Notifications
Clear all

Pantothenic Acid! Anyone Tried It? Any Hair Loss? Please Help....

MemberMember
(@gem84)

Posted : 09/05/2013 11:29 am

Hi All, I am wondering whether to buy this but am worried incase me hair falls out. Seen loads a good reviews on it curing acne and reducing the sebum etc. But couldn't handle my hair falling out.....I wouldn't know whats worse. Please direct me elsewhere is I am missing a post on this! Gem

MemberMember
(@damnitgoaway)

Posted : 09/06/2013 3:13 am

Ive tried it, was taking a mega dose, did nothing for my skin and no hair loss :)

MemberMember
(@gem84)

Posted : 09/06/2013 11:57 am

Shame on the lack of effect on your acne but glad you kept your hair ha. Thanks for reply. Gem

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 09/06/2013 12:41 pm

I took b5 for about 6 months at 9 grams per day

It clear me up after a month no zits no oil..

I lower my dose to 1 gram daily. Oil has return but no acne .. I'm now taking vitamin D3 for oil mainly is been 2 weeks and it has slow down a bit like it would take longer to get oily but eventually it gets there.

MemberMember
(@gem84)

Posted : 09/06/2013 2:33 pm

"Nakedsmurf" thank you!!! Any hair loss?

"Nakedsmurf" thank you!!! Any hair loss?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 09/06/2013 4:37 pm

No hairloss but I think it made my hair brown to a lighter brown.

MemberMember
(@gem84)

Posted : 09/06/2013 5:59 pm

Brilliant - I might go for it and stick to a safe dosage. What strentgh did you have?

Oh you said 9 grams sorry.....that's a lot isn't it?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 09/06/2013 6:13 pm

Yea but everyone is different 1 to 5 grams might b enough for you is something you have to figure it out.

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 09/07/2013 8:29 pm

My 2 teenage sons took B5 for their mild to moderate acne for about 6 months, at a lower dose of 500 mg - 1 g per day. It helped with their acne and they didn't seem to have any side effects and didn't notice any hair loss. But one day I noticed a very small bald spot in the back of my older son's head. I had them immediately stop the B5. The hair did grow back, but he has short hair so it didn't take very long. Also, I was afraid their acne would worsen after stopping the B5, but it never really did thank goodness.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/07/2013 10:47 pm

Hi All, I am wondering whether to buy this but am worried incase me hair falls out. Seen loads a good reviews on it curing acne and reducing the sebum etc. But couldn't handle my hair falling out.....I wouldn't know whats worse. Please direct me elsewhere is I am missing a post on this! Gem

Hi, I've done a lot of research on it and it's not worth it. People need to use at least 1-4 grams a day to see results, and while it does work, most people at some point do have some hair loss. The exact reason for this is unknown, but the mechanism I hear most often (and what I believe) is that some ingredient/chemical used to bind the B5 in the pill will build up to toxic levels if taken at high doses for long periods of time. The amount of this chemical is supposedly proportional to the dose of B5, so that's why low doses of B5 are fine. It's not B5 toxicity but a toxicity of some unidentified additional ingredient present in most B5 supplements.

Anything over 500 mg for longer than a few days can begin to cause problems though. It seems that most people do re-grow any lost hair, but sometimes the toxicity takes a while to drop so it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before your hair would begin to come in again.

You can search the forums as well; there are several long threads about groups of people that experienced hairloss from B5 and were trying to find ways to speed up the hair re-growth process. The previous poster "nakedsmurf" is actually in the minority, and in one of those threads he was actually asked by the other members to stop promoting B5 megadosing because it can be dangerous. I read all the threads because I too considered taking B5 at some point.

You have such pretty red/brown hair, you wouldn't want to lose it! I'd look into zinc or Vitamin D, they're the only supplements that I'd deem safe at the required dose and possibly effective at reducing oil production. If neither of those work, as a woman saw palmetto might be a good option to look at (men shouldn't take it though so I have no experience with it).

MemberMember
(@gem84)

Posted : 09/08/2013 7:17 am

Awww thanks "CBIOT13" yeh after thinking about it I dont think ill go for it. I have been taking Saw Palmetto for about a month. .....which is good for me because I have a high male homone. Just waiting for results but may take a while .

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 09/08/2013 9:11 am

I took b5 with amazing results. Cleared me right up! However I was taking 5 grams a day. I would advise a mega-dose for 2-3 weeks and then lower your dosage to 1g to 500mg

I forgot to mention that my hair started falling out! I was one of the lucky one's who's hair came back, but there have been reports of those who's hair started falling out and it never stopped. I switched my shampoo to one meant for dry hair and I stopped all B5 and the hair came back. I believe B5 also reroutes DHT, so, taking this in high volumes can and will cause hairloss. You will need a higher amount to level out the inherent deficit you have (mainly for you to experience a small purge) and then lower your dosage after the purge.