Notifications
Clear all

Don't Give Up On Spiro

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 09/05/2013 1:53 am

It has been about 2 months since I started taking Spironolactone and I'm very happy to report that my skin is almost completely clear. (about 98%) I still have a few persistent pimples that are taking their time going away but they are. The hyper-pigmentation is slowly healing and I think it will be a while before that clears. I have scars on my forehead (cystic acne) which are fading a bit too. (although I think they will always be there, just gradually less noticeable over time)

Also, my rosacea seems to be clearing up, which really pleases me. My colleagues at work have commented on how clear my skin has become. cheer.gif

My skin and hair have become less oily which is a nice change.

My acne was moderate, concentrated primarily on my chin area and fortunately, the side effects have been minimal for me.

I was really tired for a few days but I changed how I took the medication (2 x 25mg twice a day vs. 1 x 25 four times a day) and kept hydrated. I haven't experienced any hair loss; in fact, I'm shedding less hair than before I started taking spiro!

I was definitely concerned about my menstrual cycle and so far, I'm still getting my periods each month, although the days between cycles have gotten a bit shorter. (hopefully that will work itself out in the next while)

I've also lost weight too! I'm not sure if it's because this drug is a diuretic but it could also be that I'm watching what I eat and spending time on the treadmill on a regular basis.

I am relieved that my body seems to be tolerating spiro this well.

I'm getting blood work tomorrow to check my potassium levels (I had blood work done shortly after I started taking this drug and I was fine) and I hope all will be fine there.

fyi, I'm in perimenopause which brought on my acne. Now to convince my doctor(s) to continue prescribing the drug for me as I'm dead certain that if I stop taking it, the acne will be back. My doctor has suggested taking Yasmin or Diane35 once I'm clear and going off spiro. I'm not thrilled with that as I don't like the risks associated with these OC's. (then again, spiro has its own risks too)

This is one scenario where I'll need to really advocate for my own health.

I'm on 100 mg/day which is the right dose for me (I definitely started seeing results once I upped my dose to 100 mg).

So for those of you who have just started taking spiro or have been taking it for a while and getting frustrated with not seeing the results you want, hang in there! This drug does take time to work and the results do vary for each person.

MemberMember
(@sumisee)

Posted : 09/05/2013 3:29 pm

Very well said and you're so right! Congratulations on your success with it! if I were you, I would continue taking spiro forever because the risks with spiro are so minimal compared to bc pills (synthetic hormones replacing our natural wonderful hormones) and you can only take bc pills until menopause then you must come off it and the acne can return and with spiro, there is no need to stop taking it. elderly people take it for their blood pressure. it truly is a wonderful drug!!!! I have been on it for 6 months almost now and at first I hated it cus it was making my acne worse and made my hair fall out but it does take time and I did clear and side effects diminished!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/06/2013 10:02 am

Sumisee, you said in one of my posts that you cannot become resistant to spiro and here you've said you can take it forever, I'm just wondering if your doctor told you this? Because, as I said, mine (who is a jerk) told me "It's possible". Also, was your acne cystic/nodular?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/06/2013 2:25 pm

Sumisee, you said in one of my posts that you cannot become resistant to spiro and here you've said you can take it forever, I'm just wondering if your doctor told you this? Because, as I said, mine (who is a jerk) told me "It's possible". Also, was your acne cystic/nodular?

There was a study done where they tracked female spironolactone users for eight years, and determined that there were no long-term side effects.

As far as I understand the science of how spironolactone works (which is by binding to androgen receptors before testosterone can), there is not a way for your body to become "immune" to the drug.

However I would carefully watch what other medications you are taking, since some other medications could potentially block spironolactone's action or modify it.

Something in particular to watch out for:

- Thyroid medications

- DHEA

- HGH

- Any supplement claiming to be "anti-aging" or to "increase muscle growth" or "enhance performance" or "increase libido"...they tend to just be stimulating testosterone

- Anything that changes your hormonal makeup, such as birth control pills or implants

- Increased consumption of hormones through dairy, soy, sugar/carbs (stimulates insulin responses which raise testosterone)

- Lifestyle changes, particularly if you become more active, which stimulates testosterone

- Diet pills or supplements, protein shakes, protein powders, SlimFast type shakes (contain whey protein and lots of sugar...)

- Progesterone cream, estrogen cream, testosterone cream

- Wild yam cream

- Vitex/chasteberry

- DIM

Any of those things can change how effective spironolactone is.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/06/2013 2:49 pm

Green Gables, could vitamin B complex, CLA or vitamin D negatively interact with spiro?

Also, as a vegetarian, I have had pea protein shakes in the past, Vega brand I think. Are those ok?

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 09/06/2013 8:18 pm

There was a study done where they tracked female spironolactone users for eight years, and determined that there were no long-term side effects.

As far as I understand the science of how spironolactone works (which is by binding to androgen receptors before testosterone can), there is not a way for your body to become "immune" to the drug.

However I would carefully watch what other medications you are taking, since some other medications could potentially block spironolactone's action or modify it.

Something in particular to watch out for:

- Thyroid medications

- DHEA

- HGH

- Any supplement claiming to be "anti-aging" or to "increase muscle growth" or "enhance performance" or "increase libido"...they tend to just be stimulating testosterone

- Anything that changes your hormonal makeup, such as birth control pills or implants

- Increased consumption of hormones through dairy, soy, sugar/carbs (stimulates insulin responses which raise testosterone)

- Lifestyle changes, particularly if you become more active, which stimulates testosterone

- Diet pills or supplements, protein shakes, protein powders, SlimFast type shakes (contain whey protein and lots of sugar...)

- Progesterone cream, estrogen cream, testosterone cream

- Wild yam cream

- Vitex/chasteberry

- DIM

Any of those things can change how effective spironolactone is.

This is very informative, especially as I will need to take the spiro on an ongoing basis.

I'll keep in mind my diet and it's interesting the connection between insulin and hormones.

MemberMember
(@sumisee)

Posted : 09/07/2013 4:16 pm

Brenmc, my derm told me that I can take it forever if the blood work keeps coming back normal and as long as I don't get pregnant. she also said that you cant become resistant to it like antibiotics. its not an antibiotic. the 25 mg of spiro is still keeping my acne at bay. I never had severe acne nor the type of acne that leaves pits in the skin. I just get a few cysts before my period and I get all the time a ton of puss-filled pimples (gross) around my mouth and forehead with clogged pores and oily skin. my acne is moderate for the most part maybe some days mild-moderate.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/07/2013 5:17 pm

Thanks Sumisee! What a relief to know that you can't become resistant to spiro.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/03/2013 9:44 am

I quit spiro 6 months ago because it was temporarily unavailable in my country.. i saw it as a chance to take a look at my skin after almost 2 years... At first it was good but from August i started breaking out like i used to before spiro.. i realised that my skin isn't ready - and probably will never be- to be clear by itself.. I am 3 weeks on..during the previous attempt i ate crappy, i didn't know about diet relation to acne.. and yet from the 3rd week i could see the improvement. I was also stressed because it was the exams period at university. I continued to break out for another 3 months but not like i did before... Now i am at the 3 weeks mark and i have a nodule forming on my chin.. the difference is that now i don't even eat an ice cream and a chocolate in the same day, i am not stressed by exams, i drink spearmint to help with hormones, i put all these anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial things on my face..

I am so afraid it won't work this time... I wish i could go back 6 months ago....