Notifications
Clear all

Should I Stop Using Bp And Go See A Derm

MemberMember
(@slinkcupid817)

Posted : 09/04/2013 1:31 pm

Back when my acne was more severe, I went to the clinic and they prescribed me some BP as well as Clindamycin Phosphate. I used the BP every night for the past year,with my face wash being Oxy Clinical BP 10%! I noticed that BP improved my acne and left my face very dry when I went outside. My problem now is that I keep using it, and still have red marks around my cheeks and eye bags (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Should I stop using it and go see a dermatologist? What I'm afraid of is that If I stop using my medication I will eventually breakout more . Here are a couple a pictures.

MemberMember
(@member1)

Posted : 09/04/2013 2:29 pm

Hey, Your acne marks really aren't that bad from looking at the picture, I know sometimes the light is different! And of course, to you it's one of the worst things. There doesn't like there is any acne on your face to treat other than the marks, BP does make your face red too so maybe this could be making your marks appear more red. Also, I guess you're going to have to stop using BP one day, if you do stop using it and you notice breakouts just re-apply it again maybe? In regards to the marks, I'm not sure what to recommend! Dermatologists, in my opinion have not helped me, so I won't comment! Good luck though, I hope you get what you want

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 09/04/2013 6:29 pm

Another poster and I were just talking about this on a different thread. My skin is so reliant on BP, i can't get off of it no matter how hard I try. I just can't risk the acne that comes when I don't use it because that leaves me with scars and marks that take months to go away.

But we're all different. If you try to stop using it, I would do it in sections and see how it goes. Maybe start with your forehead.

For me personally, I have to use a cream cleanser with SA. I can't use one with bp, because it's overkill for my skin. Good luck. It's hard getting off of that stuff.

MemberMember
(@slinkcupid817)

Posted : 09/04/2013 7:04 pm

Another poster and I were just talking about this on a different thread. My skin is so reliant on BP, i can't get off of it no matter how hard I try. I just can't risk the acne that comes when I don't use it because that leaves me with scars and marks that take months to go away.

But we're all different. If you try to stop using it, I would do it in sections and see how it goes. Maybe start with your forehead.

For me personally, I have to use a cream cleanser with SA. I can't use one with bp, because it's overkill for my skin. Good luck. It's hard getting off of that stuff.

I can't remember that last time I was off BP. I would say that I have applied BP every night and morning for about 2 years. It has definitely cleared my major acne this last year, but I'm kind of worried that if a switch to another type of medication it will get worse.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 09/04/2013 8:10 pm

For now, maybe try cutting back to a 5% or 2.5% BP? I've read that a lower % BP is just as effective and it should be less drying.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 09/04/2013 8:52 pm

I've been using BP since highschool, so that's 15 years for me. I won't bother trying to stop using it again. It keeps me nearly acne free.

And I agree with DJM204- 2.5% works better for me than the higher concentrations. I have very sensitive skin and anything higher will cause me acne/redness/peeling. A thin layer of 2.5 twice a day is perfect.

Along with my oily, sensitive skin, I also have the unfortunate combination skin. So around my mouth it can get dry and flaky (though the flakes are soaked with oil. Still baffles me on how that works) But I just use a little less around that area and I'm good to go. Also, for years, I used BP AFTER my moisturizer. Still worked just as well, but that wiped out any drying effects.

And this is just my personal opinion/suggestion-but I would try using a different cleanser. I think that for some, once the monster acne is better, they can cool it on using too much BP, and then it will be sort of a preventative measure instead. It sounds like your face doesn't need that much anymore.

I use neutrogena deep clean cream cleanser. It's pretty awesome and it's the only cleanser my face will tolerate. Cleans well, feels tingly and won't aggravate my oily or my sensitive skin. Maybe give that a shot if you're up to it and see how it goes.