, but the doctor only gave me the cumulative level which was 28. Will taking D2 also correct my D3 deficiency? that's what I'm worried about, that it won't raise my D3 levels enough, just the D2.

But yeah, for depression and anxiety it has done wonders!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/18/2013 8:47 am

D2 and D3 are different forms of the same vitamin, once they are ingested they are turned into vitamin D; so you wouldn't have to worry about D2 vs D3 levels because there is only D to measure. It doesn't work like the B vitamins do, where B5 is a different vitamin from B6; D3=D2=D once inside the body.

Glad it's working well for you :)

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 09/18/2013 11:46 am

A demonstration of you not knowing about proper dosing of vitamins, yet you make statements of such knowledge in other threads. Please put your ego aside and accept the facts.

Vitamin D safety

Ugh.

Leave me alone, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing anything. I was just trying to help.

We're all here because of acne problems and we're all trying to help each other.

Please, just stop.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 09/19/2013 2:59 pm

yes. my level was 10 before. i was on 60000 iu vitamin d2 but it only raised it to 23 after 3 months so i switched to d3 which is way more effective

Vitamin D safety

Ugh.

Leave me alone, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing anything. I was just trying to help.

We're all here because of acne problems and we're all trying to help each other.

Please, just stop.

i second this. this person is trying to help and you are just pissing all over their party

I thought prescription D2 can be more toxic though, especially since it's synthetic. So far, though, I'm tolerating it much better than D3 supplements, possibly because it's the plant-based rather than the lanolin-based form. I think both my D2 and D3 levels are low, but the doctor only gave me the cumulative level which was 28. Will taking D2 also correct my D3 deficiency? that's what I'm worried about, that it won't raise my D3 levels enough, just the D2.

But yeah, for depression and anxiety it has done wonders!

dont worry. just keep getting tested often and you will be fine

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 10/18/2013 2:30 am

my level before suplementing was 10. I think that the D2 will be fine. sorry i respond to this so late.