Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin And Jaundice?

MemberMember
(@conabb)

Posted : 09/05/2013 3:35 pm

I was on 30mg of isotretinoin daily for one month, then a week and a half ago doubled my dose to 60mg a day. In my first month i had the standard nose bleeds, dry skin, aches, etc but recently ive been extremely fatigued and just noticed the bottom of my eyeballs going yellow, i thought i was seeing things till my dad noticed too. i am wondering could this be jaundice or a problem with my liver as im reading mixed articles on the internet saying its i) poisonous to the liver or ii)a myth that it can effect the liver. Its worrying and dont know what to do :(

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 09/05/2013 5:29 pm

I was on 30mg of isotretinoin daily for one month, then a week and a half ago doubled my dose to 60mg a day. In my first month i had the standard nose bleeds, dry skin, aches, etc but recently ive been extremely fatigued and just noticed the bottom of my eyeballs going yellow, i thought i was seeing things till my dad noticed too. i am wondering could this be jaundice or a problem with my liver as im reading mixed articles on the internet saying its i) poisonous to the liver or ii)a myth that it can effect the liver. Its worrying and dont know what to do sad.png

Hey there,

Not to worry, this is a common side effect and can easily be remedied with some good eye drops, I personally use 'redness and eye irritation relief' by murine. Also stay well rested and hydrated obviously. I personally have had this with all my isotretinoin treatments, currently on my 4th course over 10 year period - drops work great.

If you are overly worried then contact your derm for peace of mind.

All the best

Rob

MemberMember
(@conabb)

Posted : 09/05/2013 6:48 pm

I was on 30mg of isotretinoin daily for one month, then a week and a half ago doubled my dose to 60mg a day. In my first month i had the standard nose bleeds, dry skin, aches, etc but recently ive been extremely fatigued and just noticed the bottom of my eyeballs going yellow, i thought i was seeing things till my dad noticed too. i am wondering could this be jaundice or a problem with my liver as im reading mixed articles on the internet saying its i) poisonous to the liver or ii)a myth that it can effect the liver. Its worrying and dont know what to do sad.png

Hey there,

Not to worry, this is a common side effect and can easily be remedied with some good eye drops, I personally use 'redness and eye irritation relief' by murine. Also stay well rested and hydrated obviously. I personally have had this with all my isotretinoin treatments, currently on my 4th course over 10 year period - drops work great.

All the best

Rob

thanks a lot, i was worried and this has helped il go get some eye drops as soon as possible, thanks again

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/05/2013 7:01 pm

If you actually have jaundice (yellowish pigmentation of the skin) that is serious and you should tell your Dermatologist ASAP.

oli girl liked
MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 09/06/2013 3:24 am

Hey there,

All the best

Rob

thanks a lot, i was worried and this has helped il go get some eye drops as soon as possible, thanks again

No problem,

If it does begin to affect your vision, despite the drops, simply come off the meds for a few days and then resume when you feel you're back to normal. Happened to me dozens of times; it doesn't affect the success of your treatment, merely extends it if you come off for a few days. I also recently had an optician appointment and have perfect 20/20 vision despite over 10 years of isotretinoin, so don't fret.

As Biggs says above though, if you're skin is turning noticably yellow too then yes, go to your doctor asap.

Regards

Rob